Battery life not impressed

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What I've found to be the biggest killer of my battery other than the display is Facebook.... I've deleted it for a day and used my browser instead.... huge difference... jic u use fb... something to consider.

sent from my MAXX.

Amen. Its horrible. I use friendcaster which is much better. When they updated the Facebook app 6 or more months ago it turned into a memory hog and a battery drainer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

dzyd

Reaction score
I keep reading about people that have amazing batteries but im not amazed with mine. I got the phone on thursday and went from an iphone 4. Today i took it off the charger at 7am at 100%. I h
ave a toggle widget so i turn everything off if im not using it ... even 3g. I have no 4g too btw but its off. So off the charger at 7 and by 2pm the phone was at 50%. I streamed audio off 3g for about 3 hours used navigation for almost an hour and played saved music for not even an hour. Is this normal or is my battery bad?

my droid x with extended battery would be near dead if i used the nav. for 1 hour alone.

jigsaw13542

Reaction score
I had 3g only switched on and also everything else was off.... auto sync, bluetooth, wifi, pocket detection, i even turn 3g off when im just in standby or not using it

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What I've found to be the biggest killer of my battery other than the display is Facebook.... I've deleted it for a day and used my browser instead.... huge difference... jic u use fb... something to consider.

sent from my MAXX.

Yep, FB is a true battery killer. I have never used the app, I just go to the mobile site when I want to check something. I don't need instant updates of my friends kids took their first poopy in the toilet. I use Tweetcaster for tweets but again I don't push I just log in and check them and then sign out. Those right there will save you tons.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Use the battery extender in your smart actions... set it up to shut down data at screen off... and not charging. That's what I did and my phone doesn't go off of 100% if I don't use it. But if you browse and do whatever else, and use your battery to say 70%. As soon as your screen is shut off this smart action will save your battery from there. Its awesome. For me anyhow

sent from my MAXX.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

sent from my MAXX.

The Facebook app doesn't even show up for me in the list of applications under Battery Information. It drains next to nothing from the battery when looking at things with Better Battery Stats. I use it quite often, but I have the notifications completely turned off, and I always exit out of the app with the back button. Perhaps that's the difference.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The Facebook app doesn't even show up for me in the list of applications under Battery Information. It drains next to nothing from the battery when looking at things with Better Battery Stats. I use it quite often, but I have the notifications completely turned off, and I always exit out of the app with the back button. Perhaps that's the difference.

Idk... your fortunate then lol. Facebook... even though I close it, is right under display for consumption for me... I had to constantly go into task manager and FS it. Even then it would update and eat battery.

sent from my MAXX.

Insidious

Reaction score
You guys all make me so proud!! ;) I would love to have a "Spa" for these phones, where people drop them off and let me (or others like you guys) give them some "therapy" for a day or so. I am sure we'd resolve this issue for 90% or better of those complaining. Perhaps there would be two departments. One that does the saturation charges and cycling to calibrate the meter, and another that sets up the Smart Actions which produce the greatest positive results and then schools the customer on the two tasks.

Together, the two processes would probably result in 30% to 50% gains in runtime for most, and would help to clear Motorola's name for all the blame. Heck, we might make a buck or two in the process, huh?!

I'm getting more than a full day's use out of my RAZR (Not the MAXX), at the moment, and I use it quite a bit. I am in 4G territory for most of the day, however I am in 3G and running on WIFI while at home and at work. I run multiple information service apps, I use a clock/weather widget, I have 4 separate email accounts running through 3 different email clients, I surf quite a bit through the day, I modertate this site from the phone when not near a desktop, I use it to take photos and videos, search for neat things to buy on Craigslist and eBay, I price items at the stores with the barcode scanner, I use Places to find shopping locations for items of interest, I use Gasbuddy to find the cheapest gas, I use Google Navigation and GPS 100% as a replacement for the sucky navigation built into my Durango, and listen to streaming audio from my home PC and also from several streaming sites. With all that, I don't have my phone dying. Oh, and I almost forgot...I use it as a PHONE too, 10-15 calls per day! Imagine if I was running a MAXX!

