1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery Issues with BB v0.4

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by fatjedi, Jul 5, 2010.

1. fatjedi

fatjedi New Member

Has anyone run into any battery issues with v0.4? I installed two days ago, and I've had to recharge my phone four or five times since then. Usually I can go a whole day of regular use on v0.3. I am using the latest ChevyNo1 800Mhz ULV kernel, and have setup up some setCPU profiles to curb the battery life somewhat. I am open to most suggestions.
  2. buckfill

buckfill New Member

I had a very similar setup as you and was experiencing the same issue. I tried several different kernels, but think I am getting closer. I am now using Chevy ULV 800. I also removed SetCPU and my task killer. I read somewhere that Chevy has all that built into his package, so it's actually causing the phone to work against itself.

Believe it or not, I am now on 20 hours and still at 70%. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Also, it might help if you could post what apps you have installed. There are some apps that are known to love the battery...
  3. gioviat

gioviat New Member

i had the same issue changed my kernel to chevyno1 7slot lv800.....works beautifully now!!
  4. avt123

avt123 New Member

I'm running P3's lv 250Mhz-1Ghz kernel and my battery life is great. I keep it on 1Ghz until my battery/temp reaches a certain level and SetCPU profiles kick in. I easily get a day of use, sometimes 2 days with medium use.

Medium use for me in 1 day = 100+texts, 10-15 emails, up to an hour of browsing and a few hours of streaming music.

It also helps that I'm always around WiFi though.
  5. JFDroid

JFDroid New Member

I've been getting pretty lame battery life with BBV0.4, however, it is a bit better with Chevy's 800mhz LV kernel. Still, it's not nearly as good as I got with BBV1.1 (Android 2.1) with Bekit's 1.1ghz LV kernel. Sighs.
  6. gioviat

gioviat New Member

for some reason chevyno1 ulv800 kernel was giving my random reboots..so i went with lv800 and no problems since...im running setcpu @ 400-800 and it runs super cool from 85c - 95c....
  7. bodean

bodean New Member

How do you do a 100 text and maintain battery? Do u use autobrightness on the droid or manually set it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. BOA

BOA New Member

I have EXCELLENT battery life with BB 0.4 but I'm running the kernel that came with it and have not changed anything. I'm also not running any theme. I would strongly suggest to anyone having battery issues to check the kernel they are running and themes they are running. I've done some tests on this and found out that most of the issues people have with their phone are linked back to the kernels they are running. Stick with 800 LV kernel and you should fine. If not then there's something else going on with your phone.
  9. avt123

avt123 New Member

I use auto-brightness. I also do not leave GPS on and have my RSS, weather and other auto-updates on a nice refresh time.

Like I said before, I also am in WiFi areas a lot so that helps data wise.
  10. bodean

bodean New Member

I thought wifi drains battery more than 3g?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. avt123

avt123 New Member

Cell radios use more power. When using WiFi for data you will get better battery life. This is at least what I've been told for years.
  12. fatjedi

fatjedi New Member

I am currently using the smoked glass theme for v0.4. I don't think that is the problem.

Do you turn off your 3g antenna? I assumed it was worse because the 3g stays on, so you are running two things instead of one.
  13. avt123

avt123 New Member

3G stays on but for voice. The data comes in through WiFi.
  14. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Banned

Wi-Fi isn't optimized for mobile platforms; as such on things like phones, Wi-Fi actually uses more power than the cellular radio does.
  15. avt123

avt123 New Member

Oh wow. Weird. I still get better battery life when using WiFi. Just using the cell radio I can basically watch the battery level drop very quickly.

http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.co...hone-Batterys-Worst-Enemy-The-Wi-Fi-Radio.htm
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  16. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Banned

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  17. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

I take it that for normal daily usages like texting, internet and email that 800 mhz is fine for a phone?? I'm on BB v.4 with 1.2GHZ P3. I usually let petes script control the cpus speed. I was able to get 10 hours of it for that kind of usage. YOu think if I set it at 800 Mhz I would still get great performance and more battery dancedroid
  18. skyyaa

skyyaa New Member

Anyone notice that phone calls really drain it inordinately quick? if I make even a 5 - 10min phone call, it'll immediately become the highest ranked program under battery usage. Otherwise I've found battery life to be pretty good, never had 1. 1 though to compare. Using Chevy ulv 1ghz kernel fyi.
  19. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

What I dont get is once my phone is fully charged, I unplug it from outlet and start checking emails the battery drops down to 90% in less than 10 min...sigh... Dont get it
  20. Ecnassianer

Ecnassianer New Member

One thing to keep in mind, is even if you don't use wifi, you're still sapping juice discovering networks. If you don't use it, turn it off.

However, if you're using the Wifi instead of 3G... factual posts above this one, and my own anecdotal experience show that you're much better off leaving the wifi on.