Battery is horrible....

cboo357

Reaction score
What are you folks saying to Verizon to get a new battery??

I went in today and the guys would not give me a free one, despite having a similar problem... Display is also eating up 70+% of my battery....

Whats the keyword to get yourself a new battery at no charge?

Really?! Weird. I just walked in yesterday and explained the problem. She was kinda beating around the bush a bit and told me a new battery would do nothing. However, at the end, I kinda insisted that I try it out so she threw it in the phone and I was on my way.

So they gave you a new battery, straight out of the box - just because you asked, for free?? ..... can you get me one?? haha

Straight outta the box...she even brought it out and opened it in front of me, then put it in. Like I said, she didn't seem thrilled about it but I kinda persisted I wanted to try a new battery. It hasn't helped one bit. My friend has a Droid Incredible. He showed me his power usage and his screen is using 15% of his battery. I understand it is a LED screen, but come on...my screen is using up 90-95% of my battery??!? That's insane. I'm absolutely in love with this phone, it's amazing...but this battery thing has me puzzled. I need to have a charger with me at all times.

I listend to another post on here and shut down my social networking (avid FB user but that Facebook widget is absolutely horrible). So, I'll find out tomorrow if that helped at all.

rickreno

Reaction score
There are multiple threads here about batteries - I'd suggest reading thru them and trying the various suggestions.
My usage stats have changed significantly since installing my new battery, and the new battery is lasting longer.

Really?! Weird. I just walked in yesterday and explained the problem. She was kinda beating around the bush a bit and told me a new battery would do nothing. However, at the end, I kinda insisted that I try it out so she threw it in the phone and I was on my way.

So they gave you a new battery, straight out of the box - just because you asked, for free?? ..... can you get me one?? haha

Straight outta the box...she even brought it out and opened it in front of me, then put it in. Like I said, she didn't seem thrilled about it but I kinda persisted I wanted to try a new battery. It hasn't helped one bit. My friend has a Droid Incredible. He showed me his power usage and his screen is using 15% of his battery. I understand it is a LED screen, but come on...my screen is using up 90-95% of my battery??!? That's insane. I'm absolutely in love with this phone, it's amazing...but this battery thing has me puzzled. I need to have a charger with me at all times.

I listend to another post on here and shut down my social networking (avid FB user but that Facebook widget is absolutely horrible). So, I'll find out tomorrow if that helped at all.

Izord

Reaction score
I just want to say again that I have great battery life on my DroidX.

I'm not running any memory managers or anything special.

Yesterday I unplugged my DroidX at 4 am and at 10pm it was in the yellow.

I didn't plug it in all day, and I used it normally. Nothing extensive, but a little GPS, a little data, some phone calls and Gtalk messages.

I had an Evo that I returned because of weak signal on Sprint at work, but it's battery was always nearly dead by 3pm in the two weeks I used it.

So the DroidX can have pretty darned good battery life.

hoola

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but charging it via USB is negligable... when you charge over night (and as often as you can), PLUG it in to the wall, makes a HUGE difference in mine. Still not happy with the life of the battery though. Looking for a dock for an extra battery like I had with my blackberry (very convenient).

you nailed it my friend. If i charge my phone usb/pc overnight i am lucky to get 6 hours out of my droid x doing NOTHING. If i charge usb/wall overnight. I will get 12 to 16 hours of heavy use EASILY.

orangepeel

Reaction score
I don't know how people are having battery problems. I'm either lucky, or people are using task killers and other crap they don't need. Who knows. I can't speak for anyone else. Actually, I can! One person I live with has an X as well, and he gets fantastic battery life from his phone, too. He didn't charge it last night and I just saw him an hour ago and he was at 20% battery since yesterday morning. And he texts a lot for work (works @ VZW actually). I'm stumped by people claiming to have a dead battery after half a day.

It happens. I've had a few apps that just slammed my battery. I usually uninstall them or us an app killer (yes I use one for a few apps)when I'm done using that app.One app that will eat my battery up is Tweetcaster.