I have a D2 that my son uses as well, it has a 3,300mAh (non-OEM) battery in it and it runs for between 4 and 6 DAYS (that's right, days), although it isn't on cellular. It only runs in the home on WIFI. Still, he plays games and surfs on it lots as well.

FoxKat should be known as the battery guy! He knows his stuff!

Sent from Skynet

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think the large screen and the wifi all kill the battery! i have tried to reduce the of the screen, turn off all the unused apps, the battery still drains within 5-6 hours, sucks! so i try to find a replace one. when i hunt in the market i found there are many external batteries: 2200mah, 5600mah, 8400mah.... i think this may be the exactly one i hoped! but i am hesitate about which size to choose. after reading the descriptions and reviews carefully, I bought the ravpower rp-pb03 5600mah external battery. When I received the rp-pb03, there was 50% battery left, 2 blue lights on (There are four LED light indicates the battery status), but it charged up my almost died Droid 2 to full level (Battery level dropped to 8% already)! However, after my phone was full charged, there was still a blue light on. This really fantastic!! My Droid 2 was reborn with this awesome battery!dancedroid

They are shipped with 50% charge, just like our phones - not so you can use them out of the box, but so they can survive shipping and storage without draining to the protection level. Also, just like our phones you should charge it to 100% before using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Apex89

Reaction score
I have never once had even the slightest issue with my battery life on my Maxx. I feel like I use it A LOT, and I am ALWAYS in 4g LTE, and I almost never run it down past 50%. I don't get very good service in building I work in so my phone is constantly switching from CDMA to LTE and back and forth so my phone runs really hot, but even when I work 8 hour days it rarely gets below 60 % or so. In fact, I unplugged my phone yesterday morning at 8 a.m. to go to class. I got home last night and passed out without plugging my phone in, and even now, about 24 hours later I have 60 % left. And to be honest, I can't remember doing the proper phone off charge thing you guys speak of.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Fully charge new battery packs before use. New pack needs to be fully charged...

**** The information above it's correct. Even if the battery has some power out of the box, you should charge the phone while powered OFF to 100% initially before using. This sets the meter's FULL flag properly.

..and discharged(cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity.

**** This is incorrect. A Lithium Ion Polymer (LIPO), battery will only take as much charge as it will take and cycling the battery (full to empty and back again) does absolutely nothing toward increasing the battery's capacity. The battery capacity is at its highest immediately after manufacture and diminishes over time. It will only have so many charge cycles available to it from new and you only waste the life of the battery by cycling it.

...Anytime you recharge a charged battery, you lessen the endurance of that battery per charge. Yes, there are steps to return the battery to a longer life, but it is a long and drawn out process, and it will never get you fully back to maximum life.

****More misinformation above. Yes, with each charge the lifespan of the LIPO battery is reduced, but there is nothing you can do to regain that lost capacity. Charging a Lipo battery that is already charged is not going to happen. The charging system will not charge a fully charged battery. It is programmed to prevent overcharging to protect the battery.
...If you have a battery that has a short life span, charge it for eight hours, then run it on battery until it is fully discharged even to the point of turning it back on a couple of times after it shuts itself back off. If you do this 4 or 5 times you should start noticing that it lasts a little bi longer each time you try it. If it does not get any more life back, then you’ve probably already damaged the battery and should replace it.

****Still more misinformation above. This is advice that comes from Nickel Cadmium (NiCd), batteries which exhibited a "memory" effect where if used partially and recharged repeatedly they would eventually begin to act as though the partial charge portion was their total capacity. Cycling of those batteries could recover some of that lost capacity but this is not the case with LIPO batteries. These cells do not exhibit a "memory" effect with repeated partial charge/discharge cycles, and in fact prefer partial to full charges, and multiple partial charges is actually good for these batteries. Discharging to an automatic power off should be avoided. You run the risk of deep discharging the battery and either having the phone become unresponsive to the charger, or if left in a discharged state for too long can cause the battery's protection circuit to activate rendering the battery completely useless. Again, this is instructions related to the NiCd batteries and should be completely ignored in relation to LIPO batteries.

