Battery Life Issues With Froyo 2.2 Manual Update

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"For the most part, I'm not an idiot."

We love how you left room for growth Albatross ... :)

It was just being thrown out there, we've all had our moments...

azpilot

Reaction score
I have the 2.2 update, the back never gets hot, I used it yesterday for some light texting and some long out of state phone calls to my dad and at the end of the day had 60% battery left. I don't have the facebook app and the display lighting is set for 25%. If anything the 2.2 update has really sped up the phone to where I"m happy finally.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've said this so many times that I probably have already said this earlier in the thread. I've never seen any update ever go out where people say the battery has gotten better. Well, I did see it sort of on 2.0.1 but there was so much positive energy on that thread that somebody felt the need to speak up for the side of negativity, and once that happened the positive thread was buried.

Does anybody think that maybe these reports on so called reduced battery life is a result of just playing with the darn thing a lot when we get a new OS? I think holding off on battery life post for at least a week, maybe 2 is a good idea. Then we can see what it really does.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hook, to be honest, I think you have a valid point here. Most after going thru the update process take a small chunk out of the batt, then heavily use it to check it out, then notice the batt is way down...

In this case it was likely compounded by a faulty app update at the same time.

FB re-released a ver 1.3.1, I placed on phone and checked it...

I don't know how they say they corrected a bug in it, it still shows as the most used partial wake lock app in spare parts ... I'm going back to 1.2, or ... I'll free up more room I lost in internal mem by removing the app all together and just use the mobile site when I need it.

azpilot

Reaction score
I would have to agree, I just don't play with mine after updates and I haven't noticed any issue with the battery in the life cycle department since I have owned mine. I can't say its better or worse, but it for sure has never changed or even drained down completely.

Joshcavs32

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same...I went into my "tweetcaster" settings and noticed it had defaulted back to update every 3 minutes, which was the cause of my battery draining. If you are running widgets that need to update, check that their defaults didn't get set wayyyy too low.

REMilk

Reaction score
I, too, encountered very short battery life when I updated to 2.2. I did some research and found that the Facebook app installed at the same time as 2.2 changed my settings from "Manual" sunc to Sync "every 1 hour". I changed the sync time back to "Manual" and battery life improved.

I updated Facebook on Thursday. 08/05, and it seems like battery life has improved. The Facebook developers admit there was a 'leak' on the earlier version causing a drain on the battery.

I recommend that everyone check their sync settings after updating to 2.2 to ensure they are as desired and not changed. If you do not use the Facebook app, then remove it; if you use the Facebook app, then update to the current version.

Bob

BigNelsen

Reaction score
Here is my update for the battery drain and heat.

My issue seemed to be around my Exchange email through work. The battery usage in settings had this at the top of the usage. When I deleted my account, the phone went back to normal (minimal heat during heavy use and no heat when not in use. Phone would generate heat just sitting on my desk when exchange was activated.)

I updated the new Facebook version. Deleted ATK. Rooted my phone (Easy Root) to install the clean install 2.2 version that just came out. Rooting and update went smooth. Main fix seems to be the revised update. I had the same heat problems even after uninstalling ATK but prior to the new load.

Battery usage seems to be back to normal. Exchange email is the bottom of the battery usage. No heat being generated when on standby sitting on the table.

I'm happy. Now interested in what rooting will do for me. Going to do some learning on it now.

All seems good.

droijo

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this issue for a couple days now too and for now have reverted back to 84b. I played around with it monitoring certain apps and what not and decided it wasn't worth using and went back to bb.4 (8/8) and saw the same battery life I used to have. I realized that with my setup, I lose about 10% battery life with just sync on per hour on frg22.

Both setups had unused apps from stock uninstalled. These are as follows:
- corporate cal
- email
- carhome
- facebook
- visualvm

My setup is
+ ADWLauncher. 3 screens. 6 rows. 75% widgets, 25% icons.

bb.4
Before, I used to be able to do a whole 8 hour work shift using the phone normally checking news updates/messages/internet/etc. and the phone will have about 30-40% left give or take. 80% if unused with sync from email/sms and left overnight at a full charge. About 3 hours if directly streaming online (justin.tv)

frg22
When I updated (8/4) I instantly saw reduced battery life. Took it to work and I couldn't make it pass the 6th hour and the phone went limp with regular use. Thought it was just new sync and what not so disregarded it. Charged it full the same night and unplugged when I went to bed. Woke up the next morning with the battery at 40%. Kept monitoring the phone's use for the next 4 days and it didn't change so went back to bb yesterday. Battery is normal now.

Don't know what it could be but not worth griping over.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
Battery Temp

Can I throw this out there? Perhaps your battery use is because of the fact that you are constantly using it because it has a new OS?

In every update I've ever seen, it doesn't matter what phone one of the first negatives to come out is about the battery.

As far as it being warm, they can get warm from time to time these phones can get quite hot. I've seen my battery temp up as high as 118 degrees.

Just checked the temperature on my rooted 2.2 phone and the cpu is running at at a very comfortable 82 degrees. I haven't been playing with my Droid all morning.

How do you know what your exact batt temp is? Do you have an app that does that?

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
hm alright, well as far as my question about warranty? manually updating to 2.2 should void it right?

I would think it would not void the warranty since it's an official update from google and it's a google phone. However even if it would, my experiance is the sales people have little idea what version is running unless you get a real experianced guy. Also sending it in, it seems like they generally just see if it turns on and send you a "new" one (refurbished). Doesn't seem like they pay too much attention to the OS version.

FredNitz

Reaction score
3 hours ago i manually updated to froyo 2.2 and am so far estatic about it, but have one serious issue.

battery life has gone down extremely quick and is really disappointing. Just three hours after updating battery is dead, went down to less than 5% and i had to charge it.

i have a task killer and at first just manually kept killing, and then set auto kill to aggressive. Made the brightness all the way down and screen timeout to 15 seconds and still dies so fast.

has anyone had this problem?? I really cant afford to have to keep charging every 3 hours.

Try removing the task killer. It is probably why your OS is at 45%. It is having to constantly reinstall the applications that your task killer is removing. My OS usually is at 3%. For a discussion about task killers and the Android OS, see:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Redneck Trash

Reaction score
I've had the same issue with battery life since updating. Over the past week battery life is significantly worse over the course of a normal day's use.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

REMilk

Reaction score
When I installed 2.2, the settings for all sync's was changed to the most frequent sync frequency. I recommend that you do the following:
1. Check each application that has sync frequency and reset sync frequencies to what you need them to be;
2. Check the Sync frequencies in Settings and set as you need them
3. If you have the Facebook app, update to the latest version; if you do not really use the Facebook app, then remove it.
4. Set your task killer to not run all the time, only when you want it to run. I run my task killer "on demand' in order to "kill" a runaway app and the task killer.

These steps greatly increased my battery life under 2.2.

Bob

GCurry

Reaction score
I did the manual update and it was running laggy and hot. Took off all the apps I'd accumulated but didn't use, trying to get main memory up to where that wasn't an issue - around 60-70MB. Then removed my task killer, Screebl and Lookout. Removed facebook. It seemed to be running pretty well then. Put Screebl and Lookout and Facebook back, but not the task killer. Froyo doing a pretty good job of managing memory itself, it seems.

Things are much better now. It did have the battery problem (wife's also) when we tried to do a big app download over 3G while traveling.

Since then, I've rooted, experimenting with SetCPU to OC it, and looking for a good replacement ROM, once I'm sure the OTA updates have concluded.