battery consumption on galaxy nexus

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Is there a way to lessen battery consumption on my galaxy nexus running aokp build 40 its burning through battery life to quickly the only apps i have constantly running is facebook twitter and my messaging app

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
check your update intervals. Might want to turn those off altogether. Also check to see if how long your phone is in "keep awake", could be a deep sleep issues with a conflicting app.

immortal_ben

Reaction score
^ This

Plus, what I have done is limit myself to three homescreens (not sure if this actually DOES anything, tho), two widgets, turn off 4G and GPS unless actually using them, and turn down your screen brightness.

Also, I have read that the FB app really sucks the juice and many people are uninstalling it.

Last edited:

xxpigxx

Reaction score
^ This

Plus, what I have done is limit myself to three homescreens (not sure if this actually DOES anything, tho), two widgets, turn off 4G and GPS unless actually using them, and turn down your screen brightness.

Also, I have read that the FB app really sucks the juice and many people are uninstalling it.

Yeah, FB is harsh. I use Friendcaster now. I like it a whole lot better

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
immortal_ben said:
You can do that too, but try actually addressing the problem, not covering it up.

i really haven't a clue on how to fix the problem other then use Facebook less? Im not sure how kernels work either i never used one before

immortal_ben

Reaction score
Turn off auto app updates from the Play Store, reduce weather update interval (if you have one), turn off 4G unless actually using it, use wifi as much as possible, turn off GPS unless actually using it, reduce the number of home screens, reduce the number of widgets, turn down screen brightness, reduce the time until your screen turns off, and uninstall the FB app and install Friendcaster.

If you want to see exactly what is using your battery then dl Badass Battey Monitor

Try all of that before you get one of Franco's kernals (which are awesome)

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
immortal_ben said:
Turn off auto app updates from the Play Store, reduce weather update interval (if you have one), turn off 4G unless actually using it, use wifi as much as possible, turn off GPS unless actually using it, reduce the number of home screens, reduce the number of widgets, turn down screen brightness, reduce the time until your screen turns off, and uninstall the FB app and install Friendcaster.

If you want to see exactly what is using your battery then dl Badass Battey Monitor

Try all of that before you get one of Franco's kernals (which are awesome)

Can you tell me.what franco kernal does

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the kernel that comes with aokp works very well. I mean it may have alot to do with your battery drain, but I got a feeling it could be a rogue app or just your regular apps not closing out of them properly. I ran aokp and got great battery life. I'm currently on a JB ROM and the battery life is amazing, barely drains the past couple hours and I've sent maybe 30 text messages and played a bit of scramble with friends.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I'm still stock but this works for me. I get about 12-15 hrs uptime from each battery (usually about 2hrs screen on time and 2-3hours of music).

I created a widget using Elixer 2... I have other functions on it but the battery saver for me is turning off mobile data with a toggle. I turn off my data when I'm not using the phone. I still get texts and calls as they come in. When I get home I pop onto the wifi network. I don't actually use less data but my phones not trying to stay synced up all day but that's fine when I'm at work. I just turn on data throughout the day when I want it.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to diagnose this issue before flashing a new kernel or else the issue is likely to repeat. You need to do two thing to diagnose this:
  1. Download CPU Spy from the play store
  2. Download Badass Battery Monitor from the play store
Now, this is very simple. Once you've installed both, let them run on their own (you don't need to do anything, they will run in the background collecting data from your phone's cpu and os). The goal here is to test for deep sleep. If your phone is not reaching deep sleep, you'll know there's an issue. While running this test, make sure your phone is NOT charging, since a phone cannot enter deep sleep while on a charger.

After running this for a while, open up cpu spy. You'll see each cpu slot with a time and %. Deep sleep should be at the bottom. What's that %? If it's not showing there, and instead listed under Unused CPU states, then there's something wrong.

Next open up Badass. What's using your battery up? Screen should always be your main offender. App usage high? Click on it and it will give you a detailed look. If you find an app with unusually high %usage, click on it and check the wake locks.

Do that and report back.

alboboy10

Reaction score
How do you stop apps that have several wake locks. My Google maps has high wake locks and my battery has gotten worse recently.

I tried force stopping the app, pulling the battery.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do you stop apps that have several wake locks. My Google maps has high wake locks and my battery has gotten worse recently.

I tried force stopping the app, pulling the battery.

You on Jellybean? If so, open maps and let it lock your position. Then close maps. Its a known bug.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2