Baseband Update - The easy way

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gavron, Apr 2, 2010.

1. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Baseband update thread has been around for a few days and we've seen some people have issues with re-authenticating to google.

Here's the easy way.

But first, credit where credit is due.
    The original thread on the other forum where Steve posted his work so all of us can enjoy it:
    Baseband results anyone? Bueller?

The thread on this forum that points to it:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/33703-major-baseband-news-alldroid.html

The update.zip referenced in page 3 of the original thread:
    http://alldroid.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1140&d=1269997148

THE EASY METHOD:
    1. Copy the update.zip to the root of your sdcard (top level directory)
    2. Boot your RECOVERY (SPRecover, Clockwork, whatever)
    3. Make a full nandroid backup
    4. Install and allow update.zip and select update.zip. NOTE: The progress bar won't go 100% but the text will say it's done.
    5. Restore your full nandroid backup
    6. Reboot

When you reboot, depending on your ROM it may prompt you to "Activate" (so do it) but if it doesn't dial *22891... or *228 option 1.

That's it.

Enjoy

Ehud
    Tucson AZ
    P.S. I have nothing to do with this update; I just like simplifying things. If you use the update thank Steve on the other forum because I don't know if he reads here.

2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    Just an FYI but I did not do a Nandroid backup and restore. The update.zip should touch nothing but your baseband as that's all it contains.

You may want to do a backup first to be safe, but there isn't a need to do the restore, just install the update.zip and then "Activate" when the phone boots.

3. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't backup/restore you need to re sign-on to google either through gmail, the market, etc. as the baseband update *does* touch your google password and clears it.

There *isn't a need* to do a restore if you're going to re-authenticate to google but *that* is exactly the step that is frustrating most people who post about it (see referenced threads).

By doing the backup/restore the google password is restored leaving just the phone activation (*22891 or *228 option 1) as the only thing to do.

This isn't an April Fools joke.

E

4. OpalCat

OpalCat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question time (hoorah!)

What exactly is the "baseband"? What all does that encompass? What does it mean to update it (is it important? what benefit will I get?)

Thanks!

5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
  6. Chao

Chao New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    er

all of this stuff is new to me but my simple question is-
    do i update the baseband while im rooted or unrooted?

honestly what i am planning to do today is revert from 2.1 to 2.0.1, root it, update baseband, and install UD 9.whateverbdhasup sooo yeah. just want to clarify if i need to reorganize or not.

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I am pretty sure you will need a custom recovery to install this. To get a custom recovery you will need to have root access, so yes you will need to be rooted.

8. LoneGang

LoneGang New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I did all that and it worked just fine...But I live in Texas where my service carriers is and Im in Alaska. (should I activate it any way) Is there a way to restore every thing back to an hour ago.. I did a advanced Nandroid restore. Still needs to be reactivated. Right now I have a phone with all the functions. but no communications .

9. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Making a nandroid backup will not get you back to an old baseband. They are seperate.

10. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is 100% correct. The nandroid backup will only get you back to having google authenticated. You'll still have the new baseband, and you'll still need to *22891 (or *228 option 1) to activate the phone.

E

Search tags for this page

android phone bandbase update

backup baseband android

baseband android ak
cricket android update baseband
cricket gs3 baseband

extract baseband android

new baseband patch signed zip
revert-new-baseband-patch-signed.zip