Battery discharging, while charging!

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by kxs783kms, Apr 6, 2010.

1. kxs783kms

kxs783kms Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the low down. I'm using UDv9.0 with adamz medium volt 1.0ghz kernel, OC'd at 1 ghz. I took a trip to St. Petersburg, FL from my home town, which is about 1 hour and 30 mins away. When I left the house, my phone was fully charged at 100% and I plugged my phone into the car charger while I was in my drive way. (*I also launched google maps navigation at the same time.*) So by the time I made it to my destination, my battery was down to 60%! How could that be, when my phone was charging the entire time? I thought that when the phone is charging and it's in use, that the battery wouldn't drain. The charger was from Verizon, with the Verizon logo on it, so I believe it's a pretty decent charger. I bought it for my Storm2 and once I switched to the Droid, I continued to use it since it was the same hook up. So my question is, what was the problem? The car charger, the rom, or the kernel? Or is the drainage something that is suppose to happen with navigation, regardless if it's connected to a charger? Are there certain car chargers that put out more power? If not, what's the fix for this if there is one? Thanks for your reply's in advance.

2. hypura

hypura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing I can think of is that you used more battery with your Navigation than the car charger supplied power to your phone. Navigation does drain tons of battery and things, after all. I may be wrong.

3. junpar

junpar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The droid has a specific voltage that it charges at. Your Storm2 charger may not have been able to deliver the amount of voltage it charges at with the stock wall charger.

4. JT3

JT3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if anything it'd be the amperage, not the voltage, since all USB is 5V (Micro, Mini, Standard... doesn't matter in this case).

However, the amperage should be the same, because I don't think Verizon has more than one Micro USB charger.

Are you sure the Droid showed the "charging" symbol? It sounds like your recepticle may be out... blown fuse perhaps? Or, maybe it just wan't making a good connection.

5. junpar

junpar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the wall charger is 5.1v. Not sure if that makes that big of a difference.

6. kxs783kms

kxs783kms Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To my knowledge it was JT3. To be honest, I just plugged it in and took off. I didn't notice the battery percentage until I got to my destination. I know the phone was pretty hot though. I did pay attention on the way home and it showed the lighting sign, but the battery never fully charged. It just kept showing the charging status going from medium to full.

7. fUry327

fUry327 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever you use navigation you should ALWAYS turn your OC back down to the stock speed range. Try turning your speed down to 550/600 and then putting the phone on the car charger and use navigation. See if you can reproduce the discharge.

I'm almost 100% that this will fix your issue because I use navigation alot and I've gone through this before.

8. GohanBurner

GohanBurner Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The problem was the storm 2 charger. If you charge with any other charger than the one the.Droid comes with it may read that its charged 100%, but in reality it is about 40-50% charged. Having it connected to the car charger actually did charge it a little.

9. madsquabbles

madsquabbles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i use chargers other than the droid charger - it's still wrapped in the box - and have no problems.

the droid is picky about chargers though. two others i used with my touch pro make the droid go crazy and randomly start registering screen taps.

10. tcayton49

tcayton49 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I had this problem before too. Had a stock Droid 2.0.1 plugged in my charger, took a 3 hour drive using navigation the whole way. When I got to my destination the phone was at 50%. Weird thing is, when I drove back home, used same charger, used navigation, and when I got home it was fully charged again.
    Odd.

11. mtnbikenc

mtnbikenc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this happen on when running stock 2.0.1 on a long trip while using navigation. I had the phone in the car dock and was connected to a Motorola branded car charger. I noticed it when I made a rest stop and the phone was very hot. After letting the phone cool down, I plugged it back in and it started charging. Instead of putting it in the car dock I just left it in a cup holder and it didn't have a problem charging the rest of the trip while driving hours at a time with navigation running.

This is what I figured was the problem: Using the phone in the car dock (window mounted) puts the phone in direct sunlight which was causing additional heating of the phone. <assumption>The internal temperature sensors shutdown the charging circuit when the temperature got too high.</assumption> This over heat protection feature is on other devices that charge their batteries and is a safety feature to prevent damage to the device or the user.

If possible, I would try to reposition the phone so it is not in direct sunlight while driving or in a position where cool air is blowing on the phone. Using the car dock at night posed no issues.

12. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

And this post wins the theory of the day award :) The Droid does have protections built in. So far I have found one for the CPU and for the Battery.

Here is the basics. As the battery crosses 110F it actually discharges faster. As it reaches 120F, it really starts to ramp up. At 140F the battery can reach thermal run away and discharge at the maximum rate destroying the individual cells.

I cover this subject in my overclocking thread.

Search tags for this page
android discharging
android phone discharging

battery status discharging

battery status discharging android
discharging battery status
udv9
what does battery discharging mean
what does discharging mean on phone
what does it mean when your phone battery is discharging
what does it mean when your phone is discharging