baseband question - a little worried about future 3G...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jntdroid, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but i've noticed something and have a question - and i don't have a great understanding of what the baseband does and how it works with the towers...

I recently switched to C_01.43.01P, and there is a clear difference in my signal reliability. When I was on the previous one (default with 2.1, can't remember #), I never lost 3G in my office, and when I went into the restroom on our floor, it would go down a bit, but never lose it. Now on this new baseband, I lose 3G every now and then in my office, and rarely get more than 1x in the restroom, and sometimes no connection at all. Honestly, it acts exactly like AT&T did with my 3GS last year, so it has me a bit worried. I live in the DFW area, so it's not like our equipment should be out of date (with regard to towers, etc.)

I'm assuming this latest baseband (or some form of it) will go out with the stock 2.2 in a month, and it seems worse. How does this relate to the towers? Is this something that should improve over time? Is this telling of how Verizon will be in my area in the future? Like I said, I'm ignorant of how the baseband and towers work and what exactly the baseband does... hence the question.

TIA!

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    More of a subscription than anything, as I have asked in the past about the tower side of the equation.

But, I am not gonna loose any sleep over what my baseband is doing right now. I have the latest one installed, and I have not noticed any problems or differences as you have, but once the ota drops we will have a definative answer. Either to ota drop will 1) Contain that which we already have, 2) contain a newer version or 3) have no update.

If 1, then we have the current file as a standalone upgrade for those who need it. If 2, then we will certainly have this as an upgrade file in very short order. If 3, then we all know that we need to perhaps revert back to an older version, from which the files are easily found.

Sorry that you are seeing reduced functionality. I do hope someone comes along and clarifies from vzw/tower side, as I live in an area with limited reception, and often frequent areas with third party tower installations.

Craig

3. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    good points, i like your logical way of thinking!

4. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can always flash back to the old baseband. Koush has the old one under his section in rom manager.

5. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    i already did, but didn't know how that would relate to the towers in the future... again, i'm ignorant on the subject

Search tags for this page

lg p500

p509 optimus baseband unknown