Battery issues

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by mcraeh, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Hey everyone,

In the last month or two, I have noticed that my battery is draining much faster than it used to. First thing I did was the calibration thing, charging it from 10% with it turned off, twice in a row. That has helped in the past, but not so this time. I haven't installed anything new lately, and in fact, the other day, I didn't even look at my phone all day, didn't make a call, but when I went to use it for the first time at 6pm, it was at 40% of the battery, which is really unusual. I take if off the charger at 6am and by the time I go to bed at 10pm, it is at 5% unless I find a charger before then. So I looked at the battery statistics, and Android OS is the biggest user by far. I don't recall any OS updates recently, and I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Or is it just that my phone is 1 1/2 years old now and Motorola does that on purpose to have me so frustrated with it when my upgrade is due that I'll be sure to buy the latest and greatest? I also have issues with it being pretty slow, but really all I do on it is email, text, and calls. I can get around the lag by rebooting it, but the battery issue is pretty constant.

Thanks!
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello and welcome..imho you should reboot the phone,go to the google play store and download gsam battery monitor. Run it for a few days and see what it shows in app sucker.

But first..your solution could be simple...in the droid command center(clock, weather, battery percentage) tap the battery percentage..see what apps or processes it shows as using the most battery..

Facebook, chrome, media, twitter, your screen..these are my top drains...force stop them..

Screen brightness, color of your wallpaper(white sucks down battery bad) adjust these..

How's your signal?? Cell service isn't like a light bulb..meaning it works or doesn't..it can still be present but have a poor signal and drain battery even more than normal..

Try these suggestions out and get back to us...REBOOT ..thats a definite. :cool:

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
  3. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Thanks, I don't have gsam, but in the battery section under settings, it says that "Android OS" is the number one hog, by far. I've had the phone unplugged for 6.5 hours, and Android OS is at 66% of battery usage. Next closest is the screen, at 10. Everything else is well below that. I do reboot it at least once a week, but lately it's been more like every other day or so. I really don't want to FDR, but I suppose I will if I have to. I guess in the meantime I'll download this gsam thing and see what it says.

Thanks!
  4. 94lt1

No problem..I suspect it will show the kernel as your battery vampire..

Try going into settings, storage, tap cache and select clear...this could help..I'm thinking doing it through the recovery menu would yield better results...get back to us..we'll walk ya through it.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
  5. 94lt1

Here's what I'm showing as of right now.. But I'm running kit kat..so I'll be slightly different...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
  6. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Thanks for the help... sorry for the dumb questions, but what is the "recovery menu"? Also, I went into the storage under settings, but I didn't see an option for cache or anything to clear it. Finally, how do people post those screenshots from their phones? :)
  7. 94lt1

Screen shot, push power and vol down at the same time..you'll hear it..

On the case..it says cached data on my device but again I'm on kit kat. It may be different..

The recovery menu is for several things..you can use it to clear the phones cache, download stored updates and other things.. I wouldn't recommend messing with that right this second.. :)

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey 94lt1, don't forget he's on the Droid RAZR MAXX, not the Droid Ultra/MAXX as you and I are.
  9. 94lt1

It did elude me ..good eye lol

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
  10. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Well, I learned a new trick! So I downloaded gsam and I looked at it this morning. It is also saying the number one battery hog is Kernel (Android OS). So if that is the case, what can I do about it? It is really odd that it seems to discharge the battery faster later in the day also. Yesterday I had 60% of the battery at 3pm, but by 6pm, it was down to 35. I am on Android version 4.1.2, and it is a Razr MAXX that I got almost a year and a half ago.

View attachment 69105
  11. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

Look at the second "sticky" thread (right at the top) in this forum titled "Clearing you Cache". It will walk you through the process of clearing it through the recovery menu. Sometimes pushing the buttons exactly at the same time can be tricky, just keep trying until the menu comes up. It's not that hard. If I can do it, anyone can. I have used an app called Clean Master in the past, but I don't think it did nearly as good of a job as doing it through the recovery menu. Hopefully this will help.

BTW, make sure you select Clear Cache, not Reset unless you really want to do a FDR. Start with clearing the cache first.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  12. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Yes, I was coming back to report that I did go through that thread yesterday and cleared the cache, along with downloading and running the "App Cache Cleaner". And wow, that certainly did help with the sluggishness I had been seeing. So I guess I'll have to give it a couple of days now to see if the battery life gets any better.

Thanks!
  13. morcguy

morcguy New Member

I did this a few days ago, and saw same results but seems to be slowing again already.

Jeff
  14. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Same here, I thought it was lots better at first, but today it has been slow again. Also, the battery is still draining faster than normal it seems. Friday I couldn't get through the day without charging it. I was down to 10% by 6pm. Number one battery user according to gsam was Kernel. Anything else I can try?
  15. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

A software update is being pushed out. I am not sure if this maybe the culprit. Usually, my phone needs a break in period when updates are pushed.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/system_update/droid_razr.html

Another thing to check is system settings--more--mobile network-network mode. Set to LTE/CDMA if not already. I remember reading in earlier threads about global mode is a battery drainer.
  16. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

I saw that, but I don't think it has been pushed to mine yet. I went to the "software updates" and then it told me I had one ready to be downloaded. I didn't do it, I don't want to make things worse and I saw the other thread about people having this same issue after getting that update.

Oh, and I double checked, but the phone is definitely set to LTE/CDMA, always has been. I did that first thing when I got it.
  17. morcguy

morcguy New Member

I was apparently on global mode so I switched to LTE. Too soon to tell if a battery impact.

Jeff
  18. morcguy

morcguy New Member

I installed the update. No noticeable changes

Jeff
  19. DROIDX2TN

DROIDX2TN New Member

Installed it, no changes, FoxFi and PDANet+ still work fine.
  20. mcraeh

mcraeh New Member

Well, I got tired of being reminded to install the update, so I did. And the battery is worse than ever now. I can't even get home from work before the phone tells me to connect my charger. Still shows Android OS as number battery user, 55%. The next highest is my email client at 4.1%. What in the world could cause this? Is it just the battery is getting worn out?

--Edited to add I saw in the other post that the mobile network setting changed back to global for some people, but I checked and mine is still set to LTE/CDMA. Also, wanted to mention I did the battery calibration again and it didn't help at all. And to add to it on top of everything, after a week the phone is just as sluggish as it was before I cleared the cache. It was noticeably better right after I did it, but only took a couple of days to slow way down again. So annoying!
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
Search tags for this page

android os battery drain razr maxx

droid maxx battery issues

droid maxx draining fast android os

droid razr kit later update tricks

droid razr maxx android os battery drain

galaxy nexus drains battery fast

galaxy s3 android os battery drain

my android battery drain fast and my credit also drain fast

razr maxx android os battery