Battery Help

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Okay, I've seen people say that they can go the entire day on one charge. I unplug my phone at around 7:30am, and by 4:30pm when I leave work I'm down to 20%. I have rooted my phone, but I am very new to Droid (got it on 4/1). What would be killing my battery? Apps in the background? Live Wallpaper?

From 7:30 to 10:30 today here is a breakdown of battery usage:

Display 27% (as expected)
Cell Standby 13%
Phone Idle 11%
Android System 10%
Android OS 10%

For those bottom four, what apps, processes, etc. can I do to help battery life?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Here's a screenshot from the Autokiller Memory app.

I'm assuming this could give me a good idea of what's draining the bottom four battery killers?

snap20110516_105508.png

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
I'll turn weather updates off to just refresh on wake. I've heard Live Wallpapers don't really affect it at all? I'm just using the stock smoke one.

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
...and is that app I have the screenshot of above a good indicator of what would be killing my battery on idle?

cece5702

Reaction score
The best thing that has worked for me is Juice Defender. I start out my day at 100% battery life and at 5:00 pm I am at 70% battery life. This is after a day of texting, reading and sending emails, Twitter and reading news at lunch time on MSNBC.

I have my Battery Manager set at Maximum Battery Saver, I turned off Push Data for emails and I have it set to fetch every 30 minutes and Juice Defender is doing the rest. It has made a tremendous difference on my battery at the end of the day. At night is when I watch news videos to catch up on the news and by the time I go to bed, I'm at 40 or 50 %. Hope this helps :).
Okay, I've seen people say that they can go the entire day on one charge. I unplug my phone at around 7:30am, and by 4:30pm when I leave work I'm down to 20%. I have rooted my phone, but I am very new to Droid (got it on 4/1). What would be killing my battery? Apps in the background? Live Wallpaper?

From 7:30 to 10:30 today here is a breakdown of battery usage:

Display 27% (as expected)
Cell Standby 13%
Phone Idle 11%
Android System 10%
Android OS 10%

For those bottom four, what apps, processes, etc. can I do to help battery life?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
I have Juice Defender Pro, but I don't like shutting off data as I would like to get notifications of e-mails coming in....but maybe I will try those settings and live with it....thanks so much for the input!

cece5702

Reaction score
I get notification for emails, its just every 30 minutes instead of my phone constantly pushing to check for new emails. My text messages come through immediately. I love it.
I have Juice Defender Pro, but I don't like shutting off data as I would like to get notifications of e-mails coming in....but maybe I will try those settings and live with it....thanks so much for the input!

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
I get notification for emails, its just every 30 minutes instead of my phone constantly pushing to check for new emails. My text messages come through immediately. I love it.

Good deal, I appreciate the help and will roll with this for a week or so :)

I also posted on an extended battery (not too long ago on this forum)...what are your thoughts on that?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Extended-BH6X-Door-SJHN0449A/dp/B004FFPJ48/

cece5702

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I have the extended battery also. So thats always a plus !

Good deal, I appreciate the help and will roll with this for a week or so :)

I also posted on an extended battery (not too long ago on this forum)...what are your thoughts on that?

Amazon.com: Motorola Droid X MB810 OEM Extended 1800 mAh Battery BH6X with OEM Door SJHN0449A: Electronics

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My advice is below...this is what I have done to get great battery life out of my stock battery...not an extended battery. On average, my battery goes 20+ hours...on my use. Days when i am not using it as much, it easily goes for 30+ hours..as of right now, my phone is sitting with 40% battery left with 31 hours, 34 minutes usage... I also do not use any "battery saving" apps as well...only what the phone comes with is necessary...YMMV..

1) Go into Settings--->Battery--->Nightime Saver Mode..this is actually IMO a better setting than Maximum Saver, at least on my Droid X.

2) Your e-mail accounts, do they sync on their own? What type of schedule? Sync only over WiFi or over 3G as well? Set them for WiFI Only if you are in a good WiFi area...extend the times out if you are mostly on 3G.

3) What type of signal reception do you have, Great, Good, Lousy or 2 Soup Cans and some String? If your signal reception is Low, your phone will work harder trying to stay connected and trying to bounce between stronger towers. If signal is really bad, but a free WiFi connection is available, switch the WiFi on and keep it on until you are in a better 3G area.

4) Do you have any Social Widgets, RSS Feed Widgets, Weather Widgets or any other Widgets/Apps that like to update themselves regularly? If so, what are the refresh times for each? Can you set them to only update on a Manual Push? If not, then set the frequency to the longest permissible time frame for your ease of use and lifestyle."

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
For 1) I always have my phone plugged in when I'm sleeping, but for during the day if you think it is better, I can give it a whirl.

For 2) I think Juice Defender shuts the access to those off? As I have turned Juice Defender back on.

For 3) I'm at 4 bars on 3G at work here. And usually the same at home.

For 4) I have weather through Beautiful Widgets and set the time to the largest amount of time, and refresh on wake (which is all I really want anyways). I use the AP RSS Feed, and that is it.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
For 1) I always have my phone plugged in when I'm sleeping, but for during the day if you think it is better, I can give it a whirl.

For 2) I think Juice Defender shuts the access to those off? As I have turned Juice Defender back on.

For 3) I'm at 4 bars on 3G at work here. And usually the same at home.

For 4) I have weather through Beautiful Widgets and set the time to the largest amount of time, and refresh on wake (which is all I really want anyways). I use the AP RSS Feed, and that is it.

Like I said...YMMV(your mileage may vary)...meaning you might experience more/less the same as I based on my recommendations...

Battery Modes are there to be used based on users preference..Maximum turns off just about every thing..basically again what you are doing with JD, so, I dont see where that is a benefit. Nightime turns off a few things, but by manually going in and reducing fetch times and auto-updating on Social Widgets actually on my phone works better. Will it work better on yours, I cant say for sure...

Juice Defender does do what I outlined...but by doing it manually, that is 1 less app that does have to be running in order to make those changes(Juice Defender). In my mind, there is no reason to add and use an app that requires battery to do something I can do myself...

3G signal impacts battery alot, but if you are in a good coverage area, then there isnt a lot you can do to help there..it is what it is. Now, when I am at home, I switch over to my Wireless Router and run off my 20MB cable connection...because WiFi is easier and less battery constraining....

BW is an awesome app, and visually it can be stunning, but it does chew up battery. After using it for awhile and having my settings in it to "refresh" at 16 hour intervals, I got to noticing when i opened up settings in it to change anything, that the "last refresh" time was no where near the 16 hours I had it set to...it was basically ignoring that setting and refreshing "On Waking"...which was impacting my battery life because I no longer wear a watch and instead use my phone as my portable time keeper... Now, I use a Live Back Ground that shows the time/date/battery stat/and wifi status...weather I will pull from Weather Bug when I need it...:)

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Since it was only $3.50 I went and got the ultimate edition of Juice Defender. Giving it a test here at work today. I use Trillian for messaging on Yahoo and Facebook, so I made an exception for that program, and I have it check my network every 15 mins while I'm at work for e-mails. There are a lot of nice options in that program.