Battery life on CM7. Let's hear it...

ABQNM

Reaction score
Black uses more battery then white. I did a lot of research on this in my early android days. In order to produce a black pixel, every color has to be activated, whereas white only requires an open pixel to allow the back light through. Even though it seems odd, white actually uses less battery for the display.

On a DroidX this is entirely true. The backlight is on constantly and to create black, all 3 colors have to be powered to block out the backlight from shining through. This is why our phone's "black" still glows a little bit.

This is not the case with OLED (or AMOLED or SFOMFGDTIAGAMOLED or whatever new OLED screen they have now). With OLED screens, the light is generated from the pixel itself rather than light shining through the back. This means the pixels are dark by default and are only powered when anything other than black is needed. This is why the Samsung Galaxy S phones have much deeper blacks. On these phones, yes black would save you power, but unfortunately, on the DX, white is the battery saver.

hacku

Reaction score
This is my first day on CM7, and I must say I'm not impressed by the battery life either.

Hopefully they get it figured out.

hacku

Reaction score
So my phone just completely died and I was able to get about 11 hours of moderate use. I could usually get 16-18 hours of moderate use before on stock GB from TBH before.

I'll stick with this for a bit to see if they get the battery issue figured out, otherwise I'll probably go back to stock GB... :(

hacku

Reaction score
I'm getting about 25 - 35 hours before really having to plug it in. About the same as Liberty 0.6. Otherwise the two ROMs can't be compared. No disrepect to the Liberty crew, but CM7 takes it to a new level.

Best battery life I had was with ZS 1.7 - about 60+ hours. But CM7 is worth it.

I would love to know what you're doing differently that you're getting 25-35 hours on CM7. I'm almost positive I wouldn't get that much even if I left the phone on stand by all day...lol

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Black uses more battery then white. I did a lot of research on this in my early android days. In order to produce a black pixel, every color has to be activated, whereas white only requires an open pixel to allow the back light through. Even though it seems odd, white actually uses less battery for the display.
[/QUOTE]

We will have to agree to disagree on this one bro.:)

Save Your Smartphone’s Battery With Dark Wallpapers And Themes | Lifehacker Australia :Save Your Smartphone’s Battery With Dark Wallpapers And Themes

About Black Google - Black Google Mobile :Black Is Better

How much phone battery can you save by switching to dark wallpapers and themes? | SHIFT_beep :How much phone battery can you save by switching to dark wallpapers and themes?

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
10 hours? That is quite low... Unless you have very poor signal and are using a very large amount of data or calls. I don't know what apps are running, but that seems like there is an issue.

As far as the reference to blur elements, that is true on blur based ROMs such as Liberty and ApeX since they are still running on the blur framework that moto built into the ROM. Since CM7 hijacks init and loads its own, none of the blur framework exists, so nothing is there to look for it.

Negative. Im getting full signal, I work at verizon, & live 1/2 mile from the store, where I receive FULL signal. No apps are running, just the stock ROM, debloated at that. Noone whom I have talked to gets better than 10-14 hours w/ realistic use. 2nd INIT doesnt bypass the security scripts that I was refering to. Much like the BIOS on a PC, this is built into the DX hardware. CM7 doesnt Hijack INIT either, @CVPCS uses 2nd INIT to load CM7 onto the DX. Cyanogen Mod itself does nothing. & yes, the security bios remains intact to check for blur. You are right about 1 thing, no blur framework exists. To further bolster my point, that the system check 'bios' remains in place, that is why you have to use a patch on CM4DX to use video/camera/torch/mms, etc. those files are proprietary to MotoBlur. a lot of those apps like MMS run from the motoblur.apk, thats why you had the need for a patch early on & couldnt send MMS messages.
Thanks ~ :icon_eek:

Chillout

Reaction score
I got the notification and flashed the latest nightly late last night. Battery seems to have slightly improved over the last 2 nightlies.

Wuffpack99

Reaction score
I'm getting about 25 - 35 hours before really having to plug it in. About the same as Liberty 0.6. Otherwise the two ROMs can't be compared. No disrepect to the Liberty crew, but CM7 takes it to a new level.

I would love to know what you're doing differently that you're getting 25-35 hours on CM7. I'm almost positive I wouldn't get that much even if I left the phone on stand by all day...lol

Battery calibration seems to help, I also use Quickclock and use the Balanced profile from it. I've also adjusted the backlight at the 0 - 10 sensor range down to 20.

hacku

Reaction score

Battery calibration seems to help, I also use Quickclock and use the Balanced profile from it. I've also adjusted the backlight at the 0 - 10 sensor range down to 20.

You must NEVER use your phone, because those tweaks would not yield more than double the amount of time people are normally getting from their DX.

Hell, last night I was down to 10% and was just texting back and forth with a friend, and I would see the battery dropping about 1% every couple of minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes.... :(

Chillout

Reaction score
25-30 hours before having to plug in your phone...WOW!! how much do you use phone, or do you use your phone at all? LOL

mtbhk44

Reaction score

You must NEVER use your phone, because those tweaks would not yield more than double the amount of time people are normally getting from their DX.

Hell, last night I was down to 10% and was just texting back and forth with a friend, and I would see the battery dropping about 1% every couple of minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes.... :(

I think that makes sense. The screen being on is causing the battery drain. I honestly don't think that has anything to do with the ROM. I could be way off, but never having 1% battery increments before there would be no way to see this happening in real time before. Now that this is possible, you can actually SEE the battery draining right before your eyes!

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a free power management app? The Blur power management app was awesome, mainly for the off-hours low power usage mode, and I'm looking for something similar (though my phone only used about 8% from 12 AM - 7:30 AM, so that's already pretty good). JuiceDefender is supposed to be good, but I really don't want to pay $5 to just save a few battery percentage points of power each night.

rfranken

Reaction score
i wish people would stop saying this cm7 nightly gave me better battery than that cm7 nightly.
nothing has changed that would effect your DX in that way. not for several weeks.

development is dead on cm4dx.
yeah yeah....we all luv cvpcs and what he has done (and we think he is still working on it) but nothing has been changed for a long time. I'm sure it will and it will be great. so don't jump all over me for commenting.

speed wise...cm7 is off the charts good.
battery wise....its off the charts the worst ever.
customization wise....its the best. but liberty isn't far behind.
but cm7 has a lot of work arounds other Roms don't need.

edit. another plus for cm7. the themes. they are much more in depth and complete than themes with other roms.

Chillout

Reaction score
I said it appears to be be getting better, I didn't say it was great. I have no idea what's in these nightlies. I'm just reporting back how my DX is working.

Battery life is still nowhere near as good as other roms but that's the only complaint I have. Other than that it's great; I'll hang with CM7 and see how the devs can hopefully improve it over time.