Battery life on MIUI

Discussion in 'Team D1-MIUI' started by o Fi1thy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy New Member

Ok so....It seems like v5 OR MIUI in general is just sucking my battery dry. So a few questions.

1) Is anybody else getting horrid battery life?

2) Could it be because im using the modded miui and blue steel which causes some issues?

3) My usage are as follows: Display: 40% (which seems kinda high as I dont check my phone very often. maybe once every 30 min and i keep screen brightness as the lowest level)
    Voice calls : 37% (with only 10 minutes of talktime REALLY?! I dont think thats normal)
    Phone idle: 14%
    Cell standby: 12%
    Other random apps 1% each.

Edit: I also unplugged my phone at 3pm today and its now 9. I worked from 5-8 so verrrrrrry little usage then and average usage before and after
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. sparty569

sparty569 New Member

I have noticed that the battery life is not great. My GPS seems to run for some reason when I am not actively running a program. When I get off of work, I used to be at 80% normally, 70% at worst and now I am 60% or lower.
  3. o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy New Member

My battery just plumbeted since my post it went from 40 to 20 with no use.....besides this....ugh

Edit down to 5, not even 15 min after it being at 20 no apps running.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Personally I dont see why people complain about battery life. Its a smart phone with an lcd screen. D1 gets decent life compared to something like EVO 4g.

If you use it...it runs battery down. Thats the result of owning a smart phone with an lcd touchscreen. May I suggest a car charger, USB for computer (if you work somewhere you can plug it in to your computer workstation) A second battery and charger (pretty cheap online)

I dont see it being ROM specific.

Here is my battery use using miui v5

Chevy 1.0ghz lv kernel

set cpu overclocked to 1000mhz.
    Profiles for heat, low battery, and screen off (this is the major saver)

Looking at my usage in settings I got 15 hrs 40 minutes

voicecalls 34 minutes of calling
    display 18 % (1 hour usage approx)
    cell standby 18%
    phone idle 12%

then its just various apps and android system, (ie playing angry birds while sitting on the toilet at work) lol.

I still have 30% charge left.

While at work 30% of the time my standby is spent searching for signal (poor signal indoors)

That is normal usage on a day for me. Well...let me take that back...I dont usually talk 30 minutes in a day to people.

16 hours under normal usage is not much different than any other ROM ive used.

Go to settings>applications>running services...and see what is running a lot. (weather channel, genie widget news and weather, etc...if they are contantly running like they are designed to...it uses juice). Personally I delete geniewidget because its pointless when I get news from tv/radio/gossip/or my browser if I want to search for it. I use BW for weather...so no need for the weather channel or other service to run all the time.

GPS off in location and security...wifi on in there.

Ive gotten a lot better life if I put my phone in plane mode while at work, although I dont get message/calls this way.

I just dont see what all the complaining is about...and those of you complaining, you are probably using your phone a lot. If not...post up some screenshots for us of your battery use, hours since unplugged, running services etc and will suggest methods to save you some juice.

MTO, its possible your battery is going to crap.
  5. o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy New Member

Ill check everything out. It could be my battery.

Yes I know its a smart phone with an lcd display. But the fact is that even last week I could easily get a day and a half with the exact same usage as im doing now. I dont know where it went.

I just let my battery die and now gonna charge it full. Its just such a sharp dropoff that im stupefied.

What about the almost 40% of battery usage on 10 minutes and 30 seconds for voice calls. thats not right. which like i said, could very well be the battery going to crap
  6. yakitori

when I flash a new Rom. I full charge and on 100% charge boot to recovery... go to advanced... wipe battery stats. reboot. use the phone for a day w/o quick charges... then plug it in and let it charge completely again. that's what I do anyway

Sent from a Rogue Droid
  7. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

hey, I recently also just started to experience a huge drop in my battery life. I went into running services and a recent app that I installed was winamp. One of the running services was something with winamp in regard to wifi. I uninstalled winamp and I'm going to see how my battery goes now. Just a possible suggestion. That was my only recently new app installed when I started experiencing horrible battery life.
  8. o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy New Member

Looking at your usage, it looks like you have way more usage than I do and my battery lasted a whole 7 hours. Triple my voice calls. I just cleared out my running services minus the usual suspects. Im gonna let it charge overnight, use as normal and I will report back.

Edit: Tu...I also just installed winamp last night. but it was like this before winamp. but it seemed to be worse with winamp installed. I didnt get to check the running services before it died. when i booted it back up it wasnt in running services so I cant say for sure whether or not it is the main culprit
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

yeah I'll report back tomorrow on if it has any effect for future references if it seems to be part of the problem.
  10. yakitori

before you report back to us...also do this.

In terminal

su
    cd /data/dalvik-cache
    rm *
    cd /cache/dalvik-cache
    rm *
    reboot

charge your phone completely...100 percent. Boot into recovery, go to advanced menu, wipe battery stats. Reboot. When you do this...make sure you are wiping batt stats when your phone is 100% charged.

Then use normally for a day w/o connecting to a charger througout the day...no little short charges or anything. Then let your battery run down pretty low (some people will let it go all the way till the phone shuts off), then plug your phone in and full charge again...this time..dont touch it...just let it sit there and charge.

