Basic questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ChodeNode, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ChodeNode

ChodeNode New Member

So I spent about 30 minutes reading/researching and have some questions. I'm thinking there's probably a couple FAQ's I should have read that I didn't see, but here goes anyway.

1) Do I have to root to run custom ROMs? It looked like that was the case but I wasn't sure.
    2) Is loading a ROM similar to applying an update via the update.zip at boot? I understand there are different tools for ROM's and I've watched a couple youtubes on it, but that part wasn't clear to me.
    3) I thought I read that froyo hasn't been rooted yet. So would I have to go back to 2.1 to mess with custom ROM's?
    4) Can I still use SPRecovery on froyo? I'd had it originally when I was on 2.1 but ended up taking my phone back to stock so I could force the OTA update.

Sorry for the n00b questions. I honestly did spend time reading the FAQs but didn't see these answered in the ones I read.
  2. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 New Member

There are many custom 2.2 Roms out there. My personal favorate is simply stunning v4.5 as far as how to root there are many 1 click apps available depending on What type of phone you are using. If using a Motorola Droid 1 then you can get dm updater(not available in market) do a Google search. Also yes sprecovery does work with 2.2
    But only after you are rooted. Also any loadable rom package like any 2.2 theme package can be installed through sp by renaming to update. Also if you get rommanager from the market you can flash clockworkmod recovery via that apps main menu and install packages without renaming to update. But again you must be rooted before using rommanager.
    Sent from my droid using Tapatalk
  3. ChodeNode

ChodeNode New Member

Ok so it sounds like I would have to go back to stock to do this since I'm already on 2.2?
  4. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 New Member

If you are running the unrooted 2.2 than you are already stock. Just go on Google and find dm updater save to your SD card. Make sure unknown apps is checked and install it using androzip or astro file manager from the market. Then run dm updater and let it root the phone. Let me know if it doesn't work. Make sure you get the newest dm updater. The old one will not work with anything but the original stock 2.0.1 the the first droids were shipped with.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk
  5. ChodeNode

ChodeNode New Member

I installed it but it keeps saying g there is an update available. Installing the update fails. If I quit I can't use the app
  6. ChodeNode

ChodeNode New Member

The comment above that I can use SPRecovery on 2.2 if I'm already rooted has me confused on what I can do. Can I use RSD Lite to load SPRecovery on there even though I'm using the OTA 2.2?

Since I never rooted my phone, I'm not sure what my options are as far as being able to load ROM's. Apologies if there's a thread that explains this - I didn't see one.

Anybody have any help?
  7. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

You can use RSD lite to install SPRecovery. You can do that with the 2.2 already installed. You can do it with 2.1 or 2.0.1 also.

There is also a 2.2 FRG01B out there that will install using the stock recovery.

Pick your poison and get on with it. You can root, but you don't have to. You can wait, but you don't have to.

Nate
  8. ChodeNode

ChodeNode New Member

Thanks dude. :)