Battery life bad after .181

Raydee35

Reaction score
Before the update any time I connected to a WIFI network my 3G or 4G turned off but now its on all the time. Is that normal? I seem to be having bad battery life after the update and I am trying to track down the problem.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Before the update any time I connected to a WIFI network my 3G or 4G turned off but now its on all the time. Is that normal? I seem to be having bad battery life after the update and I am trying to track down the problem.
Do a soft reset...hold down your volume down button and the power button simutaneously...the phone will reboot in about 10 seconds. See if that helps.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
I tried the soft reset and I am still seeing both 3G and Wifi on at the same time.

DocsDad

Reaction score

Mine did that for about 2 days. Both wifi and data were blue. Then it went back to normal with wifi blue and data white on standby. This corrected itself prior to the update though

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I tried the soft reset and I am still seeing both 3G and Wifi on at the same time.
OK well, are you using SmartActions? Also, toggle turn the WiFi off, toggle airplane mode on...then off. Allow 3g/4g to establish itself after you've toggled airplane mode off. Once you've reestablished 3g/4g turn Wifi back on and see what happens. Secondly, do you have any apps set to update/download in WiFi only?

SANhacker

Reaction score
I just use Smart Actions to turn off cell data when I am within known WiFi hot spots.
Battery life has never been better since the 181 update.
Try downloading the "Verizon WiFi" app to automagically turn on WiFi.
Then use Smart Actions to turn of cell data when that hot spot is active. Worked for me.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
OK well, are you using SmartActions? Also, toggle turn the WiFi off, toggle airplane mode on...then off. Allow 3g/4g to establish itself after you've toggled airplane mode off. Once you've reestablished 3g/4g turn Wifi back on and see what happens. Secondly, do you have any apps set to update/download in WiFi only?

I stopped using Smart actions a while back because my phone would not reconnect to 3G after leaving a WIFI location 75% of the time. I will try to toggle the Airplane mode and see what happens.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
OK toggled the airplane mode on and off and then turned WIFI back on and now my 3G is still on but at least it is white instead of blue. I will see how the battery life is now.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK toggled the airplane mode on and off and then turned WIFI back on and now my 3G is still on but at least it is white instead of blue. I will see how the battery life is now.
The white bars and white 3g with a blue WiFi is what you want to see. Hope it stays that way.

SallyC

Reaction score
My wifi is blue and so are the 3/4G letters, but the data bars are grey. Sometimes the whole data thing is white, sometimes it's gone. Same as before the update..

My battery was really bad at first. Totally freaking me out. I rebooted and powered down a number of times. Finally I think it's acting normal again, although Kernel is using 28-38% of the battery which seems high for when it's just sitting there.

I hope the update didn't do anything bad.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
So far the 3G is staying white while the WIFI is blue. Before the 3G would completely disappear but now it stays all the time. As long as it is white while the WIFI is on I think it will be fine. Sometimes I really hate updates. Wait till they release ICS, I am sure there will be 100 threads where peoples phones are all messed up.

milkshed27

Reaction score
So the 3g/4g indicator remains visible even if you are using an application such as Smart Actions, Tasker or Automateit to disable 3g/4g connectivity? I'm not sure I trust that unless Verizon, Moto or Google changed it for this build. On .173 and below if data connectivity was disabled using the aforementioned applications the data indicator would disappear, leaving only white signal bars visible. Also, on .173 and below even if the signal indicator is white, as long as it shows 3g or 4g you still have a data connection. Hopefully it's just a visual change.

Jcassell1

Reaction score
Before the update, while on wifi, my 3g would be gone. Now it is on all the time as well as wifi and my battery is draining a lot faster now. Why oh why does moto change things for the worse and not the better. Grrrrrrrr

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
Just thought i would update this. As of last week the 3g symbol on my phone is gone again when I am connected to wifi and my battery life is back to normal. Strange but as long as its back to normal I am happy.

Jcassell1

Reaction score
Same Here. 3G symbol has disappeared now. Battery life seems to be better now and I am a pretty heavy user.