Battery life on MIUI

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
Ok so....It seems like v5 OR MIUI in general is just sucking my battery dry. So a few questions.

1) Is anybody else getting horrid battery life?

2) Could it be because im using the modded miui and blue steel which causes some issues?

3) My usage are as follows: Display: 40% (which seems kinda high as I dont check my phone very often. maybe once every 30 min and i keep screen brightness as the lowest level)
Voice calls : 37% (with only 10 minutes of talktime REALLY?! I dont think thats normal)
Phone idle: 14%
Cell standby: 12%
Other random apps 1% each.

Edit: I also unplugged my phone at 3pm today and its now 9. I worked from 5-8 so verrrrrrry little usage then and average usage before and after

Last edited:

sparty569

Reaction score
I have noticed that the battery life is not great. My GPS seems to run for some reason when I am not actively running a program. When I get off of work, I used to be at 80% normally, 70% at worst and now I am 60% or lower.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
My battery just plumbeted since my post it went from 40 to 20 with no use.....besides this....ugh

Edit down to 5, not even 15 min after it being at 20 no apps running.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Personally I dont see why people complain about battery life. Its a smart phone with an lcd screen. D1 gets decent life compared to something like EVO 4g.

If you use it...it runs battery down. Thats the result of owning a smart phone with an lcd touchscreen. May I suggest a car charger, USB for computer (if you work somewhere you can plug it in to your computer workstation) A second battery and charger (pretty cheap online)

I dont see it being ROM specific.

Here is my battery use using miui v5

Chevy 1.0ghz lv kernel

set cpu overclocked to 1000mhz.
Profiles for heat, low battery, and screen off (this is the major saver)

Looking at my usage in settings I got 15 hrs 40 minutes

voicecalls 34 minutes of calling
display 18 % (1 hour usage approx)
cell standby 18%
phone idle 12%

then its just various apps and android system, (ie playing angry birds while sitting on the toilet at work) lol.

I still have 30% charge left.

While at work 30% of the time my standby is spent searching for signal (poor signal indoors)

That is normal usage on a day for me. Well...let me take that back...I dont usually talk 30 minutes in a day to people.

16 hours under normal usage is not much different than any other ROM ive used.

Go to settings>applications>running services...and see what is running a lot. (weather channel, genie widget news and weather, etc...if they are contantly running like they are designed to...it uses juice). Personally I delete geniewidget because its pointless when I get news from tv/radio/gossip/or my browser if I want to search for it. I use BW for weather...so no need for the weather channel or other service to run all the time.

GPS off in location and security...wifi on in there.

Ive gotten a lot better life if I put my phone in plane mode while at work, although I dont get message/calls this way.

I just dont see what all the complaining is about...and those of you complaining, you are probably using your phone a lot. If not...post up some screenshots for us of your battery use, hours since unplugged, running services etc and will suggest methods to save you some juice.

MTO, its possible your battery is going to crap.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
Ill check everything out. It could be my battery.

Yes I know its a smart phone with an lcd display. But the fact is that even last week I could easily get a day and a half with the exact same usage as im doing now. I dont know where it went.

I just let my battery die and now gonna charge it full. Its just such a sharp dropoff that im stupefied.

What about the almost 40% of battery usage on 10 minutes and 30 seconds for voice calls. thats not right. which like i said, could very well be the battery going to crap

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
when I flash a new Rom. I full charge and on 100% charge boot to recovery... go to advanced... wipe battery stats. reboot. use the phone for a day w/o quick charges... then plug it in and let it charge completely again. that's what I do anyway

Sent from a Rogue Droid

tu3218

Reaction score
Ill check everything out. It could be my battery.

Yes I know its a smart phone with an lcd display. But the fact is that even last week I could easily get a day and a half with the exact same usage as im doing now. I dont know where it went.

I just let my battery die and now gonna charge it full. Its just such a sharp dropoff that im stupefied.

What about the almost 40% of battery usage on 10 minutes and 30 seconds for voice calls. thats not right. which like i said, could very well be the battery going to crap

hey, I recently also just started to experience a huge drop in my battery life. I went into running services and a recent app that I installed was winamp. One of the running services was something with winamp in regard to wifi. I uninstalled winamp and I'm going to see how my battery goes now. Just a possible suggestion. That was my only recently new app installed when I started experiencing horrible battery life.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
Looking at your usage, it looks like you have way more usage than I do and my battery lasted a whole 7 hours. Triple my voice calls. I just cleared out my running services minus the usual suspects. Im gonna let it charge overnight, use as normal and I will report back.

Edit: Tu...I also just installed winamp last night. but it was like this before winamp. but it seemed to be worse with winamp installed. I didnt get to check the running services before it died. when i booted it back up it wasnt in running services so I cant say for sure whether or not it is the main culprit

Last edited:

tu3218

Reaction score
yeah I'll report back tomorrow on if it has any effect for future references if it seems to be part of the problem.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
before you report back to us...also do this.