4. Do not leave the unused replacement battery in drain out status for a long time. Charge and discharge it when you have time.

****First part right, second party wrong. If a LIPO battery is going to be stored for an extended period of time, it should be charged to 50% before storing and checked monthly to be sure it doesn't drop below 3Volts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
**** The information above it's correct. Even if the battery has some power out of the box, you should charge the phone while powered OFF to 100% initially before using. This sets the meter's FULL flag properly.

**** This is incorrect. A Lithium Ion Polymer (LIPO), battery will only take as much charge as it will take and cycling the battery (full to empty and back again) does absolutely nothing toward increasing the battery's capacity. The battery capacity is at its highest immediately after manufacture and diminishes over time. It will only have so many charge cycles available to it from new and you only waste the life of the battery by cycling it.

****More misinformation above. Yes, with each charge the lifespan of the LIPO battery is reduced, but there is nothing you can do to regain that lost capacity. Charging a Lipo battery that is already charged is not going to happen. The charging system will not charge a fully charged battery. It is programmed to prevent overcharging to protect the battery.

****Still more misinformation above. This is advice that comes from Nickel Cadmium (NiCd), batteries which exhibited a "memory" effect where if used partially and recharged repeatedly they would eventually begin to act as though the partial charge portion was their total capacity. Cycling of those batteries could recover some of that lost capacity but this is not the case with LIPO batteries. These cells do not exhibit a "memory" effect with repeated partial charge/discharge cycles, and in fact prefer partial to full charges, and multiple partial charges is actually good for these batteries. Discharging to an automatic power off should be avoided. You run the risk of deep discharging the battery and either having the phone become unresponsive to the charger, or if left in a discharged state for too long can cause the battery's protection circuit to activate rendering the battery completely useless. Again, this is instructions related to the NiCd batteries and should be completely ignored in relation to LIPO batteries.

****First part right, second party wrong. If a LIPO battery is going to be stored for an extended period of time, it should be charged to 50% before storing and checked monthly to be sure it doesn't drop below 3Volts.

Agreed 100%!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have never once had even the slightest issue with my battery life on my Maxx. I feel like I use it A LOT, and I am ALWAYS in 4g LTE, and I almost never run it down past 50%. I don't get very good service in building I work in so my phone is constantly switching from CDMA to LTE and back and forth so my phone runs really hot, but even when I work 8 hour days it rarely gets below 60 % or so. In fact, I unplugged my phone yesterday morning at 8 a.m. to go to class. I got home last night and passed out without plugging my phone in, and even now, about 24 hours later I have 60 % left. And to be honest, I can't remember doing the proper phone off charge thing you guys speak of.

I have no doubt you are experiencing the long battery life you indicate, and also that you've never had a problem. In fact, doing the meter "training" may yield little obvious benefit for you, especially since you don't use the phone down to the 15% (low battery) level or lower. It might increase the meter's accuracy by 5% or 10%, so instead it might have shown either 50% or 70% after the "pass[ing] out" :blink: episode (LOL!), however what it will do is assure that if you ever did run into a situation where you needed the full capacity of the battery, such as being on an extended day trip and using the phone heavily with no way to charge, or if you just want to know "exactly" (a misnomer) how much is really left in the battery, you would have the best chance of the meter accurately representing the state of charge at any given time.

I would just watch out in the future, if you see the phone suddenly drop in power level over a relatively short period of time, like from 35% to 15% in less than a half-hour, that could be an indication of meter skew and you'd be best served if you did the procedure I mentioned so many times before on here immediately, just so you don't accidently deep-discharge and possibly get into a boot-looping situation or worse. Good luck (and make sure your head hits the pillow!) :)