Battery Drain

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Just lately my Droid has been draining really quickly. It drops down to 50% within the first couple of hours that it is unplugged. I leave it charging all night while I'm asleep and I have been doing this since I got it 3 months ago. I don't any more apps running in the background than I have before. Any reason for my Droid doing this?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just lately my Droid has been draining really quickly. It drops down to 50% within the first couple of hours that it is unplugged. I leave it charging all night while I'm asleep and I have been doing this since I got it 3 months ago. I don't any more apps running in the background than I have before. Any reason for my Droid doing this?

I recently had some issues receiving a signal that was sucking the life out of my battery. What does your battery history say, that should tell you who's using the battery when it's down?

OP
ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Here is my battery use:

Android OS - 35%
Display - 17%
Phone Idle - 13%
Cell Standby - 11%
Android System - 10%
Android Core Apps - 3%
Ustream Broadcaster - 2% (Downloaded to see what is was. Tried it for 30 sec and never touched it again.)
Market - 2%
Dialer - 2%

I'm a very light phone user. I text a couple times per day and I rarely receive or dial calls. My phone usually says 60 - 70% when I put it on the charger at night. But lately it has been draining super fast and I don't know why. I haven't done anything different.

ShowTime

Reaction score
If you buy in to the idea that the battery needs to be conditioned to fully utilize a full charge, the fact that you are always plugging it in when it's only at a 60%-70% charge may have conditioned the battery to not take in as much of a charge and, thus discharge more quickly. I'm not sure if there's any real science behind the theory, but I for one always try to let my battery run down as low as possible before charging and let it actually die before charging at least once a week. I'm not sure if there's a certain window of time when you first get the phone to condition the battery though or if you can do it now.

OP
ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Well the other night when it died on me I fully charged it. So if that counts at conditioning my battery than I've already done that. I don't see why that'd be the problem if I've never let my battery fully die and then fully recharge it in the 3 months I've had it.

zudien

Reaction score
If you buy in to the idea that the battery needs to be conditioned to fully utilize a full charge, the fact that you are always plugging it in when it's only at a 60%-70% charge may have conditioned the battery to not take in as much of a charge and, thus discharge more quickly. I'm not sure if there's any real science behind the theory, but I for one always try to let my battery run down as low as possible before charging and let it actually die before charging at least once a week. I'm not sure if there's a certain window of time when you first get the phone to condition the battery though or if you can do it now.

Conditioning batteries is a carry over from NiCad batteries.

Li-ion batteries don't need to be conditioned nor is it recommended.

What you may be running into is a the battery level not being calibrated. What I suggest doing is letting your phone go all the way dead and then charging it up to 100%. What I am guessing has happened is that your battery level was never calibrated correctly so it's giving an improper return on the remaining battery level.

EDIT: I just read your post. You need a new battery or phone. Talk to Verizon there is something wrong.

OP
ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
So will Verizon replace my phone or battery if I take it in? I know this can't be normal and it wasn't my fault that it's doing this.

Reks

Reaction score
Here is my battery use:

Android OS - 35%
Display - 17%
Phone Idle - 13%
Cell Standby - 11%
Android System - 10%
Android Core Apps - 3%
Ustream Broadcaster - 2% (Downloaded to see what is was. Tried it for 30 sec and never touched it again.)
Market - 2%
Dialer - 2%

I'm a very light phone user. I text a couple times per day and I rarely receive or dial calls. My phone usually says 60 - 70% when I put it on the charger at night. But lately it has been draining super fast and I don't know why. I haven't done anything different.

select droid os and list what it says. there's a bakcground process continuing to run while your phone screen is off

ShowTime

Reaction score

Conditioning batteries is a carry over from NiCad batteries.

Li-ion batteries don't need to be conditioned nor is it recommended.

What you may be running into is a the battery level not being calibrated. What I suggest doing is letting your phone go all the way dead and then charging it up to 100%. What I am guessing has happened is that your battery level was never calibrated correctly so it's giving an improper return on the remaining battery level.

EDIT: I just read your post. You need a new battery or phone. Talk to Verizon there is something wrong.

That's essentially what I was suggesting. My mistake on using the wrong term. Calibrate, condition.... tomato, turkey bacon sandwich... :icon_ banana:

OP
ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Here is my battery use:

Android OS - 35%
Display - 17%
Phone Idle - 13%
Cell Standby - 11%
Android System - 10%
Android Core Apps - 3%
Market - 2%
Dialer - 2%

select droid os and list what it says. there's a bakcground process continuing to run while your phone screen is off

It doesn't say anything. It only says CPU total 42m 13s.

PhontomF

Reaction score
Here is my battery use:

Android OS - 35%
Display - 17%
Phone Idle - 13%
Cell Standby - 11%
Android System - 10%
Android Core Apps - 3%
Market - 2%
Dialer - 2%

It doesn't say anything. It only says CPU total 42m 13s.

That is way more CPU time than the OS should be taking. After being unplugged for 8 hours mine is at 4 mins CPU time with pretty heavy phone use. Definitely something not right on your phone.

I would uninstall any apps you've installed since noticing the issue and see if that helps.