Another thing you have to consider is if the phone is in a poor fringe location and it's always searching for a network,which can take the life out of a battery.

Knightley

Reaction score
My battery life is awful! I'm hoping someone can give me pointers on how to change that. I charge it from the wall every night, have it on battery saving mode, and today only used handcent and made a few phone calls. This started at like 9am today and by 3pm I was at 30% life and had to charge it.

I saw a couple pages back that someone said to turn off updates on widgets or something...? How? Any other tips or tricks you guys can think of? Please :)

kp416

Reaction score
I have been having battery issues also. I think i am finally starting to get somewhere. Went to the Verizon store today and was told to us appkiller. I had it before and removed it after reading everything on messages boards about how th droid os will handle it.

Since I installed it i have gone from 60 to 40 percent over several hours of total use. Screen is at a minimum but I was never getting this time before. I think this is helping but it is still not finding the root cause.

I installed systempanel and started to look at the CPU that each app is pulling. What was using the most CPU? Racing Live from storm8. World War from storm8. Appkiller and the SystemPanel app. I have removed the storm8 apps and will see how it goes. I read about.google voice, skype, or music apps runnning in the background but they are not using any cpu power.

I will report back with any additonal apps i see that are hogging cpu as well as if this works. I will probably remove apkiller eventually once i find all of the apps that are the problem children.

hazynighthawk

Reaction score
yeah my battery annoys me as well i just read this thread today and am gonna see what few changes i did wll do but i unplugged at like 130 pm today and t was at like 40% by like 6 and now at 10 at 1045 i prolly send around 500ish texts day maybe more a few checks of facebook and weather channel... not any browser. only widget i use it vizbattery and beautiful home... bluetooth on thats it.. auto dimming screen. i dont know why it dies so fast!!! i might go into verizon and make them gimmie a new battery ?

pilot25

Reaction score
500 texts a day!! That will totally kill your battery. it isn't so much the texts but it's the screen that is killing your battery. running apps in the backgound with the screen off won't do half of what your texting does.

Download spareparts and check the partial wake usage of the phone from bootup. It gives you what is really killing your battery. I'll bet a dime to a dollar it's your screen.

hazynighthawk

Reaction score
lol ohhh but stil!!! =p it needs to last longer!! te screen dose take like 80% plus of my battery daily

ffej89

Reaction score
system panel. Same thing i use because it really lets you track down problem areas. Although i dont use task killers i think S.P. is great if your having power issues

GoGoSmarty

Reaction score
Battery is horrible

@ Sewy20 - Yah, my battery in the X does go by fairly quickly.. Have to charge it at least once a day.. Only drag about the phone. Folks have told me its due to it having a larger screen and because its 3G.. Smart phones are known to have bad battery life. That's why I have a charger at home and one at work.. Not sure if it will improve in time as I have had it only for 2 weeks but Ive noticed that the battery has lasted a little longer..

Suggestions Ive done include the following.

- dim the brightness manually
- after you use a widget/app, always log off. Some apps if left on all the time drain the battery..
- IF needed, do a FORCE STOP so that you have absolutely nothing running.
- Change time for email searching from every 10 minutes to every hour.

Now, I haven't noticed a big difference in doing these changes myself, but Ive noticed a slight improvement.

deranger

Reaction score
Use system panel to track the resource usage of apps rather than using one of the task killer applications. Do NOT use auto-killing apps. You're forcing the phone to run an additional app in the background, unload all the apps, then the phone will automatically RELOAD the apps because its caching the apps in memory. It's far more efficient to just quit using terribly coded apps that destroy your battery.

gary.benjam

Reaction score
battery life

mine was also pretty horrible out of the box but it seems to be getting better each day. I think just keep the display as low as you can and get rid of stuff you don't need...I am at about 16 hours of not heavy use but each day seems to go a bit longer. Good luck.