Battery charging Problem, need advice /guidance

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by chrstdvd, Jul 18, 2013.

1. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If my phone is on and, say has a 45% charge, I plug it into charger. The battery Icon on top indicates the phone is charging. Laer I hear the sound that the battery is charges. When I look, it is at 43%. If I just leave it alone, i will hear the sound cycle often saying battery is charged.

Only way I can charge battery is to do a battery pull, then plug the phone into charger while phone is off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. leeshor

leeshor DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +473
    That's a strange one. It could be the charging port or the cable going bad but beyond that its a puzzle. Wish I could be more help.

Would it be possible, if it happens frequently enough, take it to your carrier's store and try their charger?
  3. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure I can take it to the store, but I have three different chargers plus the computer. Same for all.
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat Resident Novelist...LOL! Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, Baby!!
    I'm going to rule out the charger cable and charger. The phone is recognizing the charger and the voltages are in range otherwise the phone wouldn't show the charging icon. The battery is likely fully charged as the charging circuit is detecting that the battery has reached a fully charged state, hence the beeping indicator. This is based on the fact that the battery won't pull any more current.

My educated opinion is that the meter has fallen out of sync with the battery. This is a common problem and can go either way where it shows levels that are higher than the actual State of Charge (SOC), or lower as it appears yours is. Fortunately, yours is exhibiting the less risky of the two possibilities. Also fortunately, if my suspicions are correct the fix is very easy though it will take about two days to complete.

First, you were charging with the phone powered on. I'm going to ask you to power the phone completely off, then plug into the charger as normal. This will allow the phone to attempt to charge the battery in the charge-only mode, without the phone using power and interfering with the meter's measurement process. This prices may not take very long at all since I believe the battery is either already fully charged or very close. Out may however take as long as 3.5 to 5.5 hours. To check the progress, briefly press and release either volume button. The display should show a large battery icon and the percent of charge.

Once the charge reaches 100%, remove it from the charger and power out up normally. Next, use the phone normally but unlike the way you may have used it in the past, this time I want you to us out until the meter indicates the battery levels at 10%. The phone should display a pop-up telling you to connect to the charger at that point. Do not reconnect to the charger until you reach that pop-up indicator.

Once you reach 10%, just as previously - power the phone off completely and charge with power off to 100%. Once this process is completed your meter should display accurate levels again.

This procedure should be performed about once every 2 to 3 months to prevent this from happening again.

Please report back with your successes.

Good luck. :D:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  5. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK Fox, that is the only way I can charge it, but powering it off, then pulling the battery for a few minuets. If I power off and immediately connect charger I get the green battery that shows a charge equivalent to the percentage when turned on and it will cycle with that noise after a while and never fully charge.

After I pull battery out for a few, then put back in, and connect charger, I get the same green Battery icon with the same amount of charge as is indicated when on. [the on indicator says 50%, the off icon shows half green.] I charged her up yesterday like this and I will go to the Icon that comes up requesting the connect to charger. We will see if that clears it up. It has been on 17 hrs and 36 minuets and is at 72% charge right now. Thanks.
  6. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, Baby!!
    Well, 17.5 hours of charging is outrageous and extreme overkill. The charge time shouldn't be more than a few hours for your battery size. Below is a capture from your phone's owner's guide page 7, and it clearly indicates that a battery from full discharge should take only 4 hours to charge completely.

Droid Charge.PNG

Click on image to enlarge.

They also indicate (as most manufacturers do), that the battery must be fully charged initially BEFORE operating the phone. This is related to the setting of the battery SOC flags, as described above.

I would say that perhaps your best plan of action is to simply pull off the charger now, use it to the 10% warning and THEN start the meter training process as described above. In other words, let's push this battery down to the low charge limit FIRST. This will set the Low Battery flag for the phone, then it's very likely that the phone will charge to 100% in that charging session immediately afterwards.

Also, I was mistaken about how to identify where in the charging process you are with that phone since I didn't realize it was a Samsung phone initially.
  7. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Must have expressed it incorrectly. I charged the batter using method described to 100%. The phone has been on and in use or standby for 17 hours and is or was then in use 17 hours.
  8. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, Baby!!
    Ok, so let's just say I misread what you wrote. So as you indicated, you'll run it down until it tells you to charge it, then you'll power it off again and charge the same as before to 100%. If all goes well, that should resolve the misreading of remaining charge that the meter is showing.

Good luck! :biggrin:
  9. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Fox, I finally got the msg that the battery war low. At 9 PM on 19 thI placed it on charger like you said to do. at 4 am when I got up, it had not charged at all. I pulled the battery for a few and then put it back in. I then placed it on charger. By 8:30 AM on 20 th I had a full green icon with 100% inside it. I powered it up an did a few things in email and with the Facebook app. It was at 80 %. I uninstalled Battery Bot Pro nd reinstlled it. Still at 80 %. I uninstalled it again. Used the phone normally until I got the message to plug it in around 11AM today. I pulled the battery for a few, stuck it back in, and connected to charger. It is now 3:40 PM and the green part of the battery is at around what i consider 80 %.

So without Battery Bot Pro, it is charging way slower. Let ya know when it gets to 100% and I turn it on and use it.
  10. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +605
    Next time you pull the battery try rubbing the contacts on the battery and where they contact the phone with a pencil eraser. Crud buildup could be causing false readings.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
Search tags for this page
android battery is pulled out

charging icon shows but never charge

droid charge charging problems

how to fix the charging port on my galaxy s3

htc dna charging problems

my android phone charge but does not display accurate charge
s3 no charging sound
samsung galaxy s4 battery icon troubleshooting charging