In terminal

su
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
cd /cache/dalvik-cache
rm *
reboot

charge your phone completely...100 percent. Boot into recovery, go to advanced menu, wipe battery stats. Reboot. When you do this...make sure you are wiping batt stats when your phone is 100% charged.

Then use normally for a day w/o connecting to a charger througout the day...no little short charges or anything. Then let your battery run down pretty low (some people will let it go all the way till the phone shuts off), then plug your phone in and full charge again...this time..dont touch it...just let it sit there and charge.

After all this...come back and report your battery life again. It will take at least a day or two for you to report back.

basically you are wiping dalvik cache, and resetting your CPUs battery memory...and starting over. Thats why its important to charge 100 percent (so your cpu knows how to recognize a full charge) and let it run down pretty low...(cpu recognize full discharge)...then completely charge it again...and use normally. This will help your CPU report to you accurate usage. Then we would be able to see if you have something else going on (ie needing a new battery)

Last edited:

sparty569

Reaction score
Personally I dont see why people complain about battery life. Its a smart phone with an lcd screen. D1 gets decent life compared to something like EVO 4g.

If you use it...it runs battery down. Thats the result of owning a smart phone with an lcd touchscreen. May I suggest a car charger, USB for computer (if you work somewhere you can plug it in to your computer workstation) A second battery and charger (pretty cheap online)

Chevy 1.0ghz lv kernel

cell standby 18%
phone idle 12%

then its just various apps and android system, (ie playing angry birds while sitting on the toilet at work) lol.

While at work 30% of the time my standby is spent searching for signal (poor signal indoors)

That is normal usage on a day for me. Well...let me take that back...I dont usually talk 30 minutes in a day to people.

Go to settings>applications>running services...and see what is running a lot. (weather channel, genie widget news and weather, etc...if they are contantly running like they are designed to...it uses juice). Personally I delete geniewidget because its pointless when I get news from tv/radio/gossip/or my browser if I want to search for it. I use BW for weather...so no need for the weather channel or other service to run all the time.

Ive gotten a lot better life if I put my phone in plane mode while at work, although I dont get message/calls this way.

I just dont see what all the complaining is about...and those of you complaining, you are probably using your phone a lot. If not...post up some screenshots for us of your battery use, hours since unplugged, running services etc and will suggest methods to save you some juice.

Gee, thanks for the lesson and incorrect assumptions.

When I was on LithiumMod, with the same usage during the day, I have 10 - 20% more battery than when I get home, that I do with MIUI. Same apps, pretty much the same usage. I use Dimmer, so my screen is always set to 10 I think, not even Auto.

So far, it seems pretty ROM specific to me.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
I already wiped everything last night before you posted lol. We will see how it goes.

I'm not ready to call it rom specific but getting there.....well more like v5.

Also I wanna point out whenever I'm using any app...facebook,droid forums, angry birds, that's when I see the most drop....in fact typing this its gone from 90 to 70. I charged it last night took it off the charger about 5 am. With no use it was at 90....which is okay I guess.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Chevy 1.0ghz lv kernel

cell standby 18%
phone idle 12%

Gee, thanks for the lesson and incorrect assumptions.

When I was on LithiumMod, with the same usage during the day, I have 10 - 20% more battery than when I get home, that I do with MIUI. Same apps, pretty much the same usage. I use Dimmer, so my screen is always set to 10 I think, not even Auto.

So far, it seems pretty ROM specific to me.

Like I said...post up some screen shots of your battery use page, whats using what...running services...and time unplugged. Let the pictures and fact speak for you. ;)

Of course Im "assuming". First you havent given much detail on your usage, second...its YOUR phone not mine. I dont know what you do on a daily basis on your phone. What else can I do besides "assume"?

The point is Im trying to HELP you...even with the little detail youve provided...so please dont bite hands here...and imply Im incorrectly assuming things when I have asked you for specifics (ie screenshots containing your usage data). Or...I can just not help you at all and let you "assume" your battery consumption is ROM specific.

Last edited:

zenulator

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Nothing changed system wise from v4 to v5. Same kernel just different apps/frameworks. Also when ever you flash a new rom make sure you're battery is fully charged. Flashing this way you can bypass the battery recalibration mentioned earlier. Also turning off when not in use greatly improves battery life.

tu3218

Reaction score
Well I haven't bothered doing all those other mentioned tips about going into recovery, etc. But I will say after uninstalling winamp, this morning I used my phone for 5 hours, screen being on for 2 hours and I had 60% left. To me this is pretty good, so it seems for me at least, the culprit was winamp. It also was a reason my wifi wasn't working.