Battery Drain

fragileandys

Reaction score
dont need app killer for gingerbread. the phone just eats. its the duel core. best you can do is stay off it or get the extended battery.

my wife doesnt use her D3 for 8 hours and the battery dies...

I bought the DX2 at the same time (also duel core) and my battery will last all day while making calls, playing games, web browser, etc...

it has nothing to do w/ the fact that it has a duel core processor

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Running stock blur should not be draining battery. I'm actually unrooted right now, sitting at...50% after 8 hours of moderate use. The display eats up the most battery, being on for 2 hours, and my task manager doesn't even show up under battery use. I might just root and force the phone to be constantly 1200mhz, just to see how long the phone lasts.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
dont need app killer for gingerbread. the phone just eats. its the duel core. best you can do is stay off it or get the extended battery.

Incorrect on 3 out of 4 points. Dual core has nothing to do with. Staying off of it is what seems to be really draining the battery. Many people, myself included, are still having the problems with the extended battery.

No, you don't need an app killer for Gingerbread. But as long as it's not always on and not set to auto kill apps, it's nice to have when a random app didn't shut down properly and continues to run (which can drain the battery and slow down the phone).

Running stock blur should not be draining battery. I'm actually unrooted right now, sitting at...50% after 8 hours of moderate use. The display eats up the most battery, being on for 2 hours, and my task manager doesn't even show up under battery use. I might just root and force the phone to be constantly 1200mhz, just to see how long the phone lasts.

It's true that it shouldn't, but the Droid 3 does have a newer version of Blur than your Droid 2 Global. I don't think it's the problem, but something is clearly off with the phone for so many people to be having these kind of issues. My Droid 3 has been off the charger for an hour (it was at 100% when I took it off), and it's just been sitting on my desk not being used the entire time. I just checked, and I'm already down to 84% on the extended battery. Standby time should not drop the battery that quickly. Besides the fact that Droid 3 and the Droid 2 Global are different phones (and will experience different levels of battery life), something is clearly off with the Droid 3 for many people.

Last edited:

spikejnz

Reaction score
The wife and I both have D3s that we picked up on Tuesday. I got the D1 the day it got out, so I'm used to what the "average" battery consumption should be on an Android device. This phone, though, is insane.

I charged my phone last night to 100%, went to work this morning at 8 am, and then picked up my phone to check something at around 9:45. My battery was already at 40% (!!!!) and the back of the phone was burning up like it was running constantly. I checked battery status and here's what I saw.

Cell Standby 40% (12% time without a signal)
Phone Idle 26%
Android System 14%
Groupon (need to disable the constant checks) 6%
com.motorola.home 4%
Display 3%
Android OS 3%
Maps 2%
Media 2%
com.motorola.contacts 2%

I connected my phone to my second computer to charge it--which I've done w/o problem all week. I pick the phone up about 20 minutes later to check, and I'm down to 30%. Another 10 minutes, I'm at 15%. WTF?! The phone is DISCHARGING while charging! I know the MAX output of a USB port is ~500ma, and that the wall charger is ~750ma, but there's no reason for that.

I'm seriously starting to think that this phone was a bad decision.

technogeek00

Reaction score
This could just be my phone randomly starting to work correctly, but originally if I had 100% charge when I went to bed and unplugged the phone, when I woke up it would be at about 30%. Now a few days ago I used my phone until it was 100% dead, as in it wouldn't even attempt to turn on anymore. Then when I got back home I left it off and let it charge to 100% via the wall charger. After it reached 100 I booted it while still plugged in and then unplugged it after the boot finished. Now I can leave it off the charger overnight, which to me is 8 or 9 hours, and only lose at most 10% and that's with the battery saver settings disabled.
So try completely draining it and then doing a full charge, it might work, or the batteries/phones may be defective.
Cheers

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
On the Motorola website I came across a bunch of Droid3 FAQs about Battery Life and how to properly charge your battery. Worth a read and these may help.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...sion/L3RpbWUvMTMxMTk2ODE0MS9zaWQvb1dtQWNkQWs=

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...sion/L3RpbWUvMTMxMTk2ODE0MS9zaWQvb1dtQWNkQWs=

Points of interest from these:

"You should charge the battery overnight, or at least for three hours while powered off before using."

"We strongly recommend to keep the phone attached to the charger during the initial sync."

"Use the AC adapter to charge your phone whenever possible."

"During initial set up of your Google and social networking account, your phone's battery may drain faster than usual due to the amount of data transferred. After the initial sync, and a few charging cycles, your battery will reach its maximum capacity."

rugby1

Reaction score
What is everyone using for settings to help increase battery life?

i.e.- Settings, Battery Mode, Data savings, Screen timeout etc.

How about the wifi widget. Mine is set up to connect when in house.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I am convinced that the problem with task managers is entirely human. People forget they put things in autokill and people kill things they shouldn't and so task managers get a bad name.

Yes the OS does a good job of freeing memory, but only when it needs the memory. If you want to be convinced of the need for a task killer, load and run vtok. Close it and let your phone sit the rest of the day.

For general battery problems, what I have personally observed is that it takes about 5 days and a full charge-discharge cycle to calibrate the battery settings. YMMV.

I have been trying to change one thing a day to see the result and I can say that turning off the global capabilities (setting it to CDMA only), which is the same as removing the SIM card has saved me 10% on the day. I have an extended battery so YMMV. Another 10% can be had if I don't care about facebook sync during the day. I should also point out that my data delivery is set to every 15 minutes (push is default).

I also believe I've seen much better battery over weekends when I am around good signal. I've been recording my battery level all week at the same time of the day and trying to keep my use patterns similar. With the CDMA Only setting, I reach 60% at around 8pm every night, at which time I put it in its media dock where it stays all night. Tonight will be the first weekend since I started recording the numbers.

One suggestion from elsewhere is to try shutup battery manager and that there is reportedly a setting within that will help in low signal situations.

AKD3270

Reaction score
This is actually what I did to fix my battery problems. Turns out my phone was randomly loading the bloatware that has absolutely no reason to turn on. Found this out by combing through logs that I collected overnight. The auto-kill has helped a little as well. I can keep it off the charger and not lose over 10% now.

I am so glad to hear that someone else has this issue - randomly loading bloatware.

Auto-kill has not really done anything for me, and the battery dies after 1.5 - 2 hours - just sitting idle with screen off and no WiFi or anything.

I just switched from a BB and am really upset - the phone is unusable on this basis.

Has ANYONE found a fix?

Thanx.