Battery draining even when plugged in?

mikeinctown

Reaction score
This morning my phone was at 80% when I left the house. Put it on the charger in the truck and grabbed the motorcycle for work. By the time I got out of my truck, the life said 90%. get to work and slap the phone on the standard wall charger and killed my weather channel widget because it was searching for a GPS signal. Opened DroidLive lite.

Been on charger all morning but i noticed that my battery life is now 40%. I have never had this problem before. I could be playing with internet, listening to DroidLive and checking e-mail and it still charged.

FWIW I did try unplugging and plugging back in. There is power at the plug and I even get that charging symbol at the top where the battery meter is showing. What I did find odd is that the back of the phone seemed to be a lot more warm than usual, as if the battery was getting hot.

Anyone have any ideas? How common is battery failure?

djpatrickb

Reaction score
Have you updated your phone's OS to 2.1? I had a similar problem with a previous phone. Took it to the Verizon store to have the software updated. Battery drain fixed.

OP
M

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Have you updated your phone's OS to 2.1? I had a similar problem with a previous phone. Took it to the Verizon store to have the software updated. Battery drain fixed.

Yea, it updated to 2.1 last week. I had the phone since December and have never had a problem before. Just started today. Really odd.

I closed down Droid Live Lite and got rid of all web browsing etc. Phone is showing as charging (the charger icon is displayed and the battery is filling green and showing just like my laptop does when charging

The old way it charged is that the battery just lit green and the charge icon showed. Also, had it this way now for half hour with everything shut down and still showing 40%. I think I might shut it off and re-boot to see if the software isn't screwed or something.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This morning my phone was at 80% when I left the house. Put it on the charger in the truck and grabbed the motorcycle for work. By the time I got out of my truck, the life said 90%. get to work and slap the phone on the standard wall charger and killed my weather channel widget because it was searching for a GPS signal. Opened DroidLive lite.

Been on charger all morning but i noticed that my battery life is now 40%. I have never had this problem before. I could be playing with internet, listening to DroidLive and checking e-mail and it still charged.

FWIW I did try unplugging and plugging back in. There is power at the plug and I even get that charging symbol at the top where the battery meter is showing. What I did find odd is that the back of the phone seemed to be a lot more warm than usual, as if the battery was getting hot.

Battery failure is not unknown, of course. And battery monitor instability is not unknown, either. The first thing I'd recommend is a battery pull. The second thing I'd recommend is buying another backup battery. At less than $11 from Amazon, they're both excellent insurance and good way to determine if problems like this are associated with a particular battery or your phone.

Amazon.com: Motorola DROID 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Service

And as long as you have an extra battery, a battery charger (or a dock that also charges an extra battery) is an excellent investment. I have the one below.

Amazon.com: NEW OEM Motorola Droid Cliq Battery Charger SPN5564: Cell Phones & Service

I make it a practice to switch batteries every week. (Just put it in my reminder app.) And when I'm away from a charger for a couple of days, I simply carry the extra battery in a baggie. So if something bizarre occurs, like a GPS induced battery drain, I always have a backup.

Altogether for less than $30 I'm set and I don't have to put an extended battery on the Droid or carry a duffel bag full of stuff for my phone.

f0rkyou

Reaction score

SAME EXACT thing happened to me last night.. I was not a happy camper.

Xaneth

Reaction score
ive seen battery drain issues myself. i rooted my droid and loaded blackdroid's ultimate droid 9.80 and its a big battery saver too. some of these custom roms change wifi scanning to once every 3 min, instead of the default 15 sec, which is a battery drain. not a bad idea to have extra battery too, thanks for the links!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

f0rkyou

Reaction score

SAME EXACT thing happened to me last night.. I was not a happy camper.

Xaneth

Reaction score
so do they make an extended battery? i forgot my charger this morning, so i turned everything off and dimmed the display, and i am only getting around 9 to 10 hours of battery life still. gonna need extended or a second battery.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Skaggz

Reaction score
I had a similar issue back in February. It turned out to be the USB cable for the wall charger. My charging LED as well as the indicator in the notification bar would both indicate that I was charging. However, the battery would continue to discharge. I went to Radio Shack and picked up a 6' USB cable and its been working fine ever since.