1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery Drain from Display

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by BankZ, Jul 10, 2011.

1. BankZ

BankZ New Member

My battery is draining fast (I can drain two fully charged batteries in a day) and when I look at battery usage it looks like its 70-75% display. I keep my display on "auto" and have the screen timeout to 15 seconds and "power saving mode" enabled.

Is there anything else I can do? I really don't want to have to manually tweak my display (increase when outside and decrease when inside). Is "auto" really bad? Is there a way I can tweak the settings for "auto"
  2. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

I have no problems with my display when set to Auto. Even with fairly heavy use I still get 10-12 hours out of a battery charge.

What else do you have running on your phone? What is your normal usage like?
  3. spdivr1122

spdivr1122 New Member

I keep the brightness on basically nothing. The only time I bump it up is through power control when I can't see the screen outside.bi usually get 8-10 hours that way. Not the best, but still not the worst.
    Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  4. KKDV

KKDV New Member

I have the same issue, the battery drains in 6 to 8 hours with light use, and almost all of it is from the display. Isn't led supposed to use less power?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  5. jneusch

jneusch New Member

I am getting a full day of 12 hrs + with my display set at about 75% brightness. This is with moderate use in a 3G area. I know it will be less in 4g, but it seems like there may be another app that is killing your battery. My phone is showing that 73% of my battery use is from the display, but I am at 38% battery off the charger for 13 hrs today.

Is it possible you have something or things auto updating or syncing too often?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. rbess1965

rbess1965 New Member

Try turning off Google Location Services or at least make sure Latitude is not running. If you don’t want to do that, at minimum, remove any widgets that use location services like weather or ‘Rate this place’ or at least make sure they are not automatically using it to locate your position. Use your zip code or something. I make sure all 3 location service are off and only enable it when I run something that asks for it.

Apparently people knew about this issue long before it hit the smart phone market.
    http://gigaom.com/mobile/google-latitude-will-it-kill-your-phones-battery/

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=6bcdbe3c9425039c&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=65078e909326f3e6&hl=en

Also turn off Background Data in Sync. Unfortunately that is what puts the ‘smart’ in smart phone because it sync’s everything and makes everything run automatically which in turn is one of the main reasons these phones can’t run as long as a non smart phone. So if you can find a balance between having automatic email notices and better battery life, then maybe this will help a bit.

I’ve had my Droid Charge for about 2 months now and personally, I was averaging 11-12 hours of basic use which I thought was good. I turned off my Google Location Services for the first time, deactivated the Background Data, took the unit off the charger at 6:30pm and found myself looking at 24% battery left after 22hrs.

I use ‘My Profiles Lite’ to have one touch controls for Home, Car, Work & Night modes. Works great. If you try other apps that do this automatically, catch22, they require location services to sense where you are.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. joemontana

joemontana New Member

I'm a brand new smart phone user, I have a Droid Charge.

How do I turn off the google location services, etc?

My battery life is pretty bad, I use Advanced Task Killer, but it seems like I kill a bunch of tasks, then I do it 15 minutes later and there are a bunch of tasks running again.

Joe Fisher
    Kalispell, MT

8. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator Premium Member

First get rid of the Task Killer, they don't help and actually cause more problems than they solve. plus they are always running in the background using battery.

Second, to turn off Google location services, Go to Settings/Location & Security/ then un tick the Google Location services tick box.
  9. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

There is no since in spending all the money on this smartphone if you have to disable all the "smart" just to be able to use it as a "dumb" phone for more than the 3-4 hrs of use.

I'm sending mine back

Cya
  10. jneusch

jneusch New Member

Wow, that's too bad. It's a great phone IMO with pretty decent battery life for a smart phone. I leave location services, GPS, background sync, etc all turned on and get 12+ hrs. I have had my share of smart phones, starting with the Palm Treo line and this is not bad. I compare the battery life of the Charge to the iPhone 3GS that I had. The only smart phone that has a truly outstanding battery life is the iPhone 4.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your device that can be rectified or have it exchanged if you are still under your return period. If it is all about battery life you may want to look at the iPhone 4. My wife has it and the battery life is impressive.

Good luck whatever you do.
Search tags for this page
battery drainingin my droid charge
battery drains fast charges slowly samsung c321i
cell phone display setting is draining my battery
display is killing my cell phone battery
display on droid draining battery
high battery drain from samsung charge
my display drains my battery in 30 seconds
my samsung battery drain when i charge

samsung charge battery drain

samsung charge battery draining