Battery & Android OS

OP
N

nfe522

Reaction score
Oh, I also should mention that when I am having the problem with the high CPU usage, the phone runs slowly and freezes sometimes as well, and it also tends to be pretty hot at times even when I am not using it.

Also, I did uninstall the Task Manager and I am still having that problem.

And is there a way that I can tell which apps are downloaded vs which apps are installed to the phone?

Last edited:
OP
N

nfe522

Reaction score
Oh, and now I have yet another problem. Ever since yesterday it has been taking foreverrr to charge, both in the wall and in the computer. I had it charging in the computer for over 12 hours yesterday (10 while I was sleeping, so no use) and it only got up to 80%. A few hours later it finally got to 100. I'm thinking it's probably best to just go to Verizon this weekend.

Rocky

Reaction score
Here are some recommendations for battery battery life: Make sure your phone is on CDMA (not global or GSM), turn down you screen brightness to the lowest level you can tolerate, if you have email being fetched set the time interval to as high as you can tolerate (better yet, have those emails forwarded to gmail and let gmail push those emails to you), live wallpaper eats battery life, turn the time the screen is on to 30 sec or 60 sec, turn off WiFi, GPS and Bluetooth until you are actively using them.

[FONT=&quot]Battery Life[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here's my tips (Individual items may not apply your phone):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]12. Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. This will help with battery meter accuracy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]13. D2G - go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile network and change the network type from global to CDMA only. The d2g is locked out from using the local GSM networks in the US. You don't need global radio turned on in the US just overseas. Go into Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode > and turn off the default setting of Global and turn on CDMA. This assumes you are in the US.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]14. If you have ad blocker, turn it off.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]15. If you are using Launcher Pro, try switching to ADW for a while.[/FONT]
Thanks to both of you guys. Very good tips I'll consider as well.

Oh, I also should mention that when I am having the problem with the high CPU usage, the phone runs slowly and freezes sometimes as well, and it also tends to be pretty hot at times even when I am not using it.

Also, I did uninstall the Task Manager and I am still having that problem.

And is there a way that I can tell which apps are downloaded vs which apps are installed to the phone?
I've had the same issues. Makes you wish there was an app that'd troubleshoot, identify what exactly is eating up that battery.

Oh, and now I have yet another problem. Ever since yesterday it has been taking foreverrr to charge, both in the wall and in the computer. I had it charging in the computer for over 12 hours yesterday (10 while I was sleeping, so no use) and it only got up to 80%. A few hours later it finally got to 100. I'm thinking it's probably best to just go to Verizon this weekend.
I'm on my first week with the D2G, and all the Verizon guy wanted to do to "fix" this was to install a Task Killer. I didn't let him do that. Afterwards he just gave me a new battery and said that if the problems persist, they'll exchange the phone.

I'll see if following at least some of the suggestions in this thread help improve my battery drain problem.

My D2 didn't give me this much battery-related problem... as far as I can remember.

Regards,
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Boomer. I just realized this isn't a Droid 2 Global subforum. Hopefully it's about the same issue/solution for both phones.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My D1 takes hours to charge of a USB port. Not meant for charging. Use the wall charger for quicker charging.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

Glenn9586

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents on the extended battery: Under a normal day:
Leave my house at 11 AM with a fully charged battery, by 5 PM, it would be down to 30%; recharge fully, by 10 PM down to about 30% again, and I'd have to fully recharge.

Now, I leave at 11 AM, get home at 1 AM-ish, with about 40-50% left, with no charging during the day.

Well worth the money, wish I bought it sooner...

OP
N

nfe522

Reaction score
I went to Verizon and they are giving me a new phone. I am in college, but the phone was sent to my house, so when I am home in a few weeks I should have it finally. Hopefully it will be better after that. Haha

OP
N

nfe522

Reaction score
I am now back to the same problem!
I got a new (well, refurbished) Droid Pro as a replacement. It worked correctly and I did not have any issues with high Android OS usage for about 2 days before the problem started again. Since Android OS says "Batter used by applications when running," I decided to uninstall every single app that I had downloaded onto the phone. The problem didn't go away, so I reinstalled about 2 apps that I wanted to have for the time being and dealt with the annoying Android OS problem for a couple more days. I was going to go into Verizon on Friday and sure enough, Friday morning the problem completely stopped! Of course it returned Saturday night. I am completely baffled. :/ Any ideas?

If this helps at all, my battery manager looks like this: (I hardly used the phone during this period)
2h 29m 47s since unplugged
Android OS: 70%
Android System: 11%
Cell Standby 8%
Phone Idol: 5%
Display: 4%
com.motorola.service.main: 2%
com.motorola.friendfeed: 2%

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only time I have seen this (on my D1) was with a home replacement app.

Are you using LauncherPro or ADW?

I would remove them and try, or do a factory reset and set everything back up without anything other than stock and go from there. Otherwise they are going to have to give you another replacement.

OP
N

nfe522

Reaction score
The only time I have seen this (on my D1) was with a home replacement app.

Are you using LauncherPro or ADW?

I would remove them and try, or do a factory reset and set everything back up without anything other than stock and go from there. Otherwise they are going to have to give you another replacement.

I haven't ever had either one of those apps. I guess I should just try to do the factory reset anyway? Do you think I should try that?

It's just weird that the Android OS usage seems to be the problem and this is the second phone.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The Droid Pro does come with a task manager preloaded that you can kill apps from I think that is what the OP was talking about. As far as making battery life better just follow what everyone has already said. Extended battery helps, don't have a bunch of things updating all the time like Facebook or Twitter. Keep an eye on what is using your battery from the phone dial pad do *#*#4636#*#* and that will tell you what is using how much.

Can someone other than the OP confirm that the Droid 2 comes with a preloaded task killer? Or is it just a verizon ap the store may have downloaded when the phone was bought?

thanks

No, it doesn't come with a preloaded task killer, it just doesn't need one. Droid is smart enough to handle it's own memory without having a task killer. Task killers interfere with the way the Droid works and can cause issues down the road.

For more information on Task Killers go to to this link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

jwgraves

Reaction score
If this helps at all, my battery manager looks like this: (I hardly used the phone during this period)
2h 29m 47s since unplugged
Android OS: 70%
Android System: 11%
Cell Standby 8%
Phone Idol: 5%
Display: 4%
com.motorola.service.main: 2%
com.motorola.friendfeed: 2%

Something certainly doesn't look right...my Android OS usage is at 2%. Your's is at 70%!

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Definitely try a full wipe and factory restore. Android OS battery usage at 70% is about 65-68 percentage points too high.

OP
N

nfe522

Reaction score
Definitely try a full wipe and factory restore. Android OS battery usage at 70% is about 65-68 percentage points too high.

Ok, I'm about to do the factory restore today. I wish I could find out what is actually causing the usage to be so high though. This is the second phone that I've had the problem with.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its some OS issue.

Do you have GSM mode off? Aka CDMA mode only?

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).