Battery Life And Kernels

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dalkhoutoff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dalkhoutoff

dalkhoutoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If everyone could post these 4 things I think it may help some people find the best Kernel...

Phone: Motorola Droid 1
    BB Version: v0.5
    Kernel: Jdflg LV 1.2
    Life: A full day at moderate use:60% left

2. Dan_08

Dan_08 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Phone: "THE" Motorola Droid
    BB Version: v0.5
    Kernel: Slayher 1.1ghz
    Life: A full day at moderate use (10hrs) 20%

3. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No such thing as best kernel for every user. Every phone acts differently with each kernel.

Do yourself (and us) a favor and just try as many kernels as you can to find your best kernel...

4. monolithic

monolithic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please do keep posting your stats. I'd be curious to see the data. I am not in the corner that "every phone acts differently".

SOME phones might act differently, however these phones are mass-produced - not hand-made. It would be too expensive to have every phone have different, unique-as-a-snowflake builds and internals.

Again, please continue posting your ROM and kernel stats. If we get enough accurate (and TRUTHFUL) responses, we should be able to see data trends and make some assumptions.

Thanks,

M.

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Actually, they aren't far off. There can be differences in amounts of solder, material shifts, several other factors. Beyond that, each person will have different apps which can affect the CPU in different ways. As such, each person and each phone can have different responses to different kernels and ROM's.

6. monolithic

monolithic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This message is to the OP (dalkhoutoff)

Sorry brother - doesn't look like you're going to get any help with your original post.

I'll let you know what my experiences are. I'm going to run some tests myself and I'll PM you my results.

M.

7. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    all i am gonna say to the op is look at everyone's signatures alot of us have our current specs you wont get battery times. but hey you will get a poll of the kernel favorites

8. dalkhoutoff

dalkhoutoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I get what everyone is talking about. I have the droid with 1.1 jdflg, but the Slayher 1.2 and 1.1 makes me reboot. Mostly everyone has slayher. I just wanted to ask people to post their phones and kernels to see what works best for different people. BTW: Everyone here probably knows that all phones are not the same and you should try different kernels till you find the one thats right for you. But besides that, I will please ask all continuing posters to post thier data and comment or not comment at all. TY

9. lee__D

lee__D Member

Ratings:
    +0
    most of the p3droid kernels that go down to 125hz makes my phone slow and screwy. the 250 ones are fine though

chevy's kernels always run nice and smooth

im running a 900 slayher kernel now that i've enabled compcache, it's smooth and speedy, i think im taking a slight hit on battery life though.

10. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're certainly welcome to believe what you want but I'd recommend reading up on binning as it relates to processor manufacture. No one has ever suggested that each phone is hand made to function differently. The reason for the difference in performance is due to binning.

While I do agree that threadcrapping is annoying there is a reason why forum consensus is that each person needs to test out kernels on his or her own. Unless you know how the processor was binned and how other processors in other devices are binned then collecting and sharing stats is pointless as you have no idea if the stats are relevant to your processor or not. You might as well roll a die to pick a kernel.

You'd be surprised. Don't assume that everyone knows anything -- even in the Droid Hacking subsection.

I'd also suggest clearly definiting usage if you want to compare battery life. One person's "moderate" is not another's. People always tend to assume that they're moderate or within the median even if they have no clue what the others are like. If nothing else, at least have posters supply a baseline for comparison such as battery life with the stock kernel.

#10 takeshi, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  11. borq646

borq646 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Oh hey, another person noticed. Zero has a complex. He comes here and "helps" but does it with a backhanded put down every time also.

12. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    zero barrier has helped countless amount of people although some responses can be narcissistic he is a good guy. matter fact he helped me a cpl times and i am grateful. it might just be the topic and how redundant it really is. Because he is not stretching the truth in anyway. all devices are different not everyone is gonna get same readings.
    So in honesty in no way can you get a true test for comparison, unless all had the same device, rom, applications, or habits<~~ and i dont mean 1 or 2 application difference has to be 100% identical

I do also understand what the op is trying to do but in no way will it really help anyone. The true test is for the op to do by himself on his phone and that is test every kernel, and the usage he goes thru and then post his findings if he felt like it.

#12 jasonppp, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010