After all this...come back and report your battery life again. It will take at least a day or two for you to report back.

basically you are wiping dalvik cache, and resetting your CPUs battery memory...and starting over. Thats why its important to charge 100 percent (so your cpu knows how to recognize a full charge) and let it run down pretty low...(cpu recognize full discharge)...then completely charge it again...and use normally. This will help your CPU report to you accurate usage. Then we would be able to see if you have something else going on (ie needing a new battery)
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  11. sparty569

sparty569 New Member

Gee, thanks for the lesson and incorrect assumptions.

When I was on LithiumMod, with the same usage during the day, I have 10 - 20% more battery than when I get home, that I do with MIUI. Same apps, pretty much the same usage. I use Dimmer, so my screen is always set to 10 I think, not even Auto.

So far, it seems pretty ROM specific to me.
  12. o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy New Member

I already wiped everything last night before you posted lol. We will see how it goes.

I'm not ready to call it rom specific but getting there.....well more like v5.

Also I wanna point out whenever I'm using any app...facebook,droid forums, angry birds, that's when I see the most drop....in fact typing this its gone from 90 to 70. I charged it last night took it off the charger about 5 am. With no use it was at 90....which is okay I guess.

13. yakitori

Like I said...post up some screen shots of your battery use page, whats using what...running services...and time unplugged. Let the pictures and fact speak for you. ;)

Of course Im "assuming". First you havent given much detail on your usage, second...its YOUR phone not mine. I dont know what you do on a daily basis on your phone. What else can I do besides "assume"?

The point is Im trying to HELP you...even with the little detail youve provided...so please dont bite hands here...and imply Im incorrectly assuming things when I have asked you for specifics (ie screenshots containing your usage data). Or...I can just not help you at all and let you "assume" your battery consumption is ROM specific.
  14. zenulator

zenulator Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Nothing changed system wise from v4 to v5. Same kernel just different apps/frameworks. Also when ever you flash a new rom make sure you're battery is fully charged. Flashing this way you can bypass the battery recalibration mentioned earlier. Also turning off when not in use greatly improves battery life.

15. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

Well I haven't bothered doing all those other mentioned tips about going into recovery, etc. But I will say after uninstalling winamp, this morning I used my phone for 5 hours, screen being on for 2 hours and I had 60% left. To me this is pretty good, so it seems for me at least, the culprit was winamp. It also was a reason my wifi wasn't working.
  16. ipadl

ipadl New Member

I tend to agree with the sentiment about v5, but this is based purely on experience. As I mentioned in my own thread, I went from SS 4.8 able to make it through an entire day on a single charge unless I was using it heavily. With MIUI v5, I could barely make it 1/2 of a day. I have noticed this everytime I have flashed v5 except last night when I didn't setup any of my email accounts, so this could be the culprit. This morning, with v5 running, I drove 7 minutes from my house to a store and dropped 10% not using the phone at all. By the time I got to work 30 minutes later, I was down to 70%. This is much worse than I have experienced on just about any other ROM. I'm hoping that v6 is better on the battery.

Curiously, I have my email settings set to "automatic" or Push. Is it possible that MIUI could be polling for email rather than waiting until it arrives? This could be killing my battery. . .
  17. yakitori

did you read the thread?

others:
    Also, I just checked my phone usage and have 90 percent left at 3 hr 13 minutes.

Another thing to think about when it comes to your battery is...(if you are using auto brightness) the ambient lighting in the place you use your phone the most. The brighter ambient light is going to make your phone automatically increase brightness.

Just a thought.
  18. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Hi Yak,

I did read the thread, and while it isn't clear why some are seeing battery performance issues with MIUI (v5 was the most drastic for me), the issues are there and have been reported by many. I have the utmost respect for the guys who are porting and patching these ROMs and am looking forward to a MIUI that is stable enough for my use. YMMV.

Seth
  19. o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy New Member

Yak,

I really think it was something about v5 that wasnt agreeing with some of our phones. The rule of thumb around here is every droid is different. The same file/rom/theme whatever will have 1000 ways of working on 1000 different droids. What works for some people wont work for others, that being said I put on v6 after having to charge my battery after 4 hours of use on v5. Im on 9 hours with 40% left with the same use.

I love MIUI, It has finally stopped me from flashing roms every other day. I plan to stick with this as long as its 75% stable lol. I dont mind a force close here or there. As long has it can do the basic things that get me through the day then im a happy camper.
  20. JLangevin

JLangevin New Member

I also had battery issues with v5... I had to keep my phone plugged in at work for fear it would suck the battery dry. Sometimes the phone would completely die at night when not being used.

With v6.2 I have noticed significant increase (as I did with 6.1 also). Im pretty anal with my settings and the roms are setup identical with the same apps and settings.

Not sure why it mattered with v5 but it did, and its not our imaginations. But then again, who cares? Its fixed in v6.x
Search tags for this page
galaxy s3 miui v5 battery per cent fix
how to save battery on miui
juice defender miui v5

miui battery drain

miui battery drain fix
miui battery drain solved
miui battery drian

miui battery life

miui cell standby drain
miui rom low battery
miui using too much battery