Battery life doubled

vzwtek

Reaction score
23 hours and I still have 7%. I think I got this from androidforums.com. There was a post that said something about needing this checked if you were in a Verizon dead zone but covered by Alltel?

that typically has more to do with your phones roaming capabilities, if you live in a heavily alltel saturated market that was divested with the alltel purchase, you will want to call technical support, or your local store to have the "hybrid PRL" sent to your phone. What happens is that they put your number into a form in the system, which basically tells it to provision your MTN that PRL instead of your price plans PRL. Once they do that, do *228 and then opt 1. This will help your battery life due to roaming. It tells the phone to prefer A and B channel on the network the same. Unlike the Verizon PRL which will prefer the A channel by default. If you had alltel before, then the hybrid you get will work about the same, except in markets where alltel is heavy, then it willl prefer b before A.

cyberkid087

Reaction score
23 hours and I still have 7%. I think I got this from androidforums.com. There was a post that said something about needing this checked if you were in a Verizon dead zone but covered by Alltel?

that typically has more to do with your phones roaming capabilities, if you live in a heavily alltel saturated market that was divested with the alltel purchase, you will want to call technical support, or your local store to have the "hybrid PRL" sent to your phone. What happens is that they put your number into a form in the system, which basically tells it to provision your MTN that PRL instead of your price plans PRL. Once they do that, do *228 and then opt 1. This will help your battery life due to roaming. It tells the phone to prefer A and B channel on the network the same. Unlike the Verizon PRL which will prefer the A channel by default. If you had alltel before, then the hybrid you get will work about the same, except in markets where alltel is heavy, then it willl prefer b before A.

Yea i read in another forum that this setting has to do with other cellular companies that verizon is associated(?) with. It's supposed to use those signals rather than verizon's if your phone can't find a verizon signal.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I have a regular rooted droi(maybe I should not be in this section) but I'm wondering if this trick would work for me too?

ArmandP

Reaction score
No setting on Droid X?

My Droid X doesn't have the "Always On" data toggle... Am I missing something, or does the X manage this on its own? Thanks in advance.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
New Phone

My Ex got her new phone ( replaced for poor reception ) and it eats up the battery with Android OS taking 98% of Battery. Needles to say, another phone on order. Hope she gets new one with TFT screen. So there are BAD phones out there. I'll bet dollars to donuts her "new phone:icon_rolleyes:" was refurbished.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
My Ex got her new phone ( replaced for poor reception ) and it eats up the battery with Android OS taking 98% of Battery. Needles to say, another phone on order. Hope she gets new one with TFT screen. So there are BAD phones out there. I'll bet dollars to donuts her "new phone:icon_rolleyes:" was refurbished.

You need to understand, that only means that out of all of the processes going on, 98% of them are done by the Android operating system. It doesn't translate like you're thinking. That is a common misconception.

albrst

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my battery life being eaten up by the phone searching for a signal. My phone says that my phone goes without a signal 85% of the time which is not true. I had a great signal with my storm and this is crazy that a better phone would get less signal? Where do we go to complain about this to HTC and Verizon?

Gfox33

Reaction score
Well I just want to say that who ever figured this out is a genius and thank you times a thousand. Before I knew about this setting, I could text and use it for other usual things for maybe 5 hours, and then It would be just about dead. Now, I text and use the internet, bluetooth and a few other things all day and Im only at 41%. And I really want to stress that I DONT put this phone down at all. Im on it non-stop and it just doesnt quit on me. So thanks mr. internet droid guru for getting rid of all those regrets I had about the phone.

mauiblue

Reaction score
I think it's great that all you guys are figuring out how to save battery life, always good to know what's eating your battery's life. Personally, I don't want to disable this setting as I use this phone's feature a lot. So I don't want to keep turning on/off this setting. I will just use my phone as efficiently as possible and when my battery runs out, oh well I'll put in my second battery or charge the phone. Batteries are there to be used up, I know I know we all want endless battery life but it's just not going to happen with phones like this that do a multitude of tasking...

Thank you for posting this. My thoughts exactly. Frick, I bought the damn phone to utilize all the bells and whistle, I find it silly to turn this off or that off just to get a few more minutes of use. I've invested into a couple HTC 2150 batteries and in conjuction with my standard AC charger I'm able to have as much service my heart desires. I just ordered battery wall charger so that I can have a couple batteries charging at the same time. If others want to stretch their battery use, it's all good and by all means do it. For me, I'm going to stress test and use my Incredible to its fullest potential and not be hindered by shutting off certain phone features.

Fliplm

Reaction score
Setting change

Changing this setting just stops allowing some applications to update automatically. Some applications will need manual updating.

dmauldin74

Reaction score
Want to use this setting on Droid1?

After reading through this thread, it occurred to me that there is an app in the market called "Juice Defender" that does this exact thing. Turns off 3g, wifi, etc, while screen is off, but you can set it to enable them and sync as often as you like. every three mins, every 30, whatever you want. I'm not sure what devices it works on, but it works on Droid1. The Dev is very responsive and dedicated. I've had a few email exchanges with him when the program was closer to its infancy and he's just what a dev should be.

I'm not affiliated with the app, and to be honest I don't use it even though I have the paid version and constantly complain about my battery life. Maybe I should start using it again. I was just too lazy to set it up again about 20 wipes ago. lol

86mcss

Reaction score
about to try this...will report back in a couple of days.

edit: (I have the 1750 extended battery) 9hrs since charging and im at 50% battery life...seems to be working great so far.