Barnes & Noble Announces Nook Tablet & Price Reduced Nook Color and Nook Simple Touch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
barnes-noble-nook-color-android-tablet-ebook-reader.jpg

According to the latest news from the Barnes & Noble press conference from this morning, not only will we see the new Android-based Nook Tablet for $249.99, but B&N has also indicated the Nook Color will now be competitively priced versus the Kindle Fire at the same $199.99 price point. Furthermore, they announced that the Nook Simple Touch will be available for only $99.99. It seems as if B&N is really trying to get competitive again.

Here are some of the notable specs of the new Nook Tablet:
  • Seven-inch IPS display with full lamination
  • Videos up to 1080p and 11.5 hours of battery life
  • 16GB of built-in memory with an a microSD slot included for more expansion.
  • Multimedia content, wit Netflix and Hulu Plus pre-loaded on the device
  • Access to 250 magazines and periodicals, as well as comics from publishers like Marvel
While the new Nook Tablet will be a bit pricier (by $50 bucks) than the Kindle Fire, there are some decent reasons to consider it over the Amazon product. First, it has double the storage and it is further expandable. It has a better display, more RAM, free in-store device support and is lighter. Furthermore, it doesn't have the annoying ads that will be on the Kindle Fire. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet Launch & More Press Release

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
EDIT: Oh crap, sorry -- just reread the OP. :( Guess I'm not as smart as I think I am...unless "extra battery life" counts as smart.

Was thinking to myself, "Hmmm, the the NC should be $150, and the NC2 (or Nook Tablet) should be $199 to compete with the Kindle Fire." Then I wondered how the specs of the NC2 matched up against the Fire. Turns out that the extra $50 *might* actually be justified:

(1) NC2 has 16GB memory vs. 8GB on the Fire
(2) NC2 has 1GB RAM vs. 512 on the Fire
(3) NC2 has longer estimated battery life

Otherwise these two critters are very, very close (including identical dual-core CPUs).

Oh, I got all my data from this excellent, excellent comparison: Nook Tablet vs. Kindle Fire: how the specs compare

-Matt

smilepak

Reaction score
Amazon Fire -> Access to Amazon Prime Instant Video
Amazon Fire -> Integrated with Amazon MP3 Store

Downside to Amazon Fire
- No SD Card
- 8GB RAM w/ 6GB Free To Use
- 8 Hrs Battery Live / 4hrs with movies running

Damn It!