Battery Issue

Jacob9424

Reaction score
I know this was probably posted millions of times but this is insane...something got to be wrong. Just left phone off charger after it reached 100% and i didn't touch it for a full hour and now its 60%...im not running any apps that i know of anyone know how they recovered their battery from this?

jboucheb

Reaction score
I know this was probably posted millions of times but this is insane...something got to be wrong. Just left phone off charger after it reached 100% and i didn't touch it for a full hour and now its 60%...im not running any apps that i know of anyone know how they recovered their battery from this?

The battery is really ridiculous. Check this out: i have basically everything off (except for Bluetooth) like GPS, Wifi, auto-sync, i even took out the friendstream widget and the clock/weather widget off, and I was streaming TuneWiki for maybe 2.5 hours from a fully charged battery, and after I looked, the battery was down to maybe 60% AND THAT WAS WITH THE SCREEN OFF THE WHOLE TIME!!! wth?!

I even have the brightness reduced to 20% for "normal" use so that I don't kill the battery. But the more I use it (I'm on day # 3 now), and the more that I see the need to keep it plugged in all the time...coupled with the fact that I'm having a hard time holding the phone comfortably in my left hand while the thing is charging, is driving me more and more to returning it tomorrow. I feel let down and disappointed.

Javaknight

Reaction score
do you turn off the mobile network when not in use? I did that yesterday and the phone was good for 20+ hours. hopefully this continues...

jboucheb

Reaction score
do you turn off the mobile network when not in use? I did that yesterday and the phone was good for 20+ hours. hopefully this continues...

I keep the network on in case I get a text message or a phone call. It's my only phone so I can't turn off the cellular service, you know?

Man i really want to be able to use this phone...i want to give it an honest chance before giving up. I guess i just have to keep it plugged in while in the car. now i'm constantly monitoring how the battery is used to see if anything out of the ordinary is running so I can kill it. I noticed mediaserver was taking up a good chunk and when I went to running services, i noticed some stuff running that I didn't open (like slacker radio.) I did a reboot and that cleaned all that up for now.

Maybe a software update will come out before my 14 day return period is up. We'll see.

Javaknight

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure turning off the mobile network only shuts down the 3G/4G connectivity. I am able to text with it off...

replicant

Reaction score
i highly suggest green power or juicedefender; it took my battery life to a whole new level. it never dipped below 40% all day, granted i didn't use it much other than for phone calls and text messages (which came in just fine, even though green power was managing those services for me).

EDIT: I also rooted last night, so we'll see if that will help even more (was able to remove a lot of the bloatware; i didn't use the bloatware rom by Adrynalyne yet, was waiting on a rom manager compatible method)

jboucheb

Reaction score
i highly suggest green power or juicedefender; it took my battery life to a whole new level. it never dipped below 40% all day, granted i didn't use it much other than for phone calls and text messages (which came in just fine, even though green power was managing those services for me).

EDIT: I also rooted last night, so we'll see if that will help even more (was able to remove a lot of the bloatware; i didn't use the bloatware rom by Adrynalyne yet, was waiting on a rom manager compatible method)

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out green power. I had the OG droid, rooted and customized like crazy, but i'm deciding to stay stock with this one although I also want a way to remove all that stupid bloatware crap somehow.

neoflex

Reaction score
The battery life on this thing has been disappointing to say the very least. I was so excited to get my hands on this thing but having to re-charge every 4 to 5 hours just isn't practical. Has anyone tried the smaller extended battery that doesn't require the new cover that converts the phone to be the size of a Mini Cooper? I have task killer but may need to try the Green Power. How will this program effect receiving my e-mails, text and G-Talk messages?

MrMan8

Reaction score
I've noticed a huge difference when I disabled "always on data". I went from a battery lasting 6hrs a day to one that has lasted 11hrs and is still at 40%.

neoflex

Reaction score
I've noticed a huge difference when I disabled "always on data". I went from a battery lasting 6hrs a day to one that has lasted 11hrs and is still at 40%.
I wish I could do that but I need the data so I can stay on top of e-mails when I am out of the office which is a great deal of time for me. Still not acceptable as that route may work but if I didn't want to have data I could have saved a ton of money both on the initial purchase and every month by going with a dumb phone. I honestly hope that HTC/VZW realize they have an issue here and at least offer a slightly larger battery to us at no additional costs. I like all the other aspects of the phone but dislike having to be tied to a charger. Will I dump the phone before my 14 days is up? Honestly, the jury is still out.

MrMan8

Reaction score
I wish I could do that but I need the data so I can stay on top of e-mails when I am out of the office which is a great deal of time for me. Still not acceptable as that route may work but if I didn't want to have data I could have saved a ton of money both on the initial purchase and every month by going with a dumb phone. I honestly hope that HTC/VZW realize they have an issue here and at least offer a slightly larger battery to us at no additional costs. I like all the other aspects of the phone but dislike having to be tied to a charger. Will I dump the phone before my 14 days is up? Honestly, the jury is still out.

I'm still receiving emails even with the setting disabled. You might want to try it. It can't hurt anything. If you can't get emails you can always turn it back on.

neoflex

Reaction score

I'm still receiving emails even with the setting disabled. You might want to try it. It can't hurt anything. If you can't get emails you can always turn it back on.

Sweet, if your still getting e-mails than I got to try it. I get 4-5hrs tops. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Here's what I've been doing :
-juice defender: disabled the four largest data Bloatware apps, toggeled data off when screen is off
-settings: every app that syncs I have put to manual update, dimmed screen down between 20%-30% brightness, location is off as well as auto sync
-I have removed large widget that require data to work ( I don't really use them much anyway)
-and I suppose if you want to go to the extremes and have LTE in your area you can go to your phone dial screen and type in: *#*#4636#*#* and press dial to be sent into "testing mode" there you can turn the LTE radio off by playing with the phone settings, you need to scroll down a little far to find the toggle menu and then you can change the radio from LTE auto and cdma to just cdma or anything lower. This will drastically reduce "battery vaporization" as I call it.

Keep in mind, cereal killer mentioned that even though HTC pressured Verizon to release the phone earlier with a little bit of bugs, they did however agree to release an ota for the phone that will most likely optimize your battery settings internally.

Lastly, remember, when you start to break in a new phone, especially smartphones, the battery at the start will be sketchy but will most likely adapt to the amount of your usage after awhile

Departed from the Stratosphere