Basic SKYPE question

dwallbaum

Reaction score
Gentlefolk;

I scanned the SEARCH function, but didn't see what I was looking for in the first couple screens.

I have used SKYPE on the iPad, and it worked fine. So I initialized the SKYPE app on my Incred2, and was confused about the TOS.

If I read this correctly, SKYPE on the Incred2 calls out over the cellular network and does not work over a WiFi network. Is this correct? If so, then the purpose of SKYPE on the Droid is lost on me.

Also, apparently SKYPE is not available in another country, such as Canada? Which was my main interest in trying it, for I have a trip coming up.

Am I wildly mistaken? Or do I take the iPad so I can SKYPE while in Canada?

Thx!

ystava

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Skype Verizon gives you, or the Skype you download (white icon vs blue icon)?

Do those 2 version even work the same.

The only purpose of Skype is that it can video chat. I tried a hacked version for Froyo, it loaded and ran, but crashed for video chat. Skype tries to do too much imho. Tango is a dedicated video call program and works great in Froyo, but Tango doesn't have a PC version, so it's only phone to phone.

ystava

Reaction score
I just tried it since I upgraded to Gingerbread today. The official release still doesn't do video chat. The hacked release didn't work in Froyo, but works now, although the sound is very low.

At any rate, Skype isn't that great of a program anyway. I look forward to whatever replaces it as a multi-platform video chat.

nikecar

Reaction score
Fring used to do it, but Skype blocked it

OP
D

dwallbaum

Reaction score
Yes..I am talking about the Skype app that is pre-installed on the HTC Incredible 2, Android 2.2.1, whichever code name that one is.

So, I take it I am correct..Skype on Verizon does NOT work over WiFi, but you end up making a cell call?

I am looking for an alternative while in Canada. I thought if I dropped into a WiFi hotspot in Canada I could Skype and that would meet my needs for the length of time I am there.

I CAN add Canada to my Verizon call plan, but oddly enough, that does not include texting, simply voice calls. I am charged per text while in Canada.

None of this is critical in m life, but if there were alterntatives available, I would be interested in looking.

Thx!

ystava

Reaction score
Yes..I am talking about the Skype app that is pre-installed on the HTC Incredible 2, Android 2.2.1, whichever code name that one is.

So, I take it I am correct..Skype on Verizon does NOT work over WiFi, but you end up making a cell call?

I am looking for an alternative while in Canada. I thought if I dropped into a WiFi hotspot in Canada I could Skype and that would meet my needs for the length of time I am there.

I CAN add Canada to my Verizon call plan, but oddly enough, that does not include texting, simply voice calls. I am charged per text while in Canada.

None of this is critical in m life, but if there were alterntatives available, I would be interested in looking.

Thx!

Verizon's is "Skype for Mobile" it is white

You can download "Skype" from the market, it is blue... it may work differently.

I despise Skype so I can't help much further.

OP
D

dwallbaum

Reaction score
I am looking at the Skype Mobile version 1.6.0.7, the icon is white background with blue border.

I may try the market Skype...I have just used the iPad version a few times, so I am pretty ignorant of the whole Skype universe.

Verizon itself is very special. I call one or two numbers all the time. The others, not so much. To get to the "friends and family" level, with their free call numbers, I have to get the 900 minute package. Which means that I am not really touching my 900 mins. I am probably not going to hit 200 mins. of other calls, so I could really benefit from the 450 min. pkg., but that of course does not have "friends and family"...

Well..the company has to make a buck someway....

ystava

Reaction score
I am looking at the Skype Mobile version 1.6.0.7, the icon is white background with blue border.

I may try the market Skype...I have just used the iPad version a few times, so I am pretty ignorant of the whole Skype universe.

Verizon itself is very special. I call one or two numbers all the time. The others, not so much. To get to the "friends and family" level, with their free call numbers, I have to get the 900 minute package. Which means that I am not really touching my 900 mins. I am probably not going to hit 200 mins. of other calls, so I could really benefit from the 450 min. pkg., but that of course does not have "friends and family"...

Well..the company has to make a buck someway....

I'm ignorant why there is even a "Skype Universe". I've yet to see the program work very well for video calling, and I don't understand the benefits of VoIP for most cases except frequent international calling.

I work my Verizon plan harder than you because half my family have become entrenched in other provider services.... dad has all the minutes piled up and can't stand the idea of losing them even though he'll die with 1,000,000 minutes saved up.

birdcrazie

Reaction score
I tried GrooVe IP it works good for some but didn't work very well for me but I used it on 3G. It would probably work better on WIFI

Markster1

Reaction score
Get tango, it's free and works over wifi, 3g/4g. It works thru data as does skype.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

Markster1

Reaction score
Just checked and regular skype works over wifi but only a few phone are supported.

Get Tango.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab