Battery change in the RAZR XT912

Abby Normal

Reaction score
So my battery is getting weird. I found on line how to change it and I have the tools needed..... I am waiting for my new battery to come in, due to be delivered today...

Anyone here done this already and is there anything I should be aware of before attempting the battery change ?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
One thing I would recommend is when you are separating the cover from the back of the battery, and also when separating the battery from the rest of the phone, applying firm, steady pressure, but not to much pressure, pushing the parts apart, not with the intention of separating them quickly, but with the intention of allowing the adhesive to let go slowly so you don't tear the adhesive. You know you have enough pressure when you can hear the adhesive making faint crackling sounds.

It can take two to three minutes of constant pressure before the two will finally come apart cleanly. Applying some direct and gentle heat from a heat gun before hand can speed this up but you run the risk of softening and distorting plastic parts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
One thing I would recommend is when you are separating the cover from the back of the battery, and also when separating the battery from the rest of the phone, applying firm, steady pressure, but not to much pressure, pushing the parts apart, not with the intention of separating them quickly, but with the intention of allowing the adhesive to let go slowly so you don't tear the adhesive. You know you have enough pressure when you can hear the adhesive making faint crackling sounds.

It can take two to three minutes of constant pressure before the two will finally come apart cleanly. Applying some direct and gentle heat from a heat gun before hand can speed this up but you run the risk of softening and distorting plastic parts.

OK Thanks for the info.. I think I won't chance the heat gun but will do the slowly separate with some pressure....

One last question.....

Any idea why they put the adhesive in there and should the new battery be installed with adhesive or is there enough residue from the old battery to suffice ?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Depends on whether the adhesive stays on the battery or the cover. It's actually a thin clear sheet with adhesive on both sides. The better battery suppliers give you new adhesive. It's there to create a lamination between all parts which increases strength and reduces flex. Leaving it out will result in it feeling flimsy.

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
Ahhh I see....... Thanks once again, I will let you know how it all turns out.......

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
Are there any clips on the bottom of the phone case or does it just lift off once the adhesive is loosened,,,

Never mind the cover is now off....

Battery changed and it booted up fine.......

Only issue I had is the battery came with the bottom adhesive only, nothing for the top case side....

So I carefully removed the adhesive from the old battery and again carefully installed it on the new battery without wrinkles etc........

Seems all is well and Thanks once again for your help with this.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Are there any clips on the bottom of the phone case or does it just lift off once the adhesive is loosened,,,

Never mind the cover is now off....

Battery changed and it booted up fine.......

Only issue I had is the battery came with the bottom adhesive only, nothing for the top case side....

So I carefully removed the adhesive from the old battery and again carefully installed it on the new battery without wrinkles etc........

Seems all is well and Thanks once again for your help with this.

Excellent! One thing I appreciate more than anything else is when someone knows how to accept instructions and appreciates that with those instructions comes the experience of trial and error to save them time and undue grief. You, sir have given me a complement without trying. I am duly impressed that you went the extra step to remove the used adhesive from the battery for reapplication between the battery and cover, and make sure to apply with no wrinkles.

You make an excellent student.

You score 100%!

:icon_ banana:

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
Thank You for the kind words, great instructions, and very good grade :hail: