Battery Life on Driod razr

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Turning off data does not turn off incoming phone calls or texts. When you are in meetings, classes or at a job where you should not be getting interrupted by phone calls, bleeps, beeps, and vibrates from your phone sleep mode is probably the perfect answer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Data off and vibrate!!! Imagine you had a pregnant wife and she calls saying its time. Screw the meeting I'm going to the birth of my child. Now if its sleep you don't get anything.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just shut data off unless I want to use twitter or something... then I just turn it on

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bacK_N_87 said:
Data off and vibrate!!! Imagine you had a pregnant wife and she calls saying its time. Screw the meeting I'm going to the birth of my child. Now if its sleep you don't get anything.

I suppose if I had a pregnant wife or even my kids for that matter, they always have the information to reach me by alternative methods in an emergency. A pregnant wife, I think I would make an exception and explain to my colleagues that I need to be a phone call away and they would understand, therefore obviously I would not be using sleep mode. I was never meant to be available to everyone 24/7.

My employees sign a written agreement that they are not to use their phones while working and if they are caught, their phone will be kept in office while they are on the clock. As part of this agreement they are given the emergency numbers that schools, family, children can contact. Anyone who does not provide alternative emergency contact information to their families is irresponsible, imho!

kevins686

Reaction score
My employees sign a written agreement that they are not to use their phones while working and if they are caught, their phone will be kept in office while they are on the clock.

Sounds like the teacher taking away little Johnny's slingshot till the end of class ;-)

In 2008, a commuter train engineer in L.A. was busy texting his BFF when he ran a red signal at the end of a siding and ran head-on into a freight train, killing 25 people. In the aftermath, the Federal Railroad Administration passed an emergency order banning cellphone use by train crews while engaged in safety-sensitive functions. My job is to supervise and direct train traffic (think air-traffic control for trains), and the order has been interpreted to include people who do what I do. My last company would yank you out of service if you were caught at your console with a cellphone; my current employer seems to be satisfied with us simply not using them while on duty.

thegreatone3

Reaction score
I can't afford to turn data off when the screen is off because I rely heavily on data-based services like WhatsApp, Viber, and Voxer. And of course, push e-mail. I also love my breaking news push notifications from CNN, ESPN, etc. Real-time updates from these services is really why I have a smartphone.

kevins686

Reaction score
I can't afford to turn data off when the screen is off because I rely heavily on data-based services like WhatsApp, Viber, and Voxer. And of course, push e-mail. I also love my breaking news push notifications from CNN, ESPN, etc. Real-time updates from these services is really why I have a smartphone.

But wouldn't those apps and services all update as soon as you turned your screen (and thus your data) on again?

thegreatone3

Reaction score
But wouldn't those apps and services all update as soon as you turned your screen (and thus your data) on again?
Yes, but again I like to get those notifications when they occur in real time. Not all at once a couple hours later. I know it's my choice to want this and I pay for it in battery life.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
thegreatone3 said:
Yes, but again I like to get those notifications when they occur in real time. Not all at once a couple hours later. I know it's my choice to want this and I pay for it in battery life.

Why would you check them hours later.? Just check your phone very now and then..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

thegreatone3

Reaction score
Why would you check them hours later.? Just check your phone very now and then..
It's not always hours later. That was just an example. Here’s a very real situation for me that requires background data. I receive many calls from family & friends from overseas. When using apps like Vonage or Viber (free international calls using mobile data or wifi), you need data on to here the "ring ring" . :) Again, this is what works for me. Not saying it applies to everyone.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Sometimes in life you need to compromise... that's all I can say here. :)

If you HAVE GOT to leave your data on... perhaps you need to look at extended batteries???

There are several different options... or trade your device in on a maxx???

You can turn off sync when the screen times out, and not turn off data....still, when the screen times out, data stops, comes back when the phone wakes.

Another option... keep your charger and car charger near by at all times. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving this to the battery sub forum.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
thegreatone3 said:

That's cool but this thread was about battery life.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
I suppose if I had a pregnant wife or even my kids for that matter, they always have the information to reach me by alternative methods in an emergency. A pregnant wife, I think I would make an exception and explain to my colleagues that I need to be a phone call away and they would understand, therefore obviously I would not be using sleep mode. I was never meant to be available to everyone 24/7.

My employees sign a written agreement that they are not to use their phones while working and if they are caught, their phone will be kept in office while they are on the clock. As part of this agreement they are given the emergency numbers that schools, family, children can contact. Anyone who does not provide alternative emergency contact information to their families is irresponsible, imho!

That was just an example. To each his own. If I had to not use it then I wouldn't. However, I use my phone at work. I work in a hospital and they are large so keeping in contact is important to me. My battery benefits from not being bogged down by a network all day even though I'm not it. I play on my break.