Battery Drain

graintrader

Reaction score
I've noticed if I fully charge/my phone and then leave it on standby overnight, it drains the entire battery after just 8 hours. Is that normal? Wifi gps and bt are off. No apps on, no signal 0%. Is anyone else experiancing this?

Snow02

Reaction score
My X did the same thing for the first few weeks too. No idea why. Now it will go a few days idle. I'd say just use it and it should improve. Batteries can have a break-in period.

fragileandys

Reaction score
my wife's D3 is having this same issue, i bought my DX2 at the same time and set both phones up, so most of the options and software are the same

However, when I go to the battery usage screen, her top 2 are 'cell standby' at 29% and 'phone idle' at 24%

while my 'cell standby' is at 7% and 'phone idle' at 5%

She uses her phone as a phone a lot more than I do.

Slawter90

Reaction score
my wife's D3 is having this same issue, i bought my DX2 at the same time and set both phones up, so most of the options and software are the same

However, when I go to the battery usage screen, her top 2 are 'cell standby' at 29% and 'phone idle' at 24%

while my 'cell standby' is at 7% and 'phone idle' at 5%

She uses her phone as a phone a lot more than I do.

I have that exact same problem.....standby and idle are in the 20-30% range while my phone just sits there doing nothing with the screen off and I have no idea why. I talked with motorola but they just gave me tips I have known about for years.

It's so annoying....my OG nor my droid 2 had this problem. Any suggestions?

OP
G

graintrader

Reaction score
Don't go to a verizon, they are worthless and will just tell you its normal. I would encourage everyone to call verizon tech support and motorola and report the problem, maybe they will admit they screwed up if we get enough complaints. Go to airplane mode at night.

Snow02

Reaction score
If your phone is mostly sitting idle, of course standby and idle are going to be the largest battery drain. Those percentages are relative to the total battery consumption. Got example, if you made a lot of phone calls, voice calls would show a high percentage and the others would be correspondingly smaller. Does that really not make sense?

My phone idle and standby are 22% and 18% right now, with 22 hours on battery and 30% left.

OP
G

graintrader

Reaction score
What you are saying makes sense. But you do not understand the problem. The problem is we are getting 8 hrs of standby on a full battery and left with 10% or less. Last night I put mine into airplane mode, which should give 300 hrs. Died after 9.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
What you are saying makes sense. But you do not understand the problem. The problem is we are getting 8 hrs of standby on a full battery and left with 10% or less. Last night I put mine into airplane mode, which should give 300 hrs. Died after 9.

Yeah, for whatever reason, standby and idle are draining the battery on my phone substantially as well. I've had it off the charger for two and a half hours now, and all the phone has been doing is sitting on my desk with the screen off while I did some work during that time. I've got the extended battery, and it's already down to 72%. There's no reason why it should drop that quickly, and standby and idle are astronomically high on the battery usage. With my original Droid, Droid X, and Droid Pro, they could sit for a couple hours in the exact same fashion, and standby and idle would still be at the bottom of the list for battery usage.

And that's after the first few days with the extended battery where I had to really try to drain it. It was great. Not so much now.

Snow02

Reaction score

Right, which means the battery drain isn't a radio issue.

Slawter90

Reaction score
I just dont see why my battery life on the droid 3 is sooooo bad compared to my d1 and d2 which all have the exact same apps and widgets.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Sounds like something a dumb rep would say, but perhaps try loading up a task manager, not the built in one. If it has autokill, TURN IT OFF. That way, it's still a task MANAGER. Use and kill the running apps, then see how long the phone battery lasts. I had similar dismaying battery life on both my D1 and D2G until I loaded one up. Combined with some ending running services. Oh and if you're feeling daring, feel free to kill some system stuff aswell. Things like search applications provider, calendar storage can go. Don't hit anything sensitive sounding though.

Sent from my cyanoblurred D2G

Last edited:

technogeek00

Reaction score
Sounds like something a dumb rep would say, but perhaps try loading up a task manager, not the built in one. If it has autokill, TURN IT OFF. That way, it's still a task MANAGER. Use and kill the running apps, then see how long the phone battery lasts. I had similar dismaying battery life on both my D1 and D2G until I loaded one up. Combined with some ending running services. Oh and if you're feeling daring, feel free to kill some system stuff aswell. Things like search applications provider, calendar storage can go. Don't hit anything sensitive sounding though.

Sent from my cyanoblurred D2G

This is actually what I did to fix my battery problems. Turns out my phone was randomly loading the bloatware that has absolutely no reason to turn on. Found this out by combing through logs that I collected overnight. The auto-kill has helped a little as well. I can keep it off the charger and not lose over 10% now.

gmtekk

Reaction score
dont need app killer for gingerbread. the phone just eats. its the duel core. best you can do is stay off it or get the extended battery.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've seen lots of theories and i'm not buying much. the dual cores only really engage when being stressed. signal is a typical drain issue. i usually get pretty crappy service here at work, yet my D3 is telling me i have full service. it has got to be the radio.

both of my D2 and D1 could go a solid 8hrs, steaming Pandora before I'd have to pay attention to the battery (usually 30-15%, depending on other activity). my D3 won't go 2hrs before I have to charge it agian.

i'm fiddling with it now, to see if it's a break-in period thing, like people suggest, although i'm not seeing it. yet.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
btw there's a difference between "cell standby" and "phone idle". if you click on cell standby, it says, "battery used by cell radio", which to me is clear indication that the radio is the primary drain here. if the phone was really sitting idle, "phone idle" should be near the top of the list.