Battery calibration

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by bacK_N_87, Jan 10, 2012.

1. bacK_N_87

bacK_N_87 New Member

I bought an extended battery and was trying to calibrate it. I was trying to find out do you have to have a custom rom or can you be stock????

Sent from my DROID3
  2. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

In order to properly calibrate your battery you must be rooted. Doesn't matter if its stock or a different ROM.
  3. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

I tend to disagree. If you discharge your phone until it shuts off and then charge it all the way without unplugging then it seems to calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity just fine. I do this once every 2 months but not more often than that.
  4. bacK_N_87

bacK_N_87 New Member

Yeah I wouldn't even have permission to do it if i weren't rooted. I did it with battery calibration by nema. Process was quick is it suppose to be quick?

Sent from my DROID3
  5. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

Just follow the procedure I gave you and you'll be good to go. You don't want to run Lithium-based batteries down all the way too often so that's why I do it once every 2 months. The discharge until phone shuts off then charge all the way without unplugging procedure should be done after an OS update, after a factory reset, and when you get a new phone or change batteries.

On a side note, dial *22899 every month to update PRLs. These two things are pretty much the only maintenance I do on my Droid 3.
  6. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Like I said, in order to PROPERLY calibrate your battery you do need to be rooted. Doing your method takes a while for the battery stats to correct them selves. By using the using the application the OP mentioned its instant calibration and you don't necessarily have to run the battery till it dies and it doesn't hurt anything if you do. (this is new technology, li-ion batteries will always have a charge even when your phone dies)

OP, yes, the process is that simple and fast. It may take a day or 2 for it to be noticeable if you don't let it die.
  7. RangerAL

RangerAL New Member

*22899 ? What are PRL's? Enlighten me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  8. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

I doubt that the phone's manufacturer would say that rooting is the way to properly calibrate. In my experience, the method I mentioned works well and is the proper and only way for stock phones. The battery stats are correct as soon as the battery is charged fully. Can you explain how your method's "instant calibration" works and why it takes 2 days?

It's true, the phone should prevent the battery from behind discharged (or charged) to the point where damage occurs. I should have said that people shouldn't try to somehow overly discharge nor should they try to run the battery down quickly. And on the other side of things, leaving the phone charging for extended periods ends up cycling the battery thus shortening the battery's overall lifespan so that's not a good idea either.

Yes, I think Verizon recommends doing it every month. It stands for Preferred Roaming List or something--the phone's knowledge of the cell network or some such science.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. doogald

doogald Active Member

It's really not instant calibration at all. What it does is it wipes the battery stats off the phone as if the phone were fresh. Then you really need to do something similar to your procedure anyway - let it discharge well (it doesn't necessarily need to be until loss of power) and then charge full.

So, it's instantly wiping bad battery calibration stats off the phone - a better description.
  10. Alcapwn89

Alcapwn89 New Member

11. bacK_N_87

bacK_N_87 New Member

I'm not trying to improve it I'm trying make my phone accurately read my extended battery. I don't want my phone saying 5% when I still have 5 hours left on it.

Sent from my DROID3
  12. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Hard to believe this after owning multiple android devices different extended batteries and flashing roms for the past 3 years. Considering the length of time that I've been doing this, I can say that if you do not calibrate you battery after flashing a new rom or puting in an extended battery, it will not correctly read the battery and in turn cause your phone to die eiher before the battery is actually dead or before the % reaches 0 or like the post above said have it read 5% when it actually means 20%. I've encountered this many time BTW.. Would of been nice to have an explanation of WHY this happens. I also wipe battd not just batterystats.bin. Diane Hackborn is a reputable source of information but she doesn't give reason for current situations.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  13. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

I don't know about deleting battery stats, but the discharge/charge procedure I've outlined sure does seem to work for me. See here:

Source: How to Prime Batteries - Battery University

In other words, the phone figures out the battery's capacity and current state if you cycle it.
  14. Alcapwn89

Alcapwn89 New Member

I would suggest you take your questions to the google engineer who posted that.

I think I would rather trust someone who has first-hand knowledge on the matter (the person who works at google on Android) than random people on the internet who offer little more than anecdotal evidence...
  15. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

lol....I like the comment about manufacturers caring about your calibration and whether you have to root or not. Let's be honest....Manufacturers would PREFER your battery to NOT be calibrated....that way they can entice you to buy a new phone, more chargers, or simply another battery.

It's all about profit. Not quality of product, functionality, or ease of use.
  16. Alcapwn89

Alcapwn89 New Member

Now your getting into tinfoil hat territory.
Search tags for this page
battery calibration for note 2

calibrate note 2 battery

galaxy note 2 battery calibration

galaxy note battery calibration

how to calibrate galaxy note 2 battery

how to calibrate note 2 battery

how to calibrate samsung galaxy note 2 battery

note 2 battery calibration

note 2 calibrate battery
note 3 battery calibration
samsung note battery calibration