Battery life on CM7. Let's hear it...

samuraibsd

Reaction score
Well after a few solid days of use, I can say the battery life isn't as good as ApeX was. I like CM7 simply for usability, but I do hope the battery life improves. I'm using a low voltage 1 GHz clock right now, and I'm thinking of putting it back to stock clock speed and perhaps trying to underclock it to about 800 MHz to pull a little more battery out of it. Granted, I listen to music/podcasts and have the wifi on all day, but that wasn't too much of a problem on ApeX, while my battery actually died before I left work today, of course on the one day I don't bring my phone charger.

It'll improve, though, I'm sure.

sigua

Reaction score
It's nice to know I'm not alone in my complaint. I'm still sticking with cm7 for now; it just has too much stuff I really like. I'll probably flash back to apex the first time it really poses me off though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
It's nice to know I'm not alone in my complaint. I'm still sticking with cm7 for now; it just has too much stuff I really like. I'll probably flash back to apex the first time it really poses me off though.

I wouldn't count on cm being a disappointment haha. my battery life has gotten better. But then again I'm not using it as much as I use to. mostly texting during the day then fb occasionally. Took it off the charger around 9 and it's still clinging to life at 10% right now waiting for it to die. Hope you guys get better results sometime soon!

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

TSON

Reaction score
My phone seems to last significantly longer with heavy usage than with extremely low usage.
I got 8h 38m today with 25% on voice calls, 18% display, 11% android OS on stock battery. I avoided letting my phone lock all day. I have 3% left.
Yesterday I got up to 5h 30m and I had loads of idle time.

And this is ULV 1.1 on stock battery on the latest nightly.
This is pretty bad idlewise, I gotta say. Was getting 12ish hours on LGB v0.8 with the same undervolting & low usage.
The high usage isn't bad at all though, if you take into account I was playing 3D games nonstop, streaming from Music Beta, and watching Netflix movies...

Where has cvpcs gone to?

Chillout

Reaction score
I love the CM rom, it's got so many themes and ways to customize, but man this battery life is killing me. If I didn't work in an office where I can charge my phone during the day I'd be completely screwed. Even with moderate use I was at a full charge at 4pm yesterday and by 11pm I was at 30% left. In the morning I used it fairly heavily (flashing some themes, downloading apps, and listening to some music) and after a full charge at 7am I was down to 20% by 2pm. That is just unacceptable. I'm on the latest nightly and using the same apps that I did when I was on Liberty. I also don't use droid overclock anymore. On that rom I would use the phone moderately between 7am and 2pm and use maybe 30%.

I'll stick with CM for now because I love everything else about it, but something has to be done to increase battery life, that should be top priority.

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
Well, after the horrible battery life, I figured what the hell... So I SBF'd back to Froyo, flashed the 28 nightly, the latest all-in-one fix (for camera, "torch", 1% battery increments) and the Imoseyon tweaks, and I'm getting great battery life again. I took it off the charger at 6 PM last night at around 95%, listened to some music for about an hour, and then barely used it until this morning. I woke up and it was at 83%.

Chillout

Reaction score
There's no way I want to SBF, that's too much work and hassle. LOL. I'm hoping the upcoming nightlies will help improve battery life. I'm monitoring my phone closely this morning. I've used it for a total of 7 minutes so far today since 7am at a full charge. At 2pm I'll check it and see where I'm at battery wise and report back on how much I've used my phone and what Ive done in that use.

leonozug

Reaction score
SBF? Oh no!! It's way too much hassle to plug a USB cable into a computer and press a button. The nerve of Motorola putting us through such hardships!! lol!!

If an SBF helped with battery life I may try it. I've been just wiping cache and dalvik for the nightly lately. It's worth a try.

Chillout

Reaction score
We all know it's more than that, atleast potentially. When you SBF you can potentially completely brick your phone into oblivion. I've done it a few times so I'm fairly comfortable with it but each time I've run into some weird problem and had to backout and do it a second or 3rd time.

I'm content for now letting the dev's continue to develop this rom and tweak it until they are comfortable with it; just simply pointing out the battery issues that many of us have.

Chillout

Reaction score
Oh you're killin me, never heard that one before...LOL.

I know man, but some people don't take sarcasm as well as you and I apparently do..lol

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
The best I have gotten was on nightly #28 with imoseyon scripts, with no wallpaper & a minimal black theme (since black uses less battery). I still only got about 10 hours. When I run AOSP Liberty, Kevlar DX, & especially AOSP-DX roms, I routinely average 20+ hours, with normal usage. So, even though CM7 will be a nice rom when all the bugs are fixed, battery life is still going to be a major issue. There is no foreseeable way to double battery life. The DX actually gets better battery life with certain parts of blur installed, because without them there the built in security scripts keep looking for the blur elements, and this drains the battery. We learned this thru extensive tests with Liberty 1.5.

Sent from my AOSP-DX

ABQNM

Reaction score
The best I have gotten was on nightly #28 with imoseyon scripts, with no wallpaper & a minimal black theme (since black uses less battery). I still only got about 10 hours. When I run AOSP Liberty, Kevlar DX, & especially AOSP-DX roms, I routinely average 20+ hours, with normal usage. So, even though CM7 will be a nice rom when all the bugs are fixed, battery life is still going to be a major issue. There is no foreseeable way to double battery life. The DX actually gets better battery life with certain parts of blur installed, because without them there the built in security scripts keep looking for the blur elements, and this drains the battery. We learned this thru extensive tests with Liberty 1.5.

Sent from my AOSP-DX

10 hours? That is quite low... Unless you have very poor signal and are using a very large amount of data or calls. I don't know what apps are running, but that seems like there is an issue.

As far as the reference to blur elements, that is true on blur based ROMs such as Liberty and ApeX since they are still running on the blur framework that moto built into the ROM. Since CM7 hijacks init and loads its own, none of the blur framework exists, so nothing is there to look for it.

Chillout

Reaction score
Since 7am this morning until now at 2pm EST I am at 69% left, with light use. Sent a few texts, made 2 calls, and played a couple games. That is very close to what I had on Liberty, so I can handle that ok since I'm used to it. Perhaps after a day or 2 on nightly 28 things are looking alittle better?

I'll have a full charge when I leave work at 5pm today and then see how it goes through the evening.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Sent from my AOSP-DX

Black uses more battery then white. I did a lot of research on this in my early android days. In order to produce a black pixel, every color has to be activated, whereas white only requires an open pixel to allow the back light through. Even though it seems odd, white actually uses less battery for the display.

Also, the biggest killers of battery are:

1. Cell display brightness
2. Poor network strength
3. Rogue apps

Keep your brightness down, your 3g off when in poor service areas, and keep tabs on what you install. You will notice a few extra hours out of your battery.

You can also modify the build.prop to adjust the wifi scan interval which helps. Oh and running custom governors like imo or govx can also help, low voltage is a plus if your phone is stable enough.