Baseband/Activation Issue

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Anj, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Anj

Anj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. My phone is not activating. With the old 3P baseband I was getting relatively poor service, so I upgraded to the 0R (or whatever it is) one, and when trying to activate the phone, it would say it was activated successfully; however, it would not give me service. When I reboot, I get the activation screen again in which it will tell me it's been successfully activated, but still not give me service. *228 1 nor 2 works. I've also updated to the new 3P baseband and have downgraded back to the old 1P -- none seem to work. Neither do nandroid recoveries.

Any help?

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you in an area where you might have low signal or be roaming?

I recommend upgrading to the newest baseband (C_01.43.01P, as far as I know), going to a place that has excellent reception, and trying to activate it again.

EDIT: Here is a link to an installer for baseband version C_01.43.01P:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/50198-baseband-c_01-43-01p-no-prerequisite-required.html

C_01.41.00R and C_01.3E.03P are actually OLDER. Think of the middle section (the 43) as a more significant digit. Even though 03P is a bigger number than 01P, the FULL number 43.01P is bigger than 3E.03P.

#2 Se7enLC, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. goodBEan

goodBEan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am still kinda new to all of this. What do you mean by activation? Does that involve calling verizon and saying, help me?

Also does this baseband improve reception?

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's a call, but to an automated system.

definitely. ive had it installed for awhile now and was traveling in n california with two other people with droids as well. They were unrooted and unmodded, but i had installed the new baseband. i had signal (and data) and they had nothing.

5. goodBEan

goodBEan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the phone number that is used to "Update network coverage" when I travel to a different part of the country.

6. dmartins

dmartins Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I created an Baseband update.zip from the OTA.
    Once installed you don't reactivate your phone.(as long as it was already activated)
    The link is in my signature.
    I used it to update from C_01.3E.03P though.

#6 dmartins, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Remember, Verizon may push out a new baseband for reasons OTHER than making things better for YOU, just like the PRL may be better for THEM and not for you. (For example, they may prefer a weaker tower that costs them less...)

Let's get scientific about this. The following measurements were done by Connection Status. The phone was never moved. To apply the update.zip the phone was held in place to prevent movement. The times are close to ensure that "things that change over time" don't affect it.

These are NEGATIVE dB measurements. The lower the "number" component, the better. All times Zulu, NTP-synchronized.

Code:
    C_01.3E.03P
    Time  CDMA RSSI(dBm)   CDMA Ec/Io(dB*10)
    1548z -79              -110
    1549z -79              -105
    1550z -80              -125

C_01.43.01P
    1555  -80              -150
    1556  -80              -120
    1557  -80              -120

Returning to C_01.3E.03P [activation required]
    1603  -79              -110
    1604  -80              -120
    1605  -80              -125

E

8. ConqSoft

ConqSoft Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I had the same issue as the OP. Had to take it in to Verizon and they manually programmed it to get it working again.

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting. Do you have any more information on that test? I'm not familiar with the Ec/Io(dB*10) term..

It looks like both baseband versions provide approximately the same signal strength ( ~ -80dBm ) across the board.

It's also possible that the baseband changes do more than just effect raw signal strength linearly. Perhaps the change improves a very weak signal while a moderately good signal is unchanged? Perhaps it allows a data connection over a much lower signal?

All I know is that my Droid running CM6 and the updated baseband was able to get very weak voice and 1x data while the other two guys I was traveling with had no signal at all with their 2.1 stock Droids. We did look at the reported signal strength and were shocked to find that the measured signal was approximately the same (around -100 or -110dBm). And it wasn't a fluke occurrence - it was on numerous occasions over a long trip. Perhaps Froyo is more responsible than the baseband? Perhaps CM mods are the cause? I pointed the finger at the baseband first, since that's the most obvious and likely change to effect signal.

10. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a radio engineer. This link has information Ec/Io - Google Search

I was less happy with this baseband when it first came out and reverted. I tried the newer one because I was lured by "no activation." Then I reverted again... and the activation was one click and hit "1" :)

E

11. greatkingrat

greatkingrat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same issue.

I upgraded to the ota rooted (from bugless), then reinstalled my oc'd kernel (p3's lv 125 - 1250). everything was golden running the 1.41 radio

I installed the 1.43, and only by manually editing the settings (and obviously i don't have an a-key) can i get data working - voice and text are no-go's.

I've tried downgrading, upgrading again (all three - radio rom and kernel) and no combination works, even older ones that did work - like the same combination i think i was using before!

Currently have the p3 kernel, f22 installed for the rom, and 1.43 radio and am awaiting news on a fix (I've found another 5 or 6 people on other forums with the same issue).

I have tried the "no need to reactivate" radio but as i am already un-activated, it didnt' matter.