Battery drain questions. Don't mean to double post but find answer to my question.

DxExs

Reaction score
Need help with battery drain issues.

Hello all, new to the forum. Ive had the extended battery for about 14 days still getting less than 15 hours and I use internet some but not as much as others. I read about juice defender here so I downloaded even though carrier says I don't need battery manager. I thought it improved battery drain at first because in first 4 hours after unplugging only used 10% but ultimately total usage was the same. Also juicedefender says it has something disabled I think its the location bc my location is inaccurate after installing juicedefender. Thanks in advance for advice.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

DxExs

Reaction score
No advice? I can't find any answers what would cause such battery drain with light to medium surfing and no pandoraa or GPS.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
In settings under battery, what does it say is using your battery? 15 hrs with the extended battery doesn't sound good, but it could be a bad read as well. Have you power cycled it a few times? ie fully charged to letting it shut down itself

Sent from somewhere...

the5barrons

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Battery life is dependent on so many variables. You can use whatever app you'd like, i.e. juice defender...no guaruntee on how long your battery is gonna last. The long and short of it:

How are your phone settings? To include, push/pull on email, FB freq, widgets, screen brightness.

What apps and what are you asking them to do with your phone. Most reputable apps don't really play a big role in battery killing.

You run an extended battery, so I can't tell you if 15 hours is good or not. I get 15 hours easily on the stock battery. So, I'd have to wonder if you've got it set up to maximize daily life.

Also, the battery could be "not so good". I had one replaced....but I firmly believe it's because I killed it first...

Additionally, think about how you use the phone...you say moderate internet and no pandora or GPS...I use more than that, plus constant texting, email, and FB. I'd consider taking all my setting to bare bones and wipe widgets and everything. Take a couple days or more to find out what maximum life you can get with the least amount of pull on the processor. Add from there.

Just an idea. Helped me find out "how" to get the most from my DX.

OP
D

DxExs

Reaction score
Thanks jstafford1, I thought I was cycling the battery as required ill try that tonight post results here. Btw like ur signature.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Thanks...and you're welcome :)

Yeah I've heard more than a few instances of the phone not reading the battery correctly. Its assuming its at one percentage but doesn't know really. If you run it dead a few times it should learn.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
D

DxExs

Reaction score
Thanks 5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score
Thanks 5barrons

Ya. And what he said about doing the battery kill & charge. Some swear by it, some don't. Just run it till it quits on its own. Then full charge. Dial *228, selection 2 to make sure your roaming is programmed current. From there...its all about the phone, its settings, the apps you run, and how you use the phone.

Good luck.

Andy

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

OP
D

DxExs

Reaction score
Here is my update such as it is... I followed both of your advice; did a battery kill twice and have deleted 10 of 14 apps some of which required full internet access, why I don't know. As of today I used 40+% in almost 6 hours. My question is; maybe its time for a new battery?

the5barrons

Reaction score
Here is my update such as it is... I followed both of your advice; did a battery kill twice and have deleted 10 of 14 apps some of which required full internet access, why I don't know. As of today I used 40+% in almost 6 hours. My question is; maybe its time for a new battery?

I don't know. After heating mine up a few times due to over-processing on my part...just running too much all the time, I took it back to VZW and they gave me a new one without question. From there, I started the DX from ground zero and started adding till I was comfy. I'm not saying your battery is toast, but I guess it could be.

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
To all! You can go from the normal 7-8 hrs of battery life to around 30 hrs of life by killing your data and background data wen your not using your phone! you wont get online updates or be synced with anything but you can pop it on every now and then n let it sync up to check for all msgs and updates. and you will have to turn data over network on before going online to web pages and receiving mms msgs to. I started killing my data because i installed swichpro from the market and it just makes it so easy. ( after changing data setting using the toggle on switchpro hit home not back and everything works great, hitting back confuses the phone and toggle)

menu, settings, data manager, data delivery

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
What is your screen display intensity set at? Try the lowest setting: 11%
But you'll have to change that to something higher if you step outdoors and it is sunny.

Inkarnit

Reaction score
To the OP, another thing you can do to improve your battery life is to root and install a custom ROM. I used to only get about 10-12 hours of battery life, but with rubix Focused (now version 1.8.6) on the stock battery I'm getting 16-18 hours with pretty significant usage. This is using wifi when I'm home, very low 3g signal at work. I keep brightness on auto and leave GPS on 24/7 since it only actually gets used when something needs it. Mobile Recovery uses it once an hour to track my phone. Screebl is also another app that seems to help with battery life so you may want to check it out as well. Once you're on a custom ROM like rubiX, you can use undervolting scripts to decrease your battery usage at all power levels. This should only be done if you're comfortable with doing all this though :)

OP
D

DxExs

Reaction score
To the OP, another thing you can do to improve your battery life is to root and install a custom ROM. I used to only get about 10-12 hours of battery life, but with rubix Focused (now version 1.8.6) on the stock battery I'm getting 16-18 hours with pretty significant usage. This is using wifi when I'm home, very low 3g signal at work. I keep brightness on auto and leave GPS on 24/7 since it only actually gets used when something needs it. Mobile Recovery uses it once an hour to track my phone. Screebl is also another app that seems to help with battery life so you may want to check it out as well. Once you're on a custom ROM like rubiX, you can use undervolting scripts to decrease your battery usage at all power levels. This should only be done if you're comfortable with doing all this though :)

Thanks inkarnit... im a navice and new to droid is there a link how to root and what rubix is? Any advice is appreciated. Btw are you using a battery mngr?