Battery drains fast!

hydro556

Reaction score
Ugh some of you guys have battery life that DOMINATES mine... and I just missed the 15th, on which I could have gotten a brand new unit. I DO NOT WANT a refurb, no way in h**l. I don't care "how good" a refurb is, I paid $300 CASH for this thing, and I want it to work RIGHT. I am really, really getting frustrated with my battery.

Funny thing is? 4G signal has improved like crazy on my phone! Was getting -62dBm earlier! But the battery, man, it just won't stay alive! ARGH

I'm going to Verizon tomorrow and demanding a new battery, and if the battery isn't the issue, I'm just going to raise H*L* in the store until I get a brand new phone. I've already been blown-off by a number of "customer service" reps, so if the place where I bought the phone doesn't do something about it, I will be calling VZW Corporate and the Better Business Bureau! This is seriously ridiculous!

I should not have to carry my charger and a car adaptor with me EVERY TIME I LEAVE THE HOUSE!

/endrant

Ugh, sorry... I am just getting fed up. Background data disabled on most apps, on WiFi constantly (pretty much anywhere except in the car), I "conditioned" the battery properly when I first got it, and I have done everything else. I have NOT rooted it, because I don't believe I should have to void my warranty to get a functional battery life.

Is anyone else as aggravated?

I am not rooted either. If you have problems getting a new battery, I would say you are doing it wrong.

Call Verizon and explain the situation. Tell them that your battery is not functioning properly, and that you have researched it, and see that most folks get better battery life and that you have determined your battery is defective. Tell them that to correct the situation, and keep a loyal customer happy, they need to put a new battery in the mail tomorrow and include a return label with which you will return the defective battery.

Very simple. If you are polite, they will accommodate you.

ETA- I am literally taking NO extra steps to maximize battery life. I dont use auto brightness, I dont worry about what is running, etc. My phone is usually on CDMA because I dont get 4g at my office. I always have wi-fi on, I always have GPS on, I never use bluetooth. I have no app's designed to increase battery life. I charge my phone overnight, and usually it doesnt go back on the charger until the next night and I am a moderate to slightly above user.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
And you really think that is normal? Or occurring with most other Nexus phones? It never crossed your mind that it is either something defective, or something that you are doing differently than most others?

I have a couple things I would like to see addressed with my Nexus, but the battery life is a positive on this phone. It has exceeded my expectations, and oddly enough, seems to be improving.

I initially bought one of the extended batteries when they were $25. I assumed it would be mandatory given the impressive hardware and huge, brilliant screen. I used it for awhile and then my Seidio surface case combo showed up and I needed to use the standard battery to fit the case. I have found no issue running the regular battery. The battery life, on a properly functioning Nexus, is excellent and far better than I thought it would be capable of given the specs. I know battery technology hasnt improved that much, so it must be something within 4.0 or the Nexus.

I think the android os issue occurs in a lot of androids. And battery drain is normal too for androids. Android as a platform has some things that repeat in all their phones.

Htown315

Reaction score
Does anyone know why android os keep awake is double what it should be? I think it is counting both cores and adding the times up( or simply multiplying by 2). I'm showing barely any wake locks in BBS app and have zero awake spots on my battery graph in settings. Screen time is 1h22m and Android OS is....you guessed it 2h44m. Has to be a mistake in ics right? Battery is at 15h40m, screen 2h22m, 35%. Pretty decent and I've hit 4h screen time in the past.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
Does anyone know why android os keep awake is double what it should be? I think it is counting both cores and adding the times up( or simply multiplying by 2). I'm showing barely any wake locks in BBS app and have zero awake spots on my battery graph in settings. Screen time is 1h22m and Android OS is....you guessed it 2h44m. Has to be a mistake in ics right? Battery is at 15h40m, screen 2h22m, 35%. Pretty decent and I've hit 4h screen time in the past.

How...that's a lot. The fact that there are phones that get such great battery life makes me wonder why there's such a discrepancy from phone to phone.

Htown315

Reaction score
Idk but I guarantee my phone was only awake for 1h22m and not the 2h44m that it states in settings. Fwiw I'm on CNA and lean 151 exp 180-1200 @ Imo's voltages.

Htown315

Reaction score
Update: I am correct that android os is reporting false awake times(x2 of reality). I used my phone for 1 additional hour and Android OS awake time increased by 2 hours.

garfull

Reaction score
My battery started out only lasting 5-6 hours. This was bad and I almost sent the phone back. But after a 2 weeks I can make it a whole day and charge my phone at work in stead of at home. I usually put about 1.5-2 hrs of screen on time with it.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Update: I am correct that android os is reporting false awake times(x2 of reality). I used my phone for 1 additional hour and Android OS awake time increased by 2 hours.

My android os is 4 times more. Today I'm having good battery and my android os is sitting at 40%. This phone is strange. I wanna do a factory reset because that sometimes solves everything but I can't back everything up with my backup because the phone doesn't have an SD card.

leearmijo

Reaction score
anybody got any suggestions. i end up at about 45% only using it for 2 hours of light to medium use. i am on aokp, with franco #13 kernal, litterally everything is off. i have 3g on with a dim screen.

Reaction score
anybody got any suggestions. i end up at about 45% only using it for 2 hours of light to medium use. i am on aokp, with franco #13 kernal, litterally everything is off. i have 3g on with a dim screen.

Not until Google fixes what ever "Android OS" is doing keeping the phone awake and sending data will it get fixed.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score

This is horrible. I would reset the phone to factory settings and maybe even remove that rom or kernel. Try something thats more popular with people that are having good luck with their roms.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Update to Franco's #13.1. And make sure you are on either the AOKP Milestone 2 or the latest Build 19. I had exceptionally good battery life with AOKP Milestone2.

About Keep Awake:

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I saw someone mention Google talk as a culprit for the camera issue and since I don't use Google talk I delete it.. also I am not sure how to disable drm content but since I don't have any music/movies on my phone I ddknt think that applies and I use maps too much to disable it..
My battery life on standby is pretty good with either Pete's nightly roms or ARHD and imoysen's lean kernel..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums