Battery Life - 2.2 FRG22 by Pete

discgolfdc

Reaction score
Hi, all...

I don't know if this is some sort of odd-ball thing. I know Pete's always done good stuff, and I don't know if this has anything to do with the ROM, specifically, but has anyone noticed a fairly more significant battery draw with 2.2 as opposed to 2.1? Specifically, when looking at what is using my battery, there are a couple of things known as "Cell standby" and "Phone idle" that are at the top of the energy consumption list. My battery was fully charged this morning, and with no use/calls and display off all day, I'm at about 50% power by 4:30pm. I compared mine to a 2.2 stock update and, although it also was about the same in battery power level, her Cell standby and Phone idle aren't anywhere NEAR mine.

Any ideas, feedback or suggestions?

Thanks!

JL

P.S. Cell standby is at about 36% and Phone idle is at about 24%.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
A few possibilities come to mind. First, check your facebook to see if it is the latest update. They had a problem with the first update that created a battery drain, word is that it's fixed and a newer version pushed out.

Second, touch your "cell standby" (*I think it was that, it may be phone idle,) and see if it lists "time without signal 50%." That was a known bug that I believe never really got resolved. If you have the time without signal thing, turn airplane mode on, and then off again. It always fixed for me on 2.1, but was a PITA to do after every boot.

I don't have the bug anymore, and I'm not exactly sure of the "fix." I don't have the thread on hand, but I think some reported that rebooting the phone in airplane mode kept it at bay. Maybe someone else can chime about that, I did some monkeying around with kernels and roms and it just "went away" for me. Finally settled in to bb04 and a p3 kernel.

Sharp

Reaction score
re: Battery

Try to download an Advanced Application Killer program. Each time before you phone goes to sleep mor run this program and kill all applications running behind your screen.

OP
D

discgolfdc

Reaction score
I will check the cell standby again and see what happens. I have ATK and EStrongs going. One thing I've noticed is that when I was running 2.1, These could get my process count to 0, while now, the EStrongs widget gets down to a count of 1 or 2 at the very least.

I'm running Facebook 1.3.1, which is the last update of which I am aware. I'll double-check, though. I appreciate the feedback and welcome more.

Thanks again.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I'd remove the task killer if I were you. There have been many warnings against these. Android has a built in "task killer," so there isn't any point in running one. Some have said that they even force the OS into working harder, opening programs again and again after they are killed. Task killers just aren't needed and cause more problems than they solve. If you must tweak, download a rom that supports changing the memory management settings of Android.

OP
D

discgolfdc

Reaction score
I'll try that too. I have gotten rid of FB app entirely. Useless app, especially since it mainly just sends you to the web anyway.

FolsomFear

Reaction score
ive been running frg22 for a couple days now and i have seen much batery drain. my phone idle is at 15 and cell standby is at 12.

Sharp

Reaction score
Since I started to use an Advanced task killer app. I noted significant improvement in my Droid X battery performance. Just make sure that any time you are placing your phone to sleep mode, run Task Killer before that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I started to use an Advanced task killer app. I noted significant improvement in my Droid X battery performance. Just make sure that any time you are placing your phone to sleep mode, run Task Killer before that.

Soooo…your theory is to kill all apps and put it to sleep and the apps won't start up again? If that's the case you are very mistaken.

Once again, as we've said many times task killers are not necessary.

OP
D

discgolfdc

Reaction score
So far...

Well, so far, I have completely jettisoned the Facebook app (in its entirety -- I don't have v1.2 OR v1.3.1) AND ATK. Phone came off the charger at 10:35am. It is not 3:38pm and I have not so much as lost the tip of my battery yet. So things look pretty good.

I have also ditched a couple of apps that EStrongs have shown as running in the background that I ultimately have no real use for.

OP
D

discgolfdc

Reaction score
Update: Battery life SIGNIFICANTLY improved after removing Facebook app (junk anyway). Battery came off charger yesterday (Saturday) morning at 10:35am. Even with some light/moderate use, battery is down to about 20% after over 48 hrs. off the charger. That's more like it. Would I love a really hi-capacity battery? Sure. But this is more what I was used to. Thanks for the FB tip-off.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I don't think I can remove my facebook app cuz I think the rom I'm using came with it. :( ..liquids frozen yogurt rom.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Actually I used a script and was able to remove it. ;? Still use my phone like crazy so same battery..