Battery Issues with BB v0.4

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by fatjedi, Jul 5, 2010.

1. avt123

avt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    3G stays on but for voice. The data comes in through WiFi.

2. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Wi-Fi isn't optimized for mobile platforms; as such on things like phones, Wi-Fi actually uses more power than the cellular radio does.

3. avt123

avt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh wow. Weird. I still get better battery life when using WiFi. Just using the cell radio I can basically watch the battery level drop very quickly.

http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.co...hone-Batterys-Worst-Enemy-The-Wi-Fi-Radio.htm

#15 avt123, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    #16 ZeroBarrier, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  5. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I take it that for normal daily usages like texting, internet and email that 800 mhz is fine for a phone?? I'm on BB v.4 with 1.2GHZ P3. I usually let petes script control the cpus speed. I was able to get 10 hours of it for that kind of usage. YOu think if I set it at 800 Mhz I would still get great performance and more battery dancedroid

6. skyyaa

skyyaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone notice that phone calls really drain it inordinately quick? if I make even a 5 - 10min phone call, it'll immediately become the highest ranked program under battery usage. Otherwise I've found battery life to be pretty good, never had 1. 1 though to compare. Using Chevy ulv 1ghz kernel fyi.

7. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    What I dont get is once my phone is fully charged, I unplug it from outlet and start checking emails the battery drops down to 90% in less than 10 min...sigh... Dont get it

8. Ecnassianer

Ecnassianer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to keep in mind, is even if you don't use wifi, you're still sapping juice discovering networks. If you don't use it, turn it off.

However, if you're using the Wifi instead of 3G... factual posts above this one, and my own anecdotal experience show that you're much better off leaving the wifi on.

9. biz79

biz79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @Fatjedi

I'm using BB v0.4, Chevys 1GHZ ulv kernel, and smoked glass theme for v0.4 too. I noticed yesterday that I was also having terrible battery life, and I think its from the themed genie app. Check to see if the genie's weather says it can't find location. I think it maybe a GPS bug and I saw a fix in Chevy's forum, but haven't tried it. I took off the widget and it seems better today.

10. fatjedi

fatjedi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After looking at phone usage statistics in spare parts it seems like the genie is alright. It's not having any problems finding my location. It does seem that ESPN Scorecenter is using up a lot of bandwidth. Does anyone else use this?

11. Jester6x

Jester6x Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I use to use the ESPN app and I found it to be very slow and use a lot of resources. I got rid of it and things got better.

12. cooltool

cooltool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I always read the battery issue post by other and thought they are doing something wrong...

Well, it has now happened to me!

I use to get most amazing battery life with BB 1.1 with moderate use (calls, bluetooth, texting,apps, games, emails) 16-18 hours!

I am now using BB .4 and with very minimal use I get around 10-13 hours before I have to recharge?!? This is a clean install, wiped everything clean and restored after installing. Blue energy theme. Launcherpro.

I have tried almost all the kernels with same results! I tried the stock 800Mhz, ChevyNo1 800Mhz low and ultra low voltage, ChevyNo1 1GHz Low and Ultra low, P3 900Mhz Low voltage (125Hz) and 900Mhz LV (250Mhz), and Bekit's one kernel that i've found.

My top battery usage is Display, Voice calls, android system, cell standby, phone idle, launcherpro, android OS.