Battery Issues - Android System using battery heavily

Alchemy

Reaction score
A little background: I have been a Motorola Droid (1) user since shortly after it was first released. I have rooted/unrooted, installed ROMs, tinkered with CPU settings, etc. In other words, I know what I'm doing at least to a degree.

Two days ago, my fiance joined my wireless plan and got her first ever smartphone--a Droid X. Since then, she has been having crazy bad battery life. The phone is new out of the box, with a new battery. On the first full day she had the phone, after being plugged in charging all night, the battery was down to 15% by something like 1 p.m. She hadn't really used the phone much at all. Same story today--literally completely dead already by about 2:30 p.m.

Yesterday, I had her check battery usage, and 81% or something was being used by Android System. Again, let me reiterate: the majority of the hours were idle, she hardly used the phone at all. Knowing my phone very well, I've found that on days of moderate to low usage, Display, Phone idle, and Cell standby are generally the highest users of battery, with Android System usually next.

She's frustrated, not nearly as savvy as I am with the phone, and ready to simply return it or get a new battery without letting me work with it first. I have explained that a new battery won't help (more than likely). For some reason, Android System is burning up CPU cycles all the time, crushing battery life.

How can I find out specifically what's eating the battery? I assume it's a widget, something syncing constantly, or a broken app. She has not downloaded anything from the market yet.

Thanks!

Jedijesus95

Reaction score
I don't really have an answer but I'm also having battery issues. On wifi my phone will last a good 24 hours, on 3g it might last 8. That maybe one of your issues.

JonDroidX

Reaction score
When I first got my DX my battery life was pretty bad, but not that bad. On a full charge my phone would die by 7pm. So I set it to max battery saver, turned off all auto-syncing apps (email, facebook, etc.) and started using power control widgets to turn bluetooth/wifi on or off (i only need BT when I am in the car). With these changes I have about 70% battery remaining by 7pm.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

JonDroidX

Reaction score
Forgot to mention my Android System is showing 8% right now. By far the highest battery usage is the display at 60%

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I'd have to agree. Sounds like a widget or something. Try the battery saver mode. And possibly a factory data reset might help too. My wifes X gets pretty good battery life from light to moderate use.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
A

Alchemy

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had her keeping her Bluetooth off. It's probably syncing with Facebook, Google, and mail regularly, but that still doesn't explain the extreme heavy battery usage. I really wanna pin down what's actually using all the power.

OP
A

Alchemy

Reaction score
I'd have to agree. Sounds like a widget or something. Try the battery saver mode. And possibly a factory data reset might help too. My wifes X gets pretty good battery life from light to moderate use.

Sent from somewhere...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably do a factory reset if I can't nail down the issue. I'd rather find the root of the problem so I can avoid it in the future, though. And there's a chance that the factory reset doesn't help--she's running basically a factory image right now anyway. She hasn't done much too it. Would a factory reset even fix it if that's the case? The same widgets and apps will simply be restored.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its hard with just android system as the highest user. There's a lot that falls under that. Do you have good reception? What's the db?
Does she have a lot of widgets up? I removed most of my wifes before she took control of it....she never let's me play with it now :(

Have you checked accounts to see if somethings stuck syncing?

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Sent from somewhere...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably do a factory reset if I can't nail down the issue. I'd rather find the root of the problem so I can avoid it in the future, though. And there's a chance that the factory reset doesn't help--she's running basically a factory image right now anyway. She hasn't done much too it. Would a factory reset even fix it if that's the case? The same widgets and apps will simply be restored.

It might help if somethings stuck running. Not sure if there's a safe mode on the X like on the D1...if so that could help see if its an app.

If you do the reset I would try skipping the initial log in. Tap the four corners of the screen starting top left and go clockwise. With no account in there nothing should sync and see if that helps.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
A

Alchemy

Reaction score
Its hard with just android system as the highest user. There's a lot that falls under that. Do you have good reception? What's the db?
Does she have a lot of widgets up? I removed most of my wifes before she took control of it....she never let's me play with it now :(

Have you checked accounts to see if somethings stuck syncing?

Sent from somewhere...

She has quite a few widgets up, however, most of them came factory installed. If anything, she has removed some of the ones from the default setup, rather than adding any. I don't think she has an unreasonable amount--a clock, weather, messages, a couple of quick contacts, stuff like that. I don't know how her reception is. I assume it's fine for the most part. Mine has always been great in our city. I will take a look at the db when I get a chance, as she's not home now.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Check the weather widget. I know some poll data as much as every 15 minutes.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
A

Alchemy

Reaction score
Just a follow up in case anyone is curious. Thanks for the responses attempting to help. Here's what ended up happening.

After it totally died yesterday, she got it home and charged it briefly and tried to turn it on. It would not turn back on. I had to remove the battery, put it back in, and power it on. The device turned on until you turned the screen back off, and then would not respond at all, and required removing the battery. Every time you turned it back on, the same thing happened. Did a factory restore, and it behaved the same way. I took it back to Verizon Wireless and they straight up replaced it with a brand new one (including battery) out of a box.

Hopefully that fixes things. This wasn't normal!

the5barrons

Reaction score
Take advantage of the new slate. Be weary of settings, widgets, and un reputable apps.

I suggest starting slow after having wiped out what might not be to your liking. Add till your satisfied.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp