battery help

Discussion in 'Smartphone Battery Discussion' started by tsmith9191, Aug 1, 2012.

1. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a brand new Samsung galaxy nexus a few days ago. Absolutely love the phone, but the only thing is that I noticed the battery life is not very good. I had a Droid x2 prior so I know how smart phone die quick. This morning after having it off all night charging I unplug it go pick up my brother from school, come home check Facebook, twitter, etc. And the battery indicator is already saying 87%. Like it drains super fast . I wasn't sure if this was how the phone is or if I should buy a new battery. Or should I pull the battery out. Idk what to do. I love the phone though. Just a lil battery problem is all. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
  2. trink08

trink08 New Member

Drain ur battery till ur phone dies and shuts off. Then take battery out, wait a minute put back in the fully charge phone while phone is off.

Also, download app juice defender or something similar. That app can customize ur phone to help save battery life.
  3. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

I heard apps like juice defender actually cause your phone trouble because the phone has to constantly reconnect. I used to have juice defender on my x2. Maybe its better now, I'll def look into it. And draining it till it dies will help?

Also my battery usage screen now says usage 1h 15m and I'm at around 75%...
  4. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

Do NOT discharge your battery until the phone shuts off! Take it down until the low battery warning is displayed (should be 10% with ICS). Then turn the phone off and charge it to 100%. Do this two nights then your phone will be good to go for about 2-3 months. Then repeat. By tripping your low battery flag and recharging to 100% you are calibrating the battery to what full and empty are. If you discharge until the phone turns off, you may get stuck in a bootloop. This will brick your phone! There is a great discussion on this by Foxcat. When I find the thread, I will edit this post to add the link.

EDIT: Here is the link that I was talking about. In the discussion, he talks about discharging to 15%. But remember that this was started prior to the ICS release. ICS does not pop a warning until 10%. You need to wait until that pops up on your screen.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/203273-battery-dead-all-you-naysayers.html
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

moving to battery forum will have a better discussion in there i am sure foxkat will show up there eventually :)
  6. B0B0

B0B0 New Member

sub'd
  7. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

Oh I'm sorry I haven't really posted a lot I didn't know there was a battery forum. OK so run till low battery indicator then shut off and charge. I just hope nothing is wrong with my battery.
  8. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

Based on what you said, your battery is fine. I recommend tinkering with various settings until you get it optimized. I was getting 30+ hours (Bionic) until I went to an ICS leak. Now I get about 10-12 hours. Still looking for the culprit.
  9. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

Oh wow so it sounds like ics can be a lil battery hog. Well I changed the automatic brightness off and set the brightness all the way down because I see the screen is what kills the battery. So its normal for a new phone right when u get it to drain quickly? Earlier I was only using the phone for a little over an hour and I was down to 67%....
  10. wcjeep

wcjeep Member

Sounds normal for the Nexus. Wife and I each have one. For really long life disable 4g. I carried a spare battery in every vehicle. Also had two standalone chargers. The standalone charger will charge slower than the phone. Verizon had the batteries on sale for a long time. The 4g on this phone is hard on the battery. The S3 has a lot longer battery life.
  11. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

Damn I might in the future buy the extended battery
  12. trink08

trink08 New Member

Funny u say this, cause I am just now noticing the same. JD was nice for me at first but lately its draining my battery more
  13. fkr

fkr New Member

the only good battery app I have ever used is carat. it is developed by uc berkely and uses meta data to tell you what apps are know to cause problems and also what is using your own battery. good app.
  14. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

The credentials sound good. Maybe I should try that app
  15. fkr

fkr New Member

I am a heavy user and I tether allot, use bluetooth and refuse to turn off 4g. I use an extended battery and I will never go back. I have an HTC Rezound but to get 24+ hours of operation no matter what I do just makes my device more enjoyable. I never think twice about playing games or watching a youtube or TED talks vid. I am a purely functional type personality and the extra heft and girth do not bother me.
  16. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

Well I def need to buy an extended battery for my nexus. It goes down wicked fast. Even faster than my x2 did.
  17. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Even though your battery says charged it may not be 100%. When it hits 100% or thereabouts, it actually discharges a bit, before topping off again. It does this to extend the life of the battery itself. So when you unplug you could be closer to 90%. I don't recommend this at all, but if you don't care about the life of your battery, you can unplug it and plug it back in a few minutes before leaving to top it back off to basically guarantee you are closer to 100%. Doing this can potentially hurt the battery, and have an impact on the daily battery life as the battery may not hold a charge as well.

I would think that is a part of your 87% problem, perhaps it was in the lower 90s when you really started using it. Dropping 5% in an hour or so with some usage, especially if you use 4G, have things updating, screen brightness up....among many other things wouldn't be unheard of.

Battery life is such a tricky thing to pinpoint on what the problem is without a lot more information. Different usage patterns, different app combinations, different locations for different reception strengths, different settings within apps and the OS itself, among other things all can have an impact on your battery life, positively or negatively. I would recommend you look into what is draining your battery, and trying to figure out why if you don't already know, and potentially lower it's drain if possible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm <-- GSAM BM is a great tool to help you find the problem points. Lowering the brightness, disabling radios, lowering the amount of times an app synchronizes (or disabling sync completely), and many other things can be done. Perhaps you have a problematic app, that is just unnecessarily draining the battery (I have heard bad things about the Android Facebook app for example).
  18. tsmith9191

tsmith9191 New Member

OK. I just carry my charger everywhere I go lol.
  19. 1991noway

1991noway New Member

normal problem for the galaxy nexus.i get the useful advice here.dancedroid
Search tags for this page

battery stuck at 87 s3

galaxy s3 battery stuck at 87%

galaxy s3 stuck at 87%