Batter life experience with ShadowRom

Discussion in 'ShadowROM' started by mekman, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mekman

mekman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery life experience with ShadowRom

I would like to know everyone's battery life experience so far with ShadowRom.

So far I am having the worst battery life since I first flashed a custom rom. However, ShadowRom is the fastest rom my phone has ever run and coupled with Slayher's 1100ghz kernel I've never had battery and cpu temps as consistently cool as they are now. I just can't seem to get through a day without having to charge back up once if not twice. Anyone having a similar experience? Anyone have the best battery life ever?

#1 mekman, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. mzmtg

mzmtg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using the interactive CPU governor? That setup kills your batt fast.

3. mekman

mekman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually using ondemand. Used the interactive for a while but haven't really seen a difference between the two.

4. Quantify

Quantify Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having excellent experience with jdlfg's 800 lv kernel.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Just FYI, Performance governor uses LESS battery than OnDemand does. ;) A good analogy: driving a car on the freeway uses less gas than in the "stop and go" city.

Another fun fact: idle at 1.2ghz uses the exact same cpu cycles and battery life as idle at 125mhz.

;)

6. thc1967

thc1967 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I'm using the Chevy 1.2 LV kernel with SetCPU profiles to really crank things down when the phone isn't in use. My battery life is far better than it ever was with the stock ROM. If I could find a way to leave the thing alone all day, I'm sure a charge would last over 24 hours.

But I just can't stop playing with it...

As a side note, I rarely have BlueTooth turned on and never have Wireless turned on.

7. Sonicvenom

Sonicvenom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    screen off I have set cpu at 125mhz... so if I uncheck that profile your saying it will improve bL with moderate use...

8. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    It takes CPU cycles to calculate the constant "on demand" changing scaling variables. CPU cycles use battery.

Performance mode doesnt require CPU cycles to process the scaling variables, thus is uses no CPU cycles, thus it uses no battery.

You can have your phone set to 1200mhz with your screen off, and it will use the exact same battery as you use with it at 125mhz with the screen off.

Idle is idle, no matter what the clock is set at. ;)

9. Sonicvenom

Sonicvenom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great info.. I hated the lag it would have at times kicking back up to speed.. thanks

10. Ficarra

Ficarra Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does that mean we should set minimum and max clock speeds the same? Or have min at 250 or 125 and set it to "performance" scaling?

Edit: And should we be using SetCPU or the settings in ShadowROM? There is no option to turn off ShadowROM's built in CPU gov...

#10 Ficarra, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  11. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the lower at 550mhz for TEMPURATURE reasons only. If it gets too hot, i have it back off speed so it doesnt fry itself. I am always on Performance, though.

SetCPU overrides the native settings. It was designed like this on purpose. The native settings are set only once (super early on boot, before the boot animation even shows), and also when you make physical changes int he settings it updates right then. This is NOT a background service and never updates itself on its own. What is set is set. Since its set early on boot it give you a HUGE boost in bootup speed/time.

SetCPU comes into play after the Android OS fully boots up. SetCPU is a background service that is constantly running and monitoring the device (temp, load, battery, etc) and adjusts the settings accordingly, automatically, depending on your Profile settings.

Using both methods will give you the best results. Fast bootup with native settings, and the confidence to not burn up your device using Temperature Profiles via SetCPU.

;)

12. Ficarra

Ficarra Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip. :D