Battery draining 25% per hour

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S5 Discussions' started by JRParsons, Mar 11, 2015.

1. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    See the pics below. When I boot in safe mode I go about 2% per hour. Any suggestions? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,708
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    What model S5 do you have? What OS version are you running? Have you taken an update lately? Is there a reason you're running it in safe mode? How is your battery life in normal mode?

S5 tap'n

3. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the reply, it's the VW SM-G900V, with current updates. I ran it in safe mode as a troubleshooting tactic for two days in an effort to narrow down the cause of the battery drain. In normal mode the problem exists. The problem isn't always this extreme, sometimes it's 12-15% per hour, which to me still indicates a problem. I've also done a hard reset. Thanks again.

4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I don't use GSam, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen "Kernel" show up in battery stats. If I have, it certainly wasn't at the top of the list.

When you say you did a hard reset, do you mean a factory reset? (ie, wipe the phone and start over like it's brand new)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the reply, yes. I did a factory reset but let my apps auto load. I then ran the phone in safe mode and I got 2 days out of the battery. I'm guessing I have an app that's causing the drain. I'm trying to avoid going 1 app at a time, I have about 60 downloaded apps and each "test" would most likely need to be at least 2-3 hours of battery monitoring. Thanks again

6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Unfortunately, that's what you're probably looking at having to do. Running the device in safe mode disables all apps that have been downloaded from the Play Store, so even though "Kernel" is showing in your screenshot as a top battery user, the chances are pretty good that it's an app that you've installed, even though Kernel seems to be a system app.

If you tap on that entry that says Kernel, do you get any details? I know in the stock battery usage screen, some of those have a list of things that are included in them. If Kernel gives something like that, it might be possible to narrow your search down to apps that you've installed from the Play Store that have something to do with that list (if it exists. Not all entries have more info)

• Like Like x 2
  7. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks. I'm going to try another F.R. and install 1 app at a time. I'll report back in a month when I'm done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Eh. It won't take that long. You could do a couple at a time. Worst case is you have to uninstall the 2 or 3 you installed together to narrow it down further, but it'd be quicker than downloading one & watching your stats for a few hours, then moving on. Do it in clusters.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. MattE303

MattE303 Active Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Actually I think the most efficient way to determine which app is at fault would be a 'binary search'; install 1/2 of all the apps (30), then test, You've now eliminated 50% of the culprits (30 apps). Depending on whether you saw the issue or not, the problem app is either in the 30 that you loaded or the other 30. Load 1/2 of the group that contains the problem app (15) and test again, etc. Using this approach you will quickly narrow it down to the app that is causing the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I know there are many factors affecting battery life, but what kind of life do you guys get with average use. My battery dies about 35% overnight, 6-7 hours with no use. I seem to remember that number being closer to 10‰. I tried the FR and was getting almost 40 hours per complete charge. I then connected my gear watch and that went to about 30 hours (expected). I then added Facebook, down to about 24 hours. FYI Gsam seemed to adversely affect the battery more than it should have, it's gone but my battery life is still pretty poor.
    I think I may be giving up, there are various threads about this around the forums, and nobody has solved it that I could find. I'm getting tired of chasing it.
    I'm going to try again with Matt's suggestion and then maybe put it on Craigslist and look for something else.

As a side note, I really haven't been happy with my s5 like I was with my prior Samsungs, Lollipop kinda sxxks also, after the update I switched to a 3rd party launcher for the first time in years. Thanks for the help, I'm done being cranky.

11. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,719
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    If it were me I would re-flash the lollipop update via ODIN and rule out a bad OTA.

Note 4Tified

• Like Like x 1
  12. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Thank you for the reply, I assume that would require root. The last phone I rooted was a Thunderbolt. Also, in safe mode I get almost 50 hours out of a charge, From that I deduced that the OS is probably not the cause.
    I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

Search tags for this page

android kernel battery drain

s5 sm-g900v battery drain too fast