Battery Drain When Off

Discussion in 'Team Chaos' started by gloster, Jun 16, 2010.

1. gloster

gloster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Droid is consuming significant battery when powered down. Last night my battery was at around 60% when I powered down. Nine hours later, it was at critical when I tried to power up.

I am running the Team Chaos Froyo and a 900mhz p3 kernel.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or have ideas on the cause?

Thanks

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    What did your battery usage say under your about phone in the settings?

3. gloster

gloster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's only giving me stats since reboot. So I have no info about during the powered-down time. I know Spare Parts will give info for all time, but that doesn't help either. Any tools which will give me battery usage over a user-specified timer period? Then again, not sure if any tool can give accurate information for usage when the phone is powered down.

4. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I am going to assume you mean the phone is physically being turned off and that you are using a 2.1 based ROM.

The Android OS tries to predict battery usage based on past history. When you turned the phone back on it saw X hours had gone by and assumed where the battery should be. This is actually normal from my testing and observations over the last 4 months.

Once you plug the phone back in and allow it to charge for 30 minutes, you could do a reboot and watch the other side of the coin happen. It will jump in charge level. Again, it is the OS trying to predict but a second system also kicks in during a charging reboot that actually reads the real battery level. Once it sees this new higher level, that is what the OS starts reporting. And magically you could go from 20% to 60% battery charge in less than 3 minutes.

I haven't tested this under 2.2 yet but I am going to assume they haven't worked on that.

5. gloster

gloster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Skull, thanks. I'll look to see the artificial jump from the predicted level to actual.

I am running the Team Chaos Froyo ROM. I did mean when the phone is physically turned off.

6. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Looks like my assumption is correct. They expect the phone to be on 24/7 even under 2.2.

Let me know your results. I always like independent confirmation on things of this nature.

7. gloster

gloster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finished charging my phone. I checked the status shows the battery at 100%. I have now taken it off the charger and then powered down. I'm going to wait an hour and then turn it back on.

Search tags for this page

battery drains despite phone being off