battery: great standby time then poor standby time and back again.

givmedew

Reaction score
For starters I'd like to say I think I'm done with this phone and maybe android.

Today I started the day with a fully charged battery didn't run anything on the phone. An hour later the phone was warm and my battery was down to 78% on an extended life battery. I battery pulled and recharged then after 4 hrs of standby I had 99% battery life. Then while watching a movie I noticed the battery was warm again looked at the phone and I was down to 69% that was about 2 hrs of sitting.

This is an extended battery, I feel that both android and HTC are to blame. The OS shouldn't allow something like this to happen. HTC shouldn't release a phone with issues. My incredible can go 3 days with light use on a standard battery of course thats after a year of fixes by HTC and the modding community.

I don't want to wait for 1 entire year.

This phone has excellent standby time when whatever the issue isn't happening and then out of nowhere BOOM something happens to suck all the power. What makes matters worse is that the 4g experience sucks right now.

If I cant figure out what is causing this issue before my 14 days then I'm done and trading in for something I know will always work just fine an iphone.

Right now I have juiceplotter and from 11:17 to 11:33 I have gone from 67% to 63% while on standby.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Can anyone else install a plotter to see if you have this issue where several hours after being on you have a sudden draw issue.

OP
givmedew

givmedew

Reaction score
to make matters worse I pulled the battery to let it cool off and to start the phone from scratch and when it booted back up it said I only had 39% battery so in other words in just a few hours I would have lost an entire normal battery and then some while the phone was on standby

plongson

Reaction score
My suggestion is to ditch TB and Android and go get your iPhone. That's what you want, right?

As for threats of your desertion here...I doubt anyone really cares.

It is unfortunate that big corporate companies dump products on the public and use us for R&D trials, but that's just the way it is, and just the way it's gonn'a be.

Ya NEVER get the first year of production on a new car...unless your'e willing to take a chance on headaches. What did you expect with a new 4g phone? A year from now when all the kinks are worked out, there will be something else you just can't wait to drop your hard earned cash on... marketing genius...

It sucks, but buck-up or move on...

bodean

Reaction score
My suggestion is to ditch TB and Android and go get your iPhone. That's what you want, right?

As for threats of your desertion here...I doubt anyone really cares.

It is unfortunate that big corporate companies dump products on the public and use us for R&D trials, but that's just the way it is, and just the way it's gonn'a be.

Ya NEVER get the first year of production on a new car...unless your'e willing to take a chance on headaches. What did you expect with a new 4g phone? A year from now when all the kinks are worked out, there will be something else you just can't wait to drop your hard earned cash on... marketing genius...

It sucks, but buck-up or move on...

Well said. Those people who rush out buying the unknown w/o reading reviews, seem to always get burned

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

xan

Reaction score
im sick of paying though the nose to be a beta tester.

if they are gonna dump unfinished products on us, they sould at least be free until they get the kinks worked out.

iPhones are the same story...how do you make a version 4.0 of something that's antenna turns unusable if you hold it wrong?

if we want to compare cars to phones, its like ford putting out a car with brakes that only work on sunny days.

Last edited:

Drew_P

Reaction score
@ bodean....your absolutely right on that one. Before I got this amazing phone I googled it countless times to read up on it. Watched as many YouTube videos as I could once it was announced at ces. Then after all that I still read some MORE articles and watched MORE videos just to make sure I had somewhat of an understanding of what I was getting into. So far since I've gotten the phone I've had zero surprises and have been more than happy with the performance and battery life of the phone. Please people, research before you buy.

finally thunderboltin' and lovin it!!!!!

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
My tbolt runs like a champ everyday..and this is without an extended battery or changing all the settings..maybe the OP just got a faulty phone?? o_O

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Root it or boot it. Only way you will get great battery. Tired of everyone crying about battery. Research before you guys buy it and would have known it had battery issues. I run all day with no battery saving apps, 4G running 24/7, GPS on, and medium use. That's just fine for me... But the only way you're going to get that good of battery is by rooting.

Sent from my LightningFlare using DroidForums

OP
givmedew

givmedew

Reaction score
@plongson thanks for waisting a bunch of room your post didn't help me at all. I also highly disagree with you. This phone was delayed because of issues and when I saw the HTC rep he told me the battery on it was GREAT compared to the Incredible when it first came out. I believed him since he had the phone on him. I am not threatening anything nor am I looking for any sympathy, so please unless you know something technical to help me just can it and go flame on the disney websites.

@mark3748

Good IDEA but:
Its not the blockbuster app my TB is de bloated. I also have a second TB for comparison that is stock and I have an incredible that has exactly all the same apps installed so it is not a 3rd party app.

There is a huge thread talking about how if you underclock while the screen is off it helps a lot and I found this to be true however I think it is true because of whatever is happening to cause the issue I am having.

All we are doing by underclocking it is only allowing this rouge battery drainer to use less than 300mhz instead of the whole 1ghz.

Also this rouge draining happens wether I have enable always-on mobile data on or off.

This also happens wether I have juicedefender installed or not.

Also the stock TB is doing the same thing but it drains more energy during these little rouge drains I am guessing it is because it has FULL access to the processor on the stock TB.

Last edited:
OP
givmedew

givmedew

Reaction score
Root it or boot it. Only way you will get great battery. Tired of everyone crying about battery. Research before you guys buy it and would have known it had battery issues. I run all day with no battery saving apps, 4G running 24/7, GPS on, and medium use. That's just fine for me... But the only way you're going to get that good of battery is by rooting.

Sent from my LightningFlare using DroidForums

Oh and you can't research a phone thats brand new becasue no one has it. The only research I was able to do was talk to a HTC rep about the phone before making the purchase. They told me the battery was better than the incredible and the evo.

Also it is rooted its in my signature.

One other thing technically I am not crying about the battery life. I have an extended battery and love the battery life except with this random extreme draw that makes the phone get warm.

mark3748

Reaction score
Under battery stats, what it is telling you is using the most battery?

I'm not sure what could possibly be causing that much of an issue on a debloated TB.

I made it 28 hours on mine with moderate to heavy use (nearly 7 hours of screen on) before I gave up and plugged it in (19%!). I use exchange push, gmail push, full facebook and twitter syncing enable (default options) backup assistant, pretty much everything I can turn on. Just checked my phone, I'm at 14 hours, 27 minutes and still at 66%.

Anyhow, checking the battery use will help track down the problem, just go settings>about phone>battery>battery use.

OP
givmedew

givmedew

Reaction score
So I checked that and there where several system compenants that where near the same amount of usage as the screen itself. I don't remember what those where last time I had the issue but I think it was android system and cell standby but im not sure.

I did not have this problem today and looking at the graph it was all low draw except little blurps which I would guess is the phone checking weather, facebook, and stuff like that. No phantom 400 ma draws.

The thing is that today I spent most of the day in a 3g area where it would not be on the 4g network at all.

Could it have something to do with that? I don't want to end up like sprint people who have to turn the 4g off and on. I feel that really ruins the 4g experience and the HTC rep said that it wasn't going to be that way with this phone.