Battery Life, New Droid X

M24

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I picked up my first Droid two days ago. So far I like it, but the battery life is very disappointing.

For example, last night, after charging it for several hours, and the charge indicated 100%, I was playing with it for about 10 minutes, and the charge went down to 90%.

Yesterday, the battery went down from 2/3 or so to next to nothing in just a few hours. I have turned off wi-fi, bluetooth, etc., but this thing just seems to suck the battery down way too quickly. I'm wondering if I got a bad copy.

This is my first Droid, so I'm hoping for some input on reasonable expectations for battery life.

Thanks.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the DX, but the D1 and D2 will tell you what's using your battery. For the D2, it's Settings > Battery Manager > Hit the battery Icon

My buddy has a DX, and he gets a workday's use out of it, listening to Pandora and the like. He's also in the market for the extended battery.

OP
M

M24

Reaction score
Not sure about the DX, but the D1 and D2 will tell you what's using your battery. For the D2, it's Settings > Battery Manager > Hit the battery Icon

Whenever I do exactly that, the app crashes...

loftus

Reaction score
i turn mine off to charge at night and it seems to hold the charge better. I also got rid of all the widgets i didnt need and turned the secreen brightness to lowest setting. turn off gps in the location and security settings. i am on mine quite a bit and get at least ten hours out of a full charge.

conecraft

Reaction score
I have recently switched from a Droid (original) to the Droid X.. I never had problems with the battery life of the original Droid unless I punished it with Pandora for 3 hours or something.. the Droid X on the other hand will not last a full day with my normal use.. I have all the same apps on the Droid X as I did on the Droid.. and use it the same.. I figured the bigger screen is sucking more power.. I'm on the forum tonight considering my options with the problem... probably will get the extended life battery.. Do the Extended batteries fit in the Droid X body without having to change the battery cover?

Reaction score
The extended battery comes with a new back cover to fit it, however you might want to check compatibility with any case you have.

I have recently switched from a Droid (original) to the Droid X.. I never had problems with the battery life of the original Droid unless I punished it with Pandora for 3 hours or something.. the Droid X on the other hand will not last a full day with my normal use.. I have all the same apps on the Droid X as I did on the Droid.. and use it the same.. I figured the bigger screen is sucking more power.. I'm on the forum tonight considering my options with the problem... probably will get the extended life battery.. Do the Extended batteries fit in the Droid X body without having to change the battery cover?

Sent from my DROIDX

mechgamer123

Reaction score
You can also root the device and install SetCPU, and set the max to 1000mhz and the minimum to 300mhz and set it to on demand, Usually my phone is dead by the end of the night, now, it has 40% left at the end of the evening!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Droid x automatically scales back cpu when needed. Lowest it goes to in idle state is 300mhz. There is no need for setcpu unless you plan to overclock it.

Sent from my DROIDX

pyroelite

Reaction score
Root your device and get droid x/2 overclock - you don't have to overclock, but you can finally use lower voltage settings to preserve battery life in a user friendly app, easy to change & administer.

It can work in conjunction with setcpu for profiles. Imho setcpu worked better for the D1 & is not really needed for the DX/D2, as android is now better at regulating the on demand clock speeds.

& like others said, larger screen, faster cpu, brightness, certain service running apps, wifi, gps, bt, ntwk usage all play a part in bat drain... Monitor with care.

Keep an eye out for apps that run services you don't need, esp when you don't need them to run in the background or magically start themselves...

Juice defender can help limit apps from accessing the ntwk in the background, to certain specified intervals.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Hobn

Reaction score
I find that 100% isn't 100%, by charging longer you get more juice.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

the5barrons

Reaction score
Um...if the phone stops the charging process, its full. It'll only trickle charge after that.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

kevinkar

Reaction score
I find that 100% isn't 100%, by charging longer you get more juice.
I don't think the reporting is as precise as we'd like. Isn't it in 10% increments and does it round off?

I plug mine in at night so when I unplug it, it's at 100% for sure. After using it about 15 minutes or so of web surfing, weather checking, etc. it easily shows 90% quickly. I'm sure it's not DOWN to 90% already, only that it's somewhere between 90-100%.

So, it's possible that when you see it says 100%, it might be at 95, 97, 99.... This is similar to just about every other rechargeable device out there. You never want to watch it hit 100 and then remove it immediately. Let it go an extra 15 minutes or so for a real full charge.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I picked up my first Droid two days ago. So far I like it, but the battery life is very disappointing.

For example, last night, after charging it for several hours, and the charge indicated 100%, I was playing with it for about 10 minutes, and the charge went down to 90%.

Yesterday, the battery went down from 2/3 or so to next to nothing in just a few hours. I have turned off wi-fi, bluetooth, etc., but this thing just seems to suck the battery down way too quickly. I'm wondering if I got a bad copy.

This is my first Droid, so I'm hoping for some input on reasonable expectations for battery life.

Thanks.

Click on this below>>>

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ife-youve-got-questions-weve-got-answers.html