Basic Question about Home Screen

emichel

Reaction score
Hi -- I just got a Motorola Droid X a few days ago. Ok, most of you are probably a lot smarter than me, if not in general, at least when it comes to phones, since my last one was a Motorola Razr. I am having a lot of fun tweaking it, playing with wallpaper, etc. Here is one thing that is really bugging me. For some reason, those three icons on the bottom, for the dialer on the left, the center triangle in a circle to get to apps, and the contact icon, have moved to the side. I think it happened while I was watching some YouTube videos sideways. I have gone into settings, display, and toggled the auto rotate screen check box back and forth, and have also tried to drag them to the bottom when the phone is in the vertical position, to no avail. Obviously this is not an earth shattering issue, but it is bugging me, because it's not how I want it to look and I can't figure it out. grrr.

Also... what is the point of the "lock" feature? Why do I have to swipe it to the right every time I want to use my phone? Obviously it is not locking anything. Is there any way to disable it?

These are minor annoyances, though I am sure I will have more as time goes on. Even so, I love this phone! For some reason I am particularly captivated by the live wallpapers, and can't stop playing with them! :)

Thanks in advance for your help... Eileen

OP
E

emichel

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, Spaz33g, for your reply. But why should I have to download a special application to make things go back to the way they were in the first place??? I am not aware of doing anything unusual to change it, unless you want to call watching some YouTube videos "unusual". Aargh, it's stuff like this that drives me nuts. Anyway, I will keep playing with it and will hopefully figure it out.

OP
E

emichel

Reaction score
P.S.

I get it re: the "lock screen". Best to prevent any unwanted calls to Mongolia. :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I get it re: the "lock screen". Best to prevent any unwanted calls to Mongolia. :)

Lol exactly. Anyway wish I had an answer about your dock icons but that's not quite my departament. So when you say they moved how do you mean? Like did they shift a little to the left or right? Also have you tried restarting the phone to see if that fixes it cause that's always my first instinct.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think Spaz was talking about the lockscreen. since these phones are all touch screens, they have an unlock feature to prevent inadvertent activation of your phone's functions. if you're carrying your phone in your pocket, purse, whatever, and the power button gets pushed and turns your screen on, then anything touching the screen is going to cause stuff to start happening.

as for the dock bar, it sounds like you might be having an issue with a sensor that's not operating properly and detecting when you change from landscape to vertical. you may need to do a factory reset. if that doesn't work, then you may need someone to look at your phone.

good luck!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya a factory reset may be your best option but like I said I would just simply try restarting the phone first. I know I encounter random bugs like this occasionally on my d2 and a restart seems to iron out whatever kinks the phone was experiencing but if all else fails and the problem persists, you're still within your 30 days so you should be able to take it back to verizon for a replacement.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
E

emichel

Reaction score
Duh

Hey spaz33g, I turned off the phone, then turned it back on, and the icons are back on the bottom! How crazy is that?? Oh well, whatever, I just don't like it when things happen that don't make sense to me, but I guess I need to just get used to it.

Huskerkate, I do get it now in terms of the function of the lock feature. It's not exactly a big hassle to use it, I just wanted to know the purpose.

I do think this is an absolutely cool phone. I chose this one because I wanted maximum functionality in terms of video, and I think this one's got it! -- E.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey glad that worked out. Also regarding the lock screen there is an app in the app store you might want to check out. Its called widget locker. I think its like 2 dollars but its one of my favorite apps to use as it allows you to add widgets and additional sliders to your lock screen to make it a lot more functional. its not a radical change but it makes it a bit nicer to look at lol. Here's a screen shot of my setup
61ce60ed-fbb6-415d.jpg

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk