Battery Life 5.5

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Ma_USMC, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My phone is 3G only, I've never seen it drop to 1x. I've tried both the stock 1 GHz kernel and the 800 LV kernel. I don't know how to use mtop, I was told by another poster to run it and display the results in this thread. Other than that I haven't looked into it much.

2. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your mtop is showing higher than normal cpu usage for the services listed. These can be caused by applications and many unknowns.

Eliminate your uknowns: reflash the ROM delete data and cache. Then, install a few apps ad see if they are causing issues.

3. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I posted somewhere as a joke that if 5.5 battery life was better than 5.4, then I'd be getting a couple days on a single charge.

Turns out, it wasn't a joke...LOL! I did update to 5.5 and forgot to charge it the other day. Granted, it was a day of very little actual use, but it made it through two days and had a slight charge to spare; I can't remember ever having such great battery life.

The improved speed from CM 7 and the now amazing battery life has got me really wanting to keep this ROM...if only I could resolve the occasional hiccup in phone calls I recently posted about. That issue may have me very reluctantly switching back.

4. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Titanium Backup, it might be that and how it restores the apps.

5. kmagameguy

kmagameguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whitechapel, try ridding yourself of Words Free. I used that app when it first started to get popular and saw my battery life plummet by at least 50%. A few of my friends on other phone models have had the same experience, whatever that app does in the background is bad news bears.

6. Sixonefour

Sixonefour Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To get into mtop, open your app drawer and find Terminal Emulator and open it. Type 'mtop' on the command line without the quotes and hit enter. This will loop information about the processes running on your phone. Out of all of that information you see, look in the second column for Cpu%. You will see what processes are eating up your CPU. While mtop is looping, use the built in screen capture feature to snap a photo of it. The photos get stored in the DCIM folder on your SD card in a subfolder called Screenshots. Just cut the image you capture from your SD card to your PC and upload it here.

Have you tried a MEDIUM voltage kernel yet?

If you reflashed the ROM do not use any app to restore any data (IE Titanium Backup). Do it all manually. Its a pain but you risk restoring the issue as well as your apps.

I hope this helps and keep us posted.

#66 Sixonefour, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. FireFoxMcCloud

FireFoxMcCloud New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still having horrible battery life myself. Have an extended battery and only get 6 hours with 4 apps running. What is this. -. .-

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

8. phishn

phishn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    View attachment 39909

That's running prime's deprimed previous kernel. 250-900 MHz ulv, bumblebee governor. 58 minutes display usage. Oom tiers 6,8,26,28,28,30.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#68 phishn, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Remember how before I was complaining about battery life? I got my new standard battery in, and check out the life I'm getting off light usage! (Haven't had much of a reason to use my phone lately)

10. Sixonefour

Sixonefour Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff! I should probably order a new battery myself but doubt I will. I think I'm about 6 months away from a fully discounted upgrade. Hell I'm not even sure I'm staying with Verizon at this point. Every other carrier seems to be getting cheaper on the data plans. Definitely staying with Android though. Glad to hear you found your solution!

11. FireFoxMcCloud

FireFoxMcCloud New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh wait. My only problem is wifi. Why does it drain so much battery?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

12. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found this out as well. Polling interval when not locked on to a router perhaps?

Turn it off when not in the proximity of an access point.