battery charging questions

thinkgreen

Reaction score
I had my phone plugged into the computer, It took FOREVER to charge. I didnt know that there were 4 options to chose from when you plug it in. Anybody know how long for sure it takes for the battery to fully charge?
Thanks

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid X should be plugged into the wall to charge it. USB just doesn't have the juice. Should take about an hour to charge via wall charger.

OP
T

thinkgreen

Reaction score
thanks,, I have the phone now charged into the wall,HOWEVER it has been at 80 % battery life for about an hour and a half.I dont know why its taken forever to charge,

thanks for your help

OP
T

thinkgreen

Reaction score
I know that. When it says 80% it means its 80%
Charged. What i was saying that the phone. Has been charging for
Over an hour and a half and its still has not reached
the 100 %level

OP
T

thinkgreen

Reaction score
sorry I was out at a concert and reading from my phone. I found that info where the time and date it. When its charging it gives me the %. It said 50 then took for ever to get to 80.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm still not getting this. Are you saying that you got the info through phone settings > about phone > status ?

The reason I'm asking is that if you got the info off of an app/widget, those can be inaccurate or need time to calibrate.

Did it ever reach 100%?

photodan70

Reaction score
I'm still not getting this. Are you saying that you got the info through phone settings > about phone > status ?

The reason I'm asking is that if you got the info off of an app/widget, those can be inaccurate or need time to calibrate.

Did it ever reach 100%?
He must mean on the lock screen... ha ha. I wondered myself. The screen that pops up when hit power button and you havent unlocked it.:)

memnv

Reaction score
is your phone getting hot when you charge it, I have heard if it gets over 110 degrees when charging then it stops charging, unplug it and plug it back in and see if this helps

Migamix

Reaction score
heat and charging

that was the issue i had, working in a hot house, having the phone in my pocket, it would refuse to charge when it hit 117degF, let it cool down, put it in a cool dry place for a few min before plugging it in. the act of charging and those flowing electrons, just heats it back up.

its false to say all USB ports do not provide charging power, as most systems do provide enough voltage and amps to charge it somewhat, but many computers have specific ones that provide a higher level of current. RTM of your computer to see which port that is.

as always, a power cycle cant hurt, killing those power hungry apps too.

whiteymack

Reaction score
When you have your phone plugged in to charge, and the phone is asleep with a black screen, press the power/lock button at the top of the phone and you will be brought to a lock screen, this screen will give the time and date, and the charging status of your phone while plugged in, it will either give you an integer in % or will say charged if it is fully charged, thats where he was getting the 80% from

kg4tax

Reaction score
Using a wall charger is definitely the best way to charge. But if you are using a computer for charging, be sure to install the appropriate driver (USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA). Without installing the driver, the current from the USB port will not be sufficient to charge the battery. The standard for USB drivers allows the device being charged (the phone, in this case) to be interrogated if it can support charging currents of 100 mA, 500 mA, or 1 A. I'm not sure which the Droid X uses (probably 500 mA, since the supplied charger provides 850 mA), but without the driver, it will operate in low-power (100 mA) mode, which is not sufficient to charge the phone.