Battery Drain while off + Very slow 3G CDMA mode

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by timnyc, Jul 10, 2011.

1. timnyc

timnyc New Member

I left the Samsung Droid Charge off overnight after charging to 100% and when I turned it on this morning it started at 73%.

This battery drain is significant. I thought keeping it off at night and when not using it would not do anywhere near that.

While using the phone, running Advanced Task Killer every time I start my phone and moving apps to SD card have not helped. (Why DO those apps keep coming back on the task killer list after i quit them and haven't opened them?)

I like this phone, and I have about 9 more days to decide whether to get this or another 4gLTE phone that isn't as beautiful. NOTABLY IN 3G mode that is absolutely necessary to run and get any day's battery life out of my Charge, I am getting .68MBps/.42MBps days to 1.2MBMps/.47Mbps max (late late nights)............In the middle of Manhattan right off Times Square! 4G is 16.0 - 21.0 MBps+

**Any inputs on the demented battery drain and slow 3G??
    ( versus even another phone like Thunderbolt or the LG Revolution that doesn't even have a forum at Verizon Forums VZW)
  2. DrPepper721

DrPepper721 New Member

First off I really think the Charge is the best 4G LTE phone out of the rest.

I really don't know why your phone drains so badly. Personally I do use Advanced task killer and it works great for me. Some applications do open when you turn on the phone even though you do not open them.

I also have the problem where the phone's 3G speed is very slow. Sometimes my phone kicks itself back to 4G if I turn on airplane mode and then I turn in back it off. I still think that you should stick with the Charge because the battery will not change a whole lot especially the Thunderbolt. The one reason I bought the Charge instead was because of its horrible battery life.

Turn off your phone at night and also charge it overnight. I always get the phone in the morning use it the whole day and then I charge it at night.

Hope this helped.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  3. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

There's no reason the battery should drain that fast if the phone is completely off. My Charge would still be at 88-90% if left idle (but on) overnight and my house is in a fairly weak 4G area and I leave 4G turned on. This applies even if I receive some texts and Gmail while it is idling. Honestly, it sounds like you either have a defective battery or phone.

There's also no reason you should be getting such poor battery life when it is on in 4G mode. However, 3rd party task killers such as ATK have been known to reduce battery life; as you mentioned, apps that it kills will reopen. This closing, opening, closing, opening (etc) cycle will drain the battery much faster than if you just let them run. There's really no reason to run one since Android 2.2 has its own built in task management. Uninstall ATK if you want better battery life.

Finally, putting an app on SD shouldn't affect battery life one way or the other. It is done simply to save space on the phones built-in storage.

As far as 3G speeds go, I've never seen 3G speeds faster than that, even on 3G-only phones (ie Motorola e815, HTC XV6800, HTC Touch Pro2). Also, for me, the Thunderbolt had the similar 3G speeds to the Charge.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Check your battery use...go to settings. Could be an app you downloaded. My thunderbolt loses literally no more than 2% if I turn data off over night...sometimes even 0%. Stand by on thunderbolt is actually better than the charge.

If you like the charge I would tell u not to change phones. I have days where my thunderbolt dies really quick and days where it goes two days. Depends on what's running in the background or whatever.

Delete task killer. Don't you know the number one rule for android? Do not use atk it's hurting your battery more than helping.

I use go launcher and it has a built in task killer. My phone literally is running like 20 programs or more.

p.s.my 3g sucks in speed lately also
  5. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

i agree, task killers are a waste.
    the only app management app i use is Start-up Auditor.
    i never turn my phone off unless im flashing, @ night i plug it in and turn on Airplane mode, last all day every day.
  6. spdivr1122

spdivr1122 New Member

1 don't use a task killer.
    2. Verizon 3g sucks everywhere which is why its slow.
    3. I started charging my phone all night powered off and I get 8 to ten hours. Not really great our anything, but I'll take it considering how ridiculously fast the 4g is

7. ajb3985

ajb3985 New Member

Your task killer is draining your battery. Uninstall it. Also turn.off your mobil data at night. That will turn off your 3g and save battery

8. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I too have horrible battery drain on 4G... i mean in 6 hours it goes from 100% to 33% with no usage. The phone crashes constantly when I drive thru 4G to 3G areas.... however I do know that the switch really pulls on the battery. I try to stay logged onto WIFI as much as I can because I can go all day (12hours) without charging it with minimal use.

Of course I love the phone so I play with the darned thing constantly.

I did learn though that the phone battery will learn to keep a charge better if you don't clear the cache and don't use a task killer.

I just learned Go Launcher has a built in task manager if you want to use it but seriously the phone does a good job alone.
  9. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

Shurple: It really sounds like you have (another) defective phone and/or battery with that kind of battery drain. I stay on 4G, even in weak 4G areas, and I can easily get 10-12 hours with moderate usage. With little to no usage, I can get 18+ hours. I never turn off 4G on my Charge.
  10. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I don't know honestly. If I go to Verizon they'll just keep giving me refurbs.

Recently I was in Las Vegas for work (and fun), and that's newly a 4G area. My original Charge, would go bonkers..... If I wanted to take a picture the native camera would lock up and I'd have to shut the power down since no other button responded (including home). When it would reboot the battery would be drained 20% or more!

So I had it replaced with another NEW phone. This one doesn't have a camera locking up issue, but sometimes the entire phone has to be rebooted when I go back to 3G because it won't switch over. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I also constantly lose all G service. 4G/3G/1x.. I was getting my nails done last week and I was 1x in the store. When I left, for about 5 minutes I had no service at all, then the 3g came back on. It has troubles switching back to 3G is what I've noticed. In that time of struggle, the battery drains.

Now, due to time, Verizon will only replace it with a refurb...... and most likely refurbed for the problems i'm having :(
  11. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Sure enough, got into 4g area and I received some android error and the entire phone died. Wouldn't turn on. Had to do a battery pull which is fun when driving.
    I have a terrible memory so i don't know what the error said.

12. bweN diorD

are you on EE4?
    if not i can give you the update, if so i recommend you flash back to ED1 or 2 and wipe everything. maybe its just a bad software flash from the factory.
    you could also try flashing the new EP1F GB leak, that has new radio files (newer than EE4).
  13. bweN diorD

on EE4 your "baseband" should look like this
    [​IMG]
  14. Shurple

Shurple New Member

What is EE4?

15. Shurple

Shurple New Member

And what's a baseband? i seriously know nothing about this stuff

16. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I can't modify posts from this app so sorry for so many posts. that picture loads as fuzz. I can't make out a thing

17. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

EE4 is the most recent OTA (over the air) update for our phones. Press Menu >Settings >About phone. Under Baseband version, you should see EE4 at the end of the top number.

Did you tap on the picture to bring it up as a photo? Or pinch to zoom?
  18. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I see now... Ok here's what i have

Baseband is I510th.06v.EE4
    Sch-I510.ee1

Kernel 2.6.32.9
    Se.infra@SEI-07#

Build SCH-I510.EE4

I just clicked on your pic posted. I am using the tap a talk app

19. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I510 no th. Smart type not so smart lol

20. Shurple

Shurple New Member

My 3rd Samsung charge will be.in my hands tomorrow. If this one doesn't work Verizon is eating.it

Search tags for this page
battery drains when plug to charge samsung showcase

does go launcher drain battery

droid incredible 2 battery drain slow 3g

if phone battery runs down overnight will i lose data

model sch 1510 samsung phone battery time on data

samsung charge slowing down

samsung droid charge battery goes dead even while phone is off

samsung sch-i510 battery drain

samsung sch-i510 battery problems

samsung sch-i510 slow