basic how to root droid 1 ?

flangrod

Reaction score
i have a verizon motorola droid 1 with 2.2.3.....ALL i want to do is root...i dont want to install roms....what is the EASIEST way to JUST root ???? (i am asking because all other posts i see combine rooting with installing roms, and i just want to root)....also, i am an older guy and not the most tech savy, so if your explanation is real techie, i probly wont be able to understand it .....any help you can give is very much appreciated....i may be old, but at least im trying !￿￿￿￿￿ thank you very much.

stemo

Reaction score
I rooted by watching a video on YouTube that had a link to something called superoneclick. I followed the instructions and its easy.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe SuperOneClick or GingerBreak would work. Let me ask you something though. Why do you want to root? If it's not to install custom ROMs or kernels, etc, why do you want to root? Are there root apps that you'd like to use? Perhaps it'd be best if you told us your ultimate goal so that way we can decide if rooting is even a necessity for you.

OP
F

flangrod

Reaction score
I believe SuperOneClick or GingerBreak would work. Let me ask you something though. Why do you want to root? If it's not to install custom ROMs or kernels, etc, why do you want to root? Are there root apps that you'd like to use? Perhaps it'd be best if you told us your ultimate goal so that way we can decide if rooting is even a necessity for you.

yes, i want to run superuser and setcpu, for the ONLY purpose to overclock. i dont want to get involved with roms, installations, etc, i JUST want to overclock !

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
yes, i want to run superuser and setcpu, for the ONLY purpose to overclock. i dont want to get involved with roms, installations, etc, i JUST want to overclock !

Well if you want to over clock, you'll have to do more than just root. You can't over clock the stock kernel. You'll need to install a custom recovery and flash a custom kernel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
F

flangrod

Reaction score
root + superuser + setcpu = overclock ?? no ??

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
root + superuser + setcpu = overclock ?? no ??

No. You're missing a custom kernel. The stock kernel is maxed at either 600 MHz or 800 MHz. You need a custom kernel that allows slots past that. Otherwise, setcpu does you no good.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
That's correct, you'll max out at 800 on the stock kernel. I would use rsd lite to flash raidzero's recovery. Then flash a custom, rooted rom.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
F

flangrod

Reaction score
That's correct, you'll max out at 800 on the stock kernel. I would use rsd lite to flash raidzero's recovery. Then flash a custom, rooted rom.

im sure it would perform better that way, but it is quite more than i am comfortable doing! i prefer to just root and use setcpu and live with the 800 mzh....so, baxk to my original question, what is the EASIEST way to root the droid 1 with 2.2.3 ???

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
im sure it would perform better that way, but it is quite more than i am comfortable doing! i prefer to just root and use setcpu and live with the 800 mzh....so, baxk to my original question, what is the EASIEST way to root the droid 1 with 2.2.3 ???

Well then that's not over clocking. In fact its almost a waste for you to root since your only goal was overclocking. And there are no one click roots available for 2.2.3 (I just checked). If you still want to root search "root Droid 1 regardless of OS" on these forums.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter

stemo

Reaction score
I checked and to correct myself I didn't use the superoneclick as said before. I used the root regardless of O.S.

If you do root then consider installing a custom rom. You will love your phone so much more lol. It isn't as hard as you think. Just download and use clockwork recovery to install.

I run a liquid gingerbread rom overclocked at 900mhz Max and min 125.

OP
F

flangrod

Reaction score
ok, i used superoneclick 2.3.1 and after a bit of wrestling it rooted....then installed setcpu and after a bit of wrestling superuser allowed it...i am now set at 800/800/performance, and im a happy camper ! thanks to everyone for all your kind help !

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
Glad you got it figured out. If you start to see you battery drain a little faster than normal, lower the minimum to a lower setting.