Ban for wifi & radiocomm hack???

bigkhan

Reaction score
I was just wondering where all the scared people went. Its been 4 months now since the black helicopters from the verizon SWAT team were to be landing on the roofs of the free tether crowd. For the first 2 months after the bionic release almost every thread had someone telling you not to do the free wifi tether. You will be banned, or loose your unlimited plan. Heated arguments over it. So far nothing has happened, and all these people disappeared. Maybe the helicopters picked them up instead.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

wseyller

Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone that got burned for tether even to when I was using DUN tethering with my V3M razr.

I have not done the wifi tether/radio hack but I use the Wifi Tether app which has a profile for the bionic to do infrastructure mode. I started using it with my wii to stream netflix. Looks like I'm going to rack up more than I normally do.

bigkhan

Reaction score
I have never done the radio hack either just the tether hack. Heave Been tethered since about 2 or 3 days after release. I have used from 10-25GB a month. No black helicopters on my roof.I was trying to get people to stop the scare tactics. and just thought today I haven't seen any off these people telling us not to do in a long time. I guess they realized there's nothing to worry about.

jhom

Reaction score
Is there any specific differences in use between the hotspot tether or wifi tether app?

bigkhan

Reaction score
Not that I know of. I used wifi tether on my pro. when I got the bionic the only option was to use the stock hot spot app. There was some easy hack you had to do to get it to work for free.I haven't noticed any difference between the two both work fine.

OP
jjbinks82

jjbinks82

Reaction score
I think logistically it would be difficult and more expensive in the long run for Vz to actually enforce their policy. Plus, they'd be losing lots of business.

For example, if they banned me they'd risk losing $175 a month x 24 months, which is $4200. I am but one individual, but multiply that by thousands (of other people) and you'd be in the millions of dollars!!!

And all for what?? Rooting, hacking and modifying is here to stay and it's futile to stop it. IF THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY!!!

If you ask me it's ass-en-nine to pay $30 on top of $175 just to utilize a feature already built into my phone.

Shot from an EVER DEFIANT ROOTED BIONIC

Last edited:
OP
jjbinks82

jjbinks82

Reaction score
Is there any specific differences in use between the hotspot tether or wifi tether app?

From my experience, the SQL Editor Light hack using Vz's own wifi hotspot is far more stable. I could be wrong.

Whenever I got a phone call or a text msg my tethering dropped when I used wifi tether app.

wseyller

Reaction score
They use the FUD tactic. Fear, uncertainty and doubt. They want you to fear that you would incur some consequences. It does lower the amount of people doing it, but they wont enforce it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bigkhan

Reaction score
My Bill is over $325/month. Plus they would end up loosing my other family members as well. They followed me from AT&T about 8 or 9 years ago, and would leave with me again. That's another 7 lines. They probably don't care though. All in all about $1,000 a month.

OP
jjbinks82

jjbinks82

Reaction score
My Bill is over $325/month. Plus they would end up loosing my other family members as well. They followed me from AT&T about 8 or 9 years ago, and would leave with me again. That's another 7 lines. They probably don't care though. All in all about $1,000 a month.

Exactly! I may be one individual, but I have the power of networking. You take me out and I take others with me!!

Jmhernan

Reaction score
Radiocomm tether

Hey everyone

Just an FY, I did the whole radiocomm hack on the 26th of Dec. 2011 and it all worked well thanks to tweakmydevice and team black hat. BUt my surprise after looking at my Verizon bill they were able to catch the hack an is now charging me for the tethering. Just and FYI to you all.

Jesse

QUOTE=BlacknTan;1764968]Sure it's speculation. But it's speculation based on statements by verizon that they will be cracking down on unauthorized tethering, as well as concrete steps they have taken to make it easy for them to tell who is doing it. A leading rom dev has now come along and said that they have hard-coded their new sim cards so they can tell who is tethering data. That sure isn't speculation.

The world is the way it is. Just because you don't think it's fair for big red to care about tethering, or crack down on those that do, doesn't mean they won't.

As 1337 as it would be to "stick it to the man", I will no longer tether. It's not because I'm "too scared" to do it. It's just not an emotional argument for me. With wifi hotspots as ubiquitous as they are now, It's just not worth even the small possibility of losing my unlimited data package.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Jmhernan

Reaction score
Radiocomm tether

Hey everyone

Just an FYI, I did the whole radiocomm hack on the 26th of Dec. 2011 and it all worked well thanks to tweakmydevice and team black hat. BUt my surprise after looking at my Verizon bill they were able to catch the hack an is now charging me for the tethering. Just and FYI to you all.

Jesse

QUOTE=BlacknTan;1764968]Sure it's speculation. But it's speculation based on statements by verizon that they will be cracking down on unauthorized tethering, as well as concrete steps they have taken to make it easy for them to tell who is doing it. A leading rom dev has now come along and said that they have hard-coded their new sim cards so they can tell who is tethering data. That sure isn't speculation.

The world is the way it is. Just because you don't think it's fair for big red to care about tethering, or crack down on those that do, doesn't mean they won't.

As 1337 as it would be to "stick it to the man", I will no longer tether. It's not because I'm "too scared" to do it. It's just not an emotional argument for me. With wifi hotspots as ubiquitous as they are now, It's just not worth even the small possibility of losing my unlimited data package.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

wseyller

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Just an FYI, I did the whole radiocomm hack on the 26th of Dec. 2011 and it all worked well thanks to tweakmydevice and team black hat. BUt my surprise after looking at my Verizon bill they were able to catch the hack an is now charging me for the tethering. Just and FYI to you all.

Jesse

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

Prove It. Out of the handful of times I seen someone claim this they had just registered to a forum before posting and they can't provide any proof or documentation that it happened.

bigkhan

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. this was his first post. There's no need for the radio hack anyway. Have been rooted since the ready I bought my bionic, have been using the wireless tether hack since the second or third day. also my wife uses it. This is two on the same plan. Never heard anything.

bhp117

Reaction score
I've been using the tether app also since june with my lg revolution averaged 80gb monthly and still have the unlimited data without any addtiomal charge as I check monthly

Now got the bionic for 1week I already racked up 30gb
The speed is much better compared to my old revolution