Battery Life Is Horrible!

Landlord1

Reaction score
I love my new Droid, but the battery life is awful! I have been using it alot lately just trying to figure things out, but I'm charging this thing twice a day! Is there a better battery I can buy for it, or something?

Twista89

Reaction score
this....Ive also just gotten my droid and been using it non-stop...I fully charged it at 10 this morning and around 2-3 it was already back at 20% life....I hope there is a better battery that doesnt require buying a new back for the phone....

droidftw1

Reaction score
Are you rooted? If so maybe lower your overclocking speed.
Yes there is a 2800mah battery which is twice your capacity but it cost 69.95 which is a little much for me. I have been having bad battery lately to so i unrooted from bugless beast but now its even worse lol. Might have to spend that 69.95.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Have any of you followed the threads that give you tips on how to extend the battery life?

There are a ton of things you can do to slow down battery consumption, but remember these are tiny batteries for powerful pieces of equipment, so we'll always have bad life on the battery unless a new technology can be implemented.

Get the extended battery or even another standard battery and carry it around, alot of people do that.

You can disable wifi if you aren't using it, set the screen to time out quickly, disable auto brightness, set apps to the greatest time between polling, etc.

Just look up some of the threads :)

Twista89

Reaction score
Have any of you followed the threads that give you tips on how to extend the battery life?

There are a ton of things you can do to slow down battery consumption, but remember these are tiny batteries for powerful pieces of equipment, so we'll always have bad life on the battery unless a new technology can be implemented.

Get the extended battery or even another standard battery and carry it around, alot of people do that.

You can disable wifi if you aren't using it, set the screen to time out quickly, disable auto brightness, set apps to the greatest time between polling, etc.

Just look up some of the threads :)

yea Ive done all that stuff but who knows maybe after I get over the wow factor and settle down on my usage then ill be alright...I did talk for a hour on the phone as well as using all these features but its nothing like how my LG Dare was as I could go 1-3 days on a single charge...but I also was only using that phone to text and call people....

nerdbox08

Reaction score
yea Ive done all that stuff but who knows maybe after I get over the wow factor and settle down on my usage then ill be alright...I did talk for a hour on the phone as well as using all these features but its nothing like how my LG Dare was as I could go 1-3 days on a single charge...but I also was only using that phone to text and call people....

Ah but you are confused, you will never 'settle' down lol. This phone just won't let you. I've had mine since launch and I use it just as much as I did then. Finding alternatives to keep you powered is going to be a major concern, and I suggest just dropping a few bucks for another standard battery. At least we have the option for another battery unlike the iphone, which is a huge drawback.

plant

Reaction score
I took this pic this morning

2us7kgh.jpg

I have been able to get great battery life by :

-Make sure you have the latest setcpu, previous versions had a battery drain bug
-Underclocking to 250/250 on standby/idle
-I am using the stock rom rooted, may not be a factor but I seem to be getting better battery life

edit: I have had my droid since november, heavy battery use since then and still working like a charm.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did talk for a hour on the phone as well as using all these features but its nothing like how my LG Dare was as I could go 1-3 days on a single charge...but I also was only using that phone to text and call people....

I have the 2600mV extended battery and the best I've gotten is 43 hours, but some have gotten 54 hours. By contrast, the extended battery on my old Voyager lasted almost a week.

With the OEM battery it ran from about 7am to 11pm to reach 20%. I guess it depends on what apps are running and where you live (ie signal strength).

Last edited:

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Helpful battery tip

whenever you re using gps/navigation on the car
Plug your phone into a car charger- charge as you navigate-

Making this a habit is a great battery saver.

Last edited:

FootballRef

Reaction score
I get through the day easily with the stock battery. If I am on it constantly it dies quicker...but all cell phones will. Surfing the net, playing music, and using the GPS will kill it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Posted several times in the past, but for the record, amazon.com has OEM batteries for the Droid for between $10-$15, sometimes less. They also sell little standalone chargers for about $15. So for about $30 and following the recommendations regarding battery use, the problem goes away.

At the moment, they're selling batteries for $6.26.

Amazon.com: Motorola DROID 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Service

OP
L

Landlord1

Reaction score
ok, what is "rooting" and how do I disable wifi? I'm not even sure if i'm using wifi...

mrpbjnance

Reaction score
Not sure how "New" your droid is but it does take several charge and discharge cycles before the battery gets up to full capacity.. until then the battery life will stink. But it does get better