Barometer?

pilot25

Reaction score
Where is the Barometer? How do we know it's in the phone?

Reaction score
Suposedly it inceases accuracy/speed of the gps. I havent seen any proof that its in my gn lol

Honestly, id rather not have a useless marketing feature in my phone draining the battery.

DHO

Reaction score
The barometer is a very useful feature when you have the GPS enabled

To get a GPS coordinate you need 3 positions. X,Y,Z. Your phone can estimate X and Y based on cell towers. The barometer allows it to estimate altitude (or Z). So it allows for quicker GPS positioning. When not using GPS, I doubt it is turned on.

Creed

Reaction score
It doesn't waste battery. Basically it turns on when it tries to get a GPS lock and turns off after.

Reaction score
The barometer is a very useful feature when you have the GPS enabled

To get a GPS coordinate you need 3 positions. X,Y,Z. Your phone can estimate X and Y based on cell towers. The barometer allows it to estimate altitude (or Z). So it allows for quicker GPS positioning. When not using GPS, I doubt it is turned on.

Thing is, i use my gps daily and havent noticed it being more accurate as far as my positio goes than my bionic was.

DHO

Reaction score
It does not help in accuracy, just quickness in acquiring positioning.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct. Instead of guessing altitude, your phone now has the ability to get your altitude coordinate.

It's in there and will probably be more helpful as software is improved, as it's most likely a very software driven device.

It also helps improve our weather forecasting apps data.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
My old magellan meridian gps (2001) can get an altitude reading faster and update more often from the gps constellation, too bad that thing doesn't have updated maps otherwise I would still be using it.

That thing was da bomb. I could load it with marine maps to use on the water as well as on the road.

Basically a barometer is not needed to get altitude with a "good" gps